Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Quad core vs i5

Tags:
  • CPUs
  • Quad Core
  • Intel i5
  • Product
Last response: in CPUs
Share
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
September 29, 2010 8:37:00 PM

Im looking to upgrade my system.
Im getting the gtx 460, i cant decide whether i should get i5 or quad core. I play cod4,6 and get new games from my friends. So i need a system that i wont need to upgrade for a while. Im also getting a new mobo for the cpu, but want 2 x16 pci express slots so if i go sli.


Guys i really need your help!

More about : quad core

Anonymous
a b à CPUs
September 29, 2010 8:40:18 PM

I would like to play games at 1920 x 1080. If you need any more info please ask
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
September 29, 2010 8:41:29 PM

I might go for the 5770 instead of gtx 460. because of my budget
Related resources
a b à CPUs
September 29, 2010 8:52:27 PM

Try not to double and or triple post, it is against forum rules. Anyway if you were to upgrade to a normal LGA 775 quad core, then sure you can do that.
If you wanted to upgrade to an i5 you would need to first get an LGA 1156 compatible motherboard.

If you want further help display your computer specs in full including:
RAM
and PSU

If i were you i would just get an i5 since you will be upgrading your motherboard anyway and an sli 1156 compatible motherboard
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
September 29, 2010 8:57:28 PM

Mobo:ga 965p s3
CPU:E6700 @ 2.66 GHz
RAM: 4 X 1gb
PSU: 450 w
GPU: gigabyte gt240 512
OS: Windows XP 32 bit


I definatley need new windows (allowing more ram)
a b à CPUs
September 29, 2010 9:08:47 PM

You are better off getting a new AM3 board, DDR3 RAM, and a X4 CPU or just wait until Sandy Bridge comes out. You should also wait for the ATI 6xxx cards to come out.

What PSU btw? If it's not a quality 450W PSU (Corsair 450VX,etc), get a new PSU.
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
September 29, 2010 9:15:02 PM

Shadow703793 said:
You are better off getting a new AM3 board, DDR3 RAM, and a X4 CPU or just wait until Sandy Bridge comes out. You should also wait for the ATI 6xxx cards to come out.

What PSU btw? If it's not a quality 450W PSU (Corsair 450VX,etc), get a new PSU.



You mean the prices of other cards will go down a lot, right?
Whats sandy bridge?
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
September 29, 2010 9:17:09 PM

I can get really good prices on intel ,know a supplier
a b à CPUs
September 29, 2010 9:21:08 PM

Quote:
You mean the prices of other cards will go down a lot, right?
Whats sandy bridge?

Sandy Bridge is the next gen of Intel CPUs. Sandy Bridge will NOT be compatible with current LGA1156 socket it is replacing, meaning the LGA1156 socket will essentially not get any noticeable CPU updates by Intel. Intel may release a few unlocked CPUs,etc and that's it.

As for prices, it should drive down the prices of the ATI 58xx cards and perhaps the ATI 57xx. It should also drive down the prices of the nVidia 480 and 470. I don't think the GTX460 will be effected. The price changes won't be drastic (as in you won't be able to buy a 5870 for $100) but it will be a noticeable drop. I'd say about $50+ on the 5870/5850.

Quote:
I can get really good prices on intel ,know a supplier

What kind of prices would those be?
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
September 29, 2010 9:23:58 PM

Guys dont need yr help anymore fiqured out why my graphic card wasnt preform to the best. HAd a old modo that supports ddr2. my gpu get better mem with ddr3
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
September 29, 2010 9:29:42 PM

Shadow703793 said:
Sandy Bridge is the next gen of Intel CPUs. Sandy Bridge will NOT be compatible with current LGA1156 socket it is replacing, meaning the LGA1156 socket will essentially not get any noticeable CPU updates by Intel. Intel may release a few unlocked CPUs,etc and that's it.

As for prices, it should drive down the prices of the ATI 58xx cards and perhaps the ATI 57xx. It should also drive down the prices of the nVidia 480 and 470. I don't think the GTX460 will be effected. The price changes won't be drastic (as in you won't be able to buy a 5870 for $100) but it will be a noticeable drop. I'd say about $50+ on the 5870/5850.

Quote:
I can get really good prices on intel ,know a supplier

What kind of prices would those be?


Wow those prices sound good! So what are you recommanding. New cpu/gpu/modo/psu? and what would you choose? I play quite a bit on com!
a b à CPUs
September 29, 2010 10:20:50 PM

Quote:
Guys dont need yr help anymore fiqured out why my graphic card wasnt preform to the best. HAd a old modo that supports ddr2. my gpu get better mem with ddr3

System RAM has nothing to do with the RAM on the graphics card.....

Quote:
Wow those prices sound good!

I think you mid read my post. What I said was you WILL NOT be able to get a 5870 for $100. However, prices may drop by up to $50 for the 5870/GTX480,etc.

Quote:
New cpu/gpu/modo/psu? and what would you choose? I play quite a bit on com!

Yes, a new system. However I would not build a PC now since Sandy Bridge is a only a few months away.
September 29, 2010 10:27:13 PM

if you could, overclock the cpu a bit until sandy bridge, and c how price changes after some new hardware launch
a b à CPUs
September 29, 2010 10:38:03 PM

^+1 for OCing.
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
September 30, 2010 6:39:41 AM

Shadow703793 said:
Quote:
Guys dont need yr help anymore fiqured out why my graphic card wasnt preform to the best. HAd a old modo that supports ddr2. my gpu get better mem with ddr3

System RAM has nothing to do with the RAM on the graphics card.....

Quote:
Wow those prices sound good!

I think you mid read my post. What I said was you WILL NOT be able to get a 5870 for $100. However, prices may drop by up to $50 for the 5870/GTX480,etc.

Quote:
New cpu/gpu/modo/psu? and what would you choose? I play quite a bit on com!

Yes, a new system. However I would not build a PC now since Sandy Bridge is a only a few months away.



So what price do you think the 5850? or will only the higher up cards be affected
a b à CPUs
September 30, 2010 3:02:40 PM

^ The 5850 is a high end (high mid) card, so yeah it will be effected.
!