Sign in with
Your question

WNDR3700/Win7 64bit: puts TWO network adapters on PC and NO connection

Last response: in Networking
March 25, 2010 4:05:36 AM

I just bought and hooked up my WNDR 3700 to my Windows 7 64-bit desktop PC. The initial hook up worked fine. It is upon REBOOTING, the next morning, when I discovered a huge issue: the WNDR 3700 puts TWO network adapters on my Win 7 64-bit desktop and one of them shows an address of 0:0:0:0. As this is a desktop, naturally, this is connected via a wired ethernet connection.

FYI: my Asus motherboard's ethernet controller (built-in) is the Marvell Yukon 88E8053 PCI-E Gigabit Ethernet Controller.

The issue is that there are NO internet connections possible in this way. The only workaround is to disable all the network adapters and reconnect - this will allow internet to go through for ONE SESSION ONLY, without rebooting. Once you, say for example, turn the PC off for the evening and go to bed, the next morning, upon rebooting, the 2nd network adapter shows up again (along with the proper, expected, usual 1st network adapter showing the correct connection to the router, and NO internet connection is possible.

Oddly, the wifi portion to my laptops work fine because there is no direct ethernet connection, only wifi.

Netgear's phone support was no help: they told me to return this wireless router!
March 27, 2010 12:14:01 PM

Can you explain how you connected the PC and the router? Are both Ethernet ports connected to the router? If only one is connected, did you disable the other one?
March 27, 2010 12:17:01 PM

GhislainG: thx for posting your reply.

i connected the new Netgear router the same way as my previous DLink router: via the first ethernet port on the back of my desktop pc.

the 2nd one is not disabled - it has never been disabled, other than via Network and Sharing Center when trying different solutions during troubleshooting several days ago.

if there is anything else i can shed some light on, please ask me! i really appreciate you mulling this over on my behalf. it's a quagmire.
March 27, 2010 12:56:20 PM

IP address 0.0.0.0 mask 0.0.0.0 assigned to the disconnected Ethernet controller shouldn't cause an issue. Are you using DHCP? If so, what happens when you perform the following sequence of commands?

ipconfig (to see the current IP address)
ipconfig /release
ipconfig /renew

Is the same IP address assigned to the connected Ethernet controller? Does Internet access work?
!