Recommendations on what to upgrade?

Hamburglar_ix

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2010
Current specs:

Windows Vista 64Bit
Motherboard: ASUS P5Q Pro LGA 775 Intel P45 ATX Intel Motherboard
CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 Wolfdale 3.0GHz (overclocked to 3.6 gHZ)
Video card: Radeon HD 4870 512 MB
Hard Drive: HITACHI Deskstar P7K500 HDP725050GLA360 (0A35415) 500GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive
RAM: OCZ Reaper HPC Edition 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800

Well I just finished a big job and I have about $400-$500 to spend on upgrading my computer. I think would like to buy a $200 solid state drive, posted another thread asking questions regarding that in another section.

That leaves about $300. What would you folks recommend upgrading to increase overall speed of the computer and gaming FPS? Kind of a noobie here so go slow with me :)

Thanks a lot.

tecmo34

Administrator
If you are wanting to increase the speed of your PC, I would recommend going with the OCZ Vertex 2 60GB SSD, which should leave a little over $300 for your GPU up grade. I would go with an XFX Radeon HD 5850 for your GPU. Also, I would go with the GPU upgrade first than fit into your budget the best SSD you can purchase. A more power GPU will have the single biggest benefit in a gaming build.

If you can sell your 4870, you might be able to upgrade to an ATI 5870 for even better performance.

edit: Changed my typo of 4890 to 4870, which is what the OP has.

GunBladeType-T

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2010

Some More Ram to take advantage of 64bit OS which uses more than 4GB like another 2G-4GB Like mushkin from newegg and a few more hard drives in raid-0 for increased performance and speed.

You already have a very good and balanced system.
To better assess your options, run these two tests:

1) Run your games, but reduce the resolution and eye candy to a minimum. This will simulate what will happen if you upgrade to a stronger graphics card. If your FPS improves, it indicates that your cpu is capable of driving a stronger graphics card to higher levels of FPS.

2) Keeping your graphics resolution and settings the same, reduce your cpu power. Do this by removing the overclock, or by using windows power management to set a maximum cpu% of perhaps 70%. If your FPS drops significantly, it indicates that your current cpu is a limiting factor, and that a faster cpu would help.

What resolution are you gaming at?
If you are at 1920 x 1200 or better, then upgrading the graphics is probably best.

If you do upgrade, Make it a big enough jump so you will not be disappointed; probably to a 5870.
I am not a big fan of crossfire/sli, but adding a second 4870 could be a good option.

As an alternative, consider duplicating your monitor. A second monitor has been one of my most satisfying upgrades.