Did I fry my Biostar TA785G3 HD?

t3hg00se

Distinguished
May 19, 2011
Hello all.

So today I was setting all of the clocks for my PC, successfully OCing my Video Card and Memory first. I went on to the CPU (AMD Athlon II x3 Rana unlocked to a AMD Phenom II x4 B40) and was trying to fine tune it for awhile, it booted fine with the bus speed around 215, but above 220 and I couldn't get past post getting the message "Cmos checksum bad", I figured I had to set the the voltage manually. So I set the CPU voltage to 1.45v and the CPU NB VID to 1.2v (both pretty much the default voltages) with the bus at 220, hit save changes and exit, and the PC went to reboot, but the screen just stays black.

I've tried removing the RAM and placing it in different slots. Removed the video card. I took the heatsink off the processor and booted the PC for a couple seconds, checked that the processor was getting hot, then turned it off. Also removed the battery on the mobo to reset the cmos, but no luck there.

Here's what I'm running,

BIOSTAR TA785G3HD AM3 AMD 785G HDMI Micro ATX AMD Motherboard

SAPPHIRE Vapor-X 100283VX-2L Radeon HD 5770 (Juniper XT) 1GB 128-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card w/ Eyefinity

OCZ ModXStream Pro OCZ600MXSP 600W ATX12V V2.2 / EPS12V SLI Certified CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Modular Active PFC Power Supply compatible with core i7

AMD Athlon II X3 440 Rana 3.0GHz Socket AM3 95W Triple-Core Desktop Processor ADX440WFGIBOX

CORSAIR XMS3 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model CMX4GX3M2A1600C9

Thanks a lot in advance guys, I really hope my board isn't fried because I can't afford another one :cry:

t3hg00se

Distinguished
May 19, 2011

I already removed it, but only for like 30 seconds, I'll give it another shot I guess.

As far as the memory multiplier, HT multiplier, and NB multiplier, I couldn't find anywhere on my bios where I could set those values. I mean it's definitely there, I was probably just looking in the wrong places or misinterpreting the menus.

No kidding :sweat:

We must fail to suceed though, right?

RIGHT?!
:cry: :lol:

t3hg00se

Distinguished
May 19, 2011
Okay so I removed the battery for ~45 minutes, put it back in, no luck. Still only getting a black screen. I figured maybe I should try resetting the cmos via the jumper next to the battery, tried that, no luck there either.

I saw that there are LED's lit on the board, so I figured I'd take a picture so you guys could see whats up.

This link shows what the LEDs might mean
http://imgur.com/7Fxmn

These are the LEDs, the top 4 of them are lit red when the machine is on, the bottom 2 are off.
http://imgur.com/aLAmZ

t3hg00se

Distinguished
May 19, 2011
I've tried using a single stick of RAM in each of the four slots with both of my sticks of RAM. No luck.

Also worth noting, when removing the CPU , RAM, or Video Card and booting the machine there are no beeps at all from the mother board. Even when nothing is attached to the motherboard but the PSU.

Does this mean my motherboard is definitely at fault here?

Does anyone think they know what is going on here?

*edit

Well I've decided to call it quits, off to RMA.

t3hg00se

Distinguished
May 19, 2011
So I got my board back from Biostar today, they said it is in perfectly functioning condition.

I checked my PSU voltages and everything is A-OK.

I'm going to go out on a limb and say it's got to be my CPU at this point. I'm going to go pick up a new one tomorrow.