Need help from Athlon and Phenom I owners

sinclair-zx81

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2009
I upgraded my girlfriend's PC from an old X2 4400 to a Phenom II X2 555 and scrapped her old board.. She has this program she needs for her design work called Texture Maker (www.texturemaker.com).. The site and support are pretty much defunct, but you can still download the app and install it in trial mode. Anyway, the app seems to have a problem on newer Phenom II processors as it won't run at all on her new X2 555 or my X4 955, but it worked on a 4400 and it works on any Intel I've tried. So, what I want to find out is if this will run on a decent newer AMD processor that is not a PII (although if you have a newer PII and would like to try it, I would rather upgrade her than downgrade).

The processors I would most like tested are the Athlon X2 7850 and the Phenom X4 9850 (or same core types or different speeds). My thoughts are it is any AM3 processor that is causing the problem and would like it tested with pure AM2+ processors. Thanks.

sinclair-zx81

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2009
Anyone? I would really like to get results for the Phenom X4 9850.. The app is downloadable from www.texturemaker.com (version 3.1). There is nothing sinister about this, scan the file, it's a legitimate app, that's actually very good for what it does.. I'm surprised Adobe hasn't bought it or made something better. Thanks.

sinclair-zx81

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2009
Compatability mode tried down to Win 98, no go. I think the program is making direct calls to the CPU and something in the AM3 (weather running in an AM3 or AM2+ socket) is the problem. I've even tried running it in a virtual XP machine on my PII 955 and it does not work. It works fine on my Gateway FX with a T9300, but I'm going to be selling that soon and need another option.

The PII should not be the problem. It's the same as any CPU in this regard. Did you change anything else during setup?

Also, knowing the specifics of the error would be very useful to us.

Regardless, I am downloading the program on my windows 7 x64 system with the Athlon IIx4 (which is the same as a phenom II without L3 cache) and will run it. Might be a while. The server seems to be giving me speeds varying between 30kb/s and 570kb/s.

Edit: ok here are my results:
it runs, CPU hist 25% for about 1 second (100% of one core) then it quits. Don't even see anything. I'm going to try it on one of the XP computers on my network.

Edit2: pentium 4 system. no issues. Now I'm going to try it in an XP VM on my athlon II machine.

Edit3: assigned 2 cores to the VM. same issue.

sinclair-zx81

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2009

This fits with my testing. I really think it's the new memory controller in the AM3 processors. I still want to know if it runs on a Kuma core, which would still give acceptable performance if I OC it a bit.

what speeds enzo.?
3.2GHz. I lowered it from 3.25 after linx found errors (previously it was "stable" 12 hours prime95 and linx found the error after like 5 minutes. I then lowered it to 3.22 but folding@home got some strange errors every blue moon so I lowered it to 3.2)

Well, I'm stuck. It's odd but if I get some spare time I'll keep trying to figure it out.