Sign in with
Your question
Solved

SSD Primary + RAID 0

Last response: in Storage
October 11, 2012 3:06:59 AM

Hey, I just recently purchased a new 120gb SSD and I was wondering how I would set up my system to where the SSD is primary (OS boot) and my two WD 640gb are in RAID 0. I have the WD drives in SATA 1/2 and my SSD in SATA3 on my ASUS Sabertooth mobo (AMD Phenom so no Intel SMRT). My UEFI BIOS picks up all the drives without problems, and I configured the drives from IDE to RAID and saved/restarted. After POST I press ctrl+f to enter the AMD RAID utility, but only the SSD appears on the list when I go to create an array. I was thinking that I need to reconfigure the SATA connections in the mobo, but maybe it's something else that I am missing? Thanks in advance.

More about : ssd primary raid

Best solution

a b G Storage
October 11, 2012 12:04:33 PM

Are you certain you have the drives connected to the controller you are accessing via ctrl-f? Generally they are color coded to make it easier to tell which controller you have the drives on. You may have enabled raid on the controller the ssd is on, but not the other drives. You could move the drives to the same controller the ssd is on, or turn on the raid option for the controller the other drives are on assuming it supports that.

Sounds like you've got your mind made on up the setup, but likely someone will question why you are using a raid 0 set.
October 11, 2012 4:42:40 PM

Thanks for the response. I never thought about the controller before, I'll need to check on my mobo. I was initially running RAID 0 on my old set up with the two HDDs, but I figured I'd get with the times and boot using an SSD and take advantage of the features that that SSDs offer with their fast seek times and set that as my OS drive. Is there another RAID configuration I should take advantage of, or should I ditch it altogether? I was under the impression that RAID0 for 2 drives is more beneficial than having the drives be individual.

Also, it seems like when I enable RAID in the BIOS, all of the SATA ports turn into RAID from AHCI, or whatever it's called. Like I am unable to select which ports have RAID or not.
m
l
Related resources
a b G Storage
October 11, 2012 5:19:03 PM

Raid 0 basically doubles the chance of data loss which is why I mentioned it. It really depends on what you are going to use the 2 drives for as to how they should be setup.

All ports on the controller will be enabled for raid, you can't set them individually. It's fine to run things that way though, it just gives you the option of putting the drives on that controller in a raid set, but you don't have to actually do that.
m
l
October 11, 2012 9:29:07 PM

tomatthe said:
Raid 0 basically doubles the chance of data loss which is why I mentioned it. It really depends on what you are going to use the 2 drives for as to how they should be setup.

All ports on the controller will be enabled for raid, you can't set them individually. It's fine to run things that way though, it just gives you the option of putting the drives on that controller in a raid set, but you don't have to actually do that.

Thanks. You were right about the SATA ports. I'm using my machine for gaming and anything that's really important is backed up on my portable HD, so I couldn't care less about data loss (oh no, I have to reinstall my games, lol). I'm guessing that I'll need to set the boot priority to the SSD and move my external SATA connector to another spot. In any case, you've been a great help, man. Thanks a bunch!
m
l
October 11, 2012 9:29:38 PM

Best answer selected by soliden.
m
l
!