george

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2001

Hi,

Something trivial to achieve, I'm sure, but I'm drawing blanks.

I want my IE homepage set to www.google.com, ie. I want the English version,
and BTW my IE Options, home page address line is set to this:
www.google.com!).
However, despite this I always end up with the homepage being in my
'country-language'.
Regional Settings, keyboard layout etc. are all set to English.

I just *know* I had this working as expected, in the past, but can't seem to
get it set up again.

Anyone???

TIA

george

I'm not sure if this will help but you might want to click
Preferences next to the Google search box. Set the language to
English and click on "Save Preferences". As noted at the bottom
of
this page "Setting preferences will not work if you have disabled
cookies in your browser."

--
Nepatsfan
"george" <anonymous@discussion.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> Something trivial to achieve, I'm sure, but I'm drawing blanks.
>
> I want my IE homepage set to www.google.com, ie. I want the
> English version, and BTW my IE Options, home page address line
> is set to this: www.google.com!).
> However, despite this I always end up with the homepage being
> in my 'country-language'.
> Regional Settings, keyboard layout etc. are all set to English.
>
> I just *know* I had this working as expected, in the past, but
> can't seem to get it set up again.
>
> Anyone???
>
> TIA
>
> george

george

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2001

Thanks Nepatsfan,

My preferences language was already on English and saving that again
(cookies enabled) made no difference.

Another (curious) thing is, that when I click on the link that reads:
Google.com in English, it just stays on the same, country specific page (nl
in my case).
It looks like it goes there and then immediately gets redirected to the
'country-specific'-page.

Any more ideas, anyone???

TIA

george

"Nepatsfan" <nepatsfan@SBXXXIX.com> wrote in message
> I'm not sure if this will help but you might want to click
> Preferences next to the Google search box. Set the language to
> English and click on "Save Preferences". As noted at the bottom of
> this page "Setting preferences will not work if you have disabled
> cookies in your browser."
>
> --
> Nepatsfan
> "george" <anonymous@discussion.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> Hi,
>>
>> Something trivial to achieve, I'm sure, but I'm drawing blanks.
>>
>> I want my IE homepage set to www.google.com, ie. I want the
>> English version, and BTW my IE Options, home page address line
>> is set to this: www.google.com!).
>> However, despite this I always end up with the homepage being
>> in my 'country-language'.
>> Regional Settings, keyboard layout etc. are all set to English.
>>
>> I just *know* I had this working as expected, in the past, but
>> can't seem to get it set up again.
>>
>> Anyone???
>>
>> TIA
>>
>> george

I should think Google would be happy to help you with this.
http://www.google.com/support/bin/request.py?contact_type=user&hl=en
I have found them to be responsive in the past.
Just try to hone your inquiry to a concise rendition of the specifics.
You may want to write it in Word, edit it, and paste it into Google's
window.

> Thanks Nepatsfan,
>
> My preferences language was already on English and saving that again
> (cookies enabled) made no difference.
>
> Another (curious) thing is, that when I click on the link that reads:
> Google.com in English, it just stays on the same, country specific page
(nl
> in my case).
> It looks like it goes there and then immediately gets redirected to the
> 'country-specific'-page.
>
> Any more ideas, anyone???
>
> TIA
>
> george
>

> "Nepatsfan" <nepatsfan@SBXXXIX.com> wrote in message
> > I'm not sure if this will help but you might want to click
> > Preferences next to the Google search box. Set the language to
> > English and click on "Save Preferences". As noted at the bottom of
> > this page "Setting preferences will not work if you have disabled
> > cookies in your browser."
> >
> > --
> > Nepatsfan
> > "george" <anonymous@discussion.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> Something trivial to achieve, I'm sure, but I'm drawing blanks.
> >>
> >> I want my IE homepage set to www.google.com, ie. I want the
> >> English version, and BTW my IE Options, home page address line
> >> is set to this: www.google.com!).
> >> However, despite this I always end up with the homepage being
> >> in my 'country-language'.
> >> Regional Settings, keyboard layout etc. are all set to English.
> >>
> >> I just *know* I had this working as expected, in the past, but
> >> can't seem to get it set up again.
> >>
> >> Anyone???
> >>
> >> TIA
> >>
> >> george

Sorry to hear that didn't help. If you haven't done so already,
you might want to post this question to one of the Internet
Explorer newsgroups.

It sounds as if there's a problem with the cookie for that site.
Take a look in C:\Documents and Settings\YourUserName\Cookies for
a file named google.txt. Open it and see if there's an entry like
this. :LD=en:.

Have you tried deleting the cookies for google.com? Check the
Cookies folder as well as the "Temporary Internet Files" folder

You also might want to check any antispyware programs that you
have installed on your computer. See if they have a feature that
prevents changes from being made to your homepage. Or set a
different home page and then see if you can apply the settings
you want to www.google.com.

--
Nepatsfan
"george" <anonymous@discussion.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Thanks Nepatsfan,
>
> My preferences language was already on English and saving that
> again (cookies enabled) made no difference.
>
> Another (curious) thing is, that when I click on the link that
> reads: Google.com in English, it just stays on the same,
> country specific page (nl in my case).
> It looks like it goes there and then immediately gets
> redirected to the 'country-specific'-page.
>
> Any more ideas, anyone???
>
> TIA
>
> george
>

> "Nepatsfan" <nepatsfan@SBXXXIX.com> wrote in message
>> I'm not sure if this will help but you might want to click
>> Preferences next to the Google search box. Set the language to
>> English and click on "Save Preferences". As noted at the
>> bottom of
>> this page "Setting preferences will not work if you have
>> disabled
>> cookies in your browser."
>>
>> --
>> Nepatsfan
>> "george" <anonymous@discussion.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> Something trivial to achieve, I'm sure, but I'm drawing
>>> blanks.
>>>
>>> I want my IE homepage set to www.google.com, ie. I want the
>>> English version, and BTW my IE Options, home page address
>>> line
>>> is set to this: www.google.com!).
>>> However, despite this I always end up with the homepage being
>>> in my 'country-language'.
>>> Regional Settings, keyboard layout etc. are all set to
>>> English.
>>>
>>> I just *know* I had this working as expected, in the past,
>>> but
>>> can't seem to get it set up again.
>>>
>>> Anyone???
>>>
>>> TIA
>>>
>>> george

george

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2001

Thanks,

Frankly, I'm a little embarrassed this hadn't occurred to me as an option!
I'll look into that.

Cheers