Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Help: OpenGL for UT in linux

Last response: in Video Games
Share
Anonymous
July 14, 2004 4:36:56 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.unreal.tournament (More info?)

the default driver in UT is SDLGL driver, but the gameplay lags badly
sometimes. since i heard OpenGL driver is better, so i decided to use
OpenGL instead. but i'm having trouble setting up OpenGL in linux for
UT.

i edited ut ini file in the game directory
~/.loki/ut/System/UnrealTournament.ini.


[Engine.Engine]
GameRenderDevice=OpenGLDrv.OpenGLRenderDevice
WindowedRenderDevice=OpenGLDrv.OpenGLRenderDevice
RenderDevice=OpenGLDrv.OpenGLRenderDevice

but when i reloaded the game, in the preference -> video settings,
video driver displayed as <?int?OpenGLDrv.OpenGLRen...>, which doesn't
seem right. it looks and plays the same as the original SD OpenGL
driver.

i also downloaded an updated version of OpenGL driver(OpenDrv.so) and
replace the original file in the system folder, not sure if i need to
compile it before i can actually use it

any suggestions?

yeah, i'm running UT on RH linux and has a ATI rage pro card
installed.

More about : opengl linux

July 16, 2004 1:57:50 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.unreal.tournament (More info?)

xiongnu wrote:

> the default driver in UT is SDLGL driver, but the gameplay lags badly
> sometimes. since i heard OpenGL driver is better, so i decided to use
> OpenGL instead. but i'm having trouble setting up OpenGL in linux for
> UT.
>
> i edited ut ini file in the game directory
> ~/.loki/ut/System/UnrealTournament.ini.
>
>
> [Engine.Engine]
> GameRenderDevice=OpenGLDrv.OpenGLRenderDevice
> WindowedRenderDevice=OpenGLDrv.OpenGLRenderDevice
> RenderDevice=OpenGLDrv.OpenGLRenderDevice
>
> but when i reloaded the game, in the preference -> video settings,
> video driver displayed as <?int?OpenGLDrv.OpenGLRen...>, which doesn't
> seem right. it looks and plays the same as the original SD OpenGL
> driver.


http://icculus.org/~chunky/ut/

Download OpenGLDrv.int and place it System/ and that message will go away.


> i also downloaded an updated version of OpenGL driver(OpenDrv.so) and
> replace the original file in the system folder, not sure if i need to
> compile it before i can actually use it


A .so file is a compiled binary. If UT loads, then the updated file is
working fine.
Anonymous
July 16, 2004 1:57:51 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.unreal.tournament (More info?)

ravage <ravage@icculus.org> wrote in message news:<zysJc.605$N77.143558@news.xtra.co.nz>...

> Download OpenGLDrv.int and place it System/ and that message will go away.
>
>
> > i also downloaded an updated version of OpenGL driver(OpenDrv.so) and
> > replace the original file in the system folder, not sure if i need to
> > compile it before i can actually use it
>
>
> A .so file is a compiled binary. If UT loads, then the updated file is
> working fine.

thank you

now OpenGL is displayed as video driver after the change. However
it's not very different from SDL driver. i only got one resolution to
choose from: 800x600, same as with SDL. gameplay still lags in OpenGL
mode.

well, maybe it's my machine, i have UT running in RH Linux7.2 on a
600MHZ Dell machine with 192M RAM and a ATI Rage Pro card...however,
UT runs much better in Windows98 (i have a dual boot win98/linux on
this machine).
Anonymous
July 16, 2004 1:57:52 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.unreal.tournament (More info?)

> well, maybe it's my machine, i have UT running in RH Linux7.2 on a
> 600MHZ Dell machine with 192M RAM and a ATI Rage Pro card...however,
> UT runs much better in Windows98 (i have a dual boot win98/linux on
> this machine).

IIRC the ATI linux drivers often don't include an opengl driver, so you may
be doing all your rendering in software (mesa). Make sure your video card
drivers are up to date and check they support hardware accelerated opengl.
!