Z68 or P67

garyhope

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2006
Is there any point to a P67 mobo now? Why bother? How much longer do we keep waiting? Any point to a Z68 or just wait for Ivy Bridge. How long does this go on? Will there ever be any kind of mobo stability for more than 6 months at a time. Where does it end? How long is a reasonable mobo cycle? Can you afford a new set up every 6 months?

Maybe it's just me in my old age, but sometimes I get confused or PO'd that I have to or am I (you, me, we) being manipulated into buying new stuff every 6 months.

My apologies for being a mite cranky or confused. Go ahead, wise me up.

Thank you.

Solution
I was looking for a Z68 mobo to replace an H67, but I found a great bargain on a P67. As Z68 is the present & future platform and the P67 is merely the present one, the price difference had to make it worth my while. And it did. I found a great P67 discounted 30%. Since I am building a multimedia/gaming rig (gaming more for the grandchildren) and use discrete graphics, do little video encoding and have a boot SSD the Z68 had very little advantage.
Gary, you are never too old or too slow to learn new tricks. Remember old age and treachery beats youth and strength any day.
Technology is constantly changing and something new will always come out. This does not apply just for computers. It's best to buy what you need, when you need it, at the budget you have. P67 is cheaper than z68 for those that don't need quicksync but still wish to OC.

garyhope

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2006
Thanks k1114, I know that in our very hyper modern world that things change constantly and at a certain point you have to decide and choose what's best for yourself at that time and accept your choice.

On the other hand, I was looking at i5 750's on 1156 mobo's and then it was 1155 P67's and then whamo, Z68's. Apparently I'm too old, slow and too far behind the curve to keep up with you young hot shot gamers. I'll survive somehow.

Thanks for the help.

chesteracorgi

Distinguished
I was looking for a Z68 mobo to replace an H67, but I found a great bargain on a P67. As Z68 is the present & future platform and the P67 is merely the present one, the price difference had to make it worth my while. And it did. I found a great P67 discounted 30%. Since I am building a multimedia/gaming rig (gaming more for the grandchildren) and use discrete graphics, do little video encoding and have a boot SSD the Z68 had very little advantage.
Gary, you are never too old or too slow to learn new tricks. Remember old age and treachery beats youth and strength any day.

Solution

ikyung

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2010
The way I shop for tech is buy something that has been out for 6months+. Upgrade every 24months.

Around 1000-1500$ every 24months is a very inexpensive hobby in my opinion.

The reason I don't buy tech till it has been in the market for 6months is because of the premier price tag on fresh out of the oven tech hardware. So basically I buy the last generation hardware and with the technology world moving so fast it isn't long till the new becomes old.

garyhope

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2006

Thanks Chester, you've given me something to think about. I love the quote about old age and treachery. It's true.

garyhope

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2006

Good point ikyung. Thanks.