Sign in with
Your question

NAS question

Last response: in Storage
October 11, 2012 4:30:48 AM

-Is it possible to turn a spare hard drive on my current desktop into a NAS and still use the desktop normally?
-Performance wise, how would my computer be affected if one drive was a NAS?

More about : nas question

October 11, 2012 4:52:37 AM

you can use your spare desktop drive and set it as a shared drive that other computers on your network can access. keep in mind that if you want to access files on the desktop with the shared drive then that desktop must be powered on.

performance wise, if no one is accessing the drive over the network there won't be any difference in speed if you were doing work on it locally.
October 11, 2012 4:58:26 AM

flank21 said:
you can use your spare desktop drive and set it as a shared drive that other computers on your network can access. keep in mind that if you want to access files on the desktop with the shared drive then that desktop must be powered on.

performance wise, if no one is accessing the drive over the network there won't be any difference in speed if you were doing work on it locally.

-Will I need any software to enable it as a shared drive?
-If someone in my network accesses the drive to use as a backup, would it affect my overall system performance? (The NAS drive is purely meant as a backup.)
Related resources
October 11, 2012 10:54:15 AM

what OS are you running?
if you using any(?) version of windows you can enable shared folders, no additional software required.

if your desktop computer hosting the shared drive is setup like this example C drive for OS and D drive for shared access.
when running a backup from a network computer it will backup to the D drive. If you don't have any programs installed on your D drive of the desktop computer then NO you won't experience any performance loss.

question I have for you, what is the connection type/speed of your computers?
ex. wired/wireless 10/100/1000
this is what is going to be a huge factor in network transfer speed
October 11, 2012 2:11:36 PM

flank21 said:
what OS are you running?
if you using any(?) version of windows you can enable shared folders, no additional software required.

if your desktop computer hosting the shared drive is setup like this example C drive for OS and D drive for shared access.
when running a backup from a network computer it will backup to the D drive. If you don't have any programs installed on your D drive of the desktop computer then NO you won't experience any performance loss.

question I have for you, what is the connection type/speed of your computers?
ex. wired/wireless 10/100/1000
this is what is going to be a huge factor in network transfer speed

Windows 7 Ultimate
i'm using wireless but I have no idea what speed... Where can I check?
October 12, 2012 1:00:57 AM

to get the actual speed that your compurer(s) are connected via wireless
start-> ncpa.cpl
hit enter, this will bring up the network connections screen, right click your wireless adapter and hit status
look for the speed and let me know what the Mbps is, then we can figure out what your theoretical max network transfer speed could be.
October 12, 2012 2:31:56 AM

flank21 said:
to get the actual speed that your compurer(s) are connected via wireless
start-> ncpa.cpl
hit enter, this will bring up the network connections screen, right click your wireless adapter and hit status
look for the speed and let me know what the Mbps is, then we can figure out what your theoretical max network transfer speed could be.

72Mbps
Is it possible to raise this? Also, my connection has been fluctuating from fast to slow recently... Any idea how I can fix it?
October 12, 2012 9:26:57 PM

ok so you're on wireless, with 72Mbps connection speed you'd have a theoretical max network transfer speed of 9 MBps (Mega Bytes).

in regards to your connection, if you have all wireless N devices set your router to operate in "N mode only" instead of "Mixed". That should give you a faster connection, you can also experiment with setting your wireless channel to a specific frequency instead of having it on auto.

also what OS is going to be on the computer/s accessing the shared files?
October 13, 2012 7:54:49 AM

flank21 said:
ok so you're on wireless, with 72Mbps connection speed you'd have a theoretical max network transfer speed of 9 MBps (Mega Bytes).

in regards to your connection, if you have all wireless N devices set your router to operate in "N mode only" instead of "Mixed". That should give you a faster connection, you can also experiment with setting your wireless channel to a specific frequency instead of having it on auto.

also what OS is going to be on the computer/s accessing the shared files?

Windows 7/Vista computers will be accessing the shared files.
How do I set my router to operate in "N mode only"?
October 14, 2012 6:09:33 AM

you going to have to look at your router manual, every router config is different. To access the administrative page it's usually 192.168.0.1 or 192.168.1.1

ok so it's pretty simple to setup a shared folder on 7, follow these steps
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc770880.asp...

or just basically navigate to the folder, right click, go to share with and hit everybody. This should give all computers full control of the share.
!