Aftermarket air coolers for GTX 480?

ambam

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2010
I know that they make water cooling blocks for the Fermi cards, but is there any company which makes aftermarket air coolers and heat sinks for the GTX 480?

The Fermi is notorious for extremely high temperatures. So, (even at stock speeds) an aftermarket cooler shouldn't hurt. I do know that countless aftermarket fans/heat sinks exist for the ATI Radeon 4xxx and 5xxx series graphics cards.

rofl_my_waffle

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2010
The card doesn't have that high of temperatues, just slightly over that of a 5970. The cards already have really high end air coolers with heat pipes and all, it is hard to top unless you go water.

Though power consumption, noise, and total heat output is a bit insane.

rofl_my_waffle

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2010
I don't think anyone can certify the lifetime of the cards. The ATI 5000 series aren't that much off, maybe 10C depending on airflow and load of course. But what is 10C worth? I personally have no idea.

The cards are backed up by warranty, so im sure the engineers got it all figured out. Won't want the company to incur too many liabilities right?

ambam

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2010

Does that heat sink work with the GPU core AND memory chips? Or just the core?

If I bought a whole PC from an electronics store, and had them put it together, do you think I would void any warranty if I bought this thermalright spitfire online and then paid them to install it?

redechelon

Distinguished
Nov 1, 2009

It cools just the core, but it comes with a bunch of of ramsinks.
I talked to them though, and they said they have a VRM sink coming out called the G2. =]
It's in that vid next to the spitfire.

Also, it comes with supports, so weight isnt an issue. You can position the heatsink either way too.
It costs 55-75$

ambam

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2010

Is it passive, or does it come with a fan?