Sign-in / Sign-up
Your question
Solved

Intermittant power failure( Momentarily)

Tags:
  • Power Supplies
  • Power
  • Components
Last response: in Components
September 29, 2010 9:55:14 PM

I have a AMD 9940 quad core and an Nividia 9600 1 gig video card in my home brew PC. It's been operating flawlessly for 3 + years. Now, it seems to quit at random intervals, just like someone turned off the power at the circuit breaker. After the screen goes black, every other accessory turns back on; the printer, the monitor(on standby, etc). Is my Antec 450 watt PS going south or do I need another surge protector extension plug?

More about : intermittant power failure momentarily

September 29, 2010 10:01:14 PM

Easiest would be to borrow another PSU and test. If your not getting the failures then you know. If you can't borrow one, pick a cheap one up from a retailer with a generous return policy. And yes I would highly recommend plugging in the comp to a surge protector rather than directly to the wall. Are you also getting brown outs in any other part of your house?
m
l
September 30, 2010 4:02:16 AM

It sure sounds like either your PSU is dying (pulling more power than its capable of handling, probably a short circuit) or you have irregular voltage supply. If jaghpanther's suggestion does not work, try getting an AVR and u will know what's wrong. A 600VA AVR from Powerware should do the trick.
m
l
Related resources
September 30, 2010 5:06:20 AM

Agree with both posters above.3 years is a normal time for a PSU's quality to be decreasing. Try using another PSU for a comparison. Good luck!
m
l
a c 144 ) Power supply
September 30, 2010 5:45:30 AM

People, first things first.

Bypass the surge protector and plug the system directly into the wall.

Then try replacing the PSU.
m
l

Best solution

September 30, 2010 6:12:31 AM

jsc said:
People, first things first.

Bypass the surge protector and plug the system directly into the wall.

Then try replacing the PSU.

I think I missed the "using surge protector" part. ^+1

I agree, always start from the source, which is usually easily visible. Power cables, socket, wall outlets, any components between the PC and power source. Simple and effective answer, jsc... :) 
October 7, 2010 12:09:18 AM

I figured out the problem. My house was built in the middle 60's and I guess that the wall plug has lost what spring tension it had to actually grip the tines of the plug over time. The connection to the plug is hidden by a drape and when I moved it out of the way, I immediately noticed that the surge protector cord was almost un-pluged. I pushed it back into the socket and, voila', no more spurious trips of the PC!
m
l
October 7, 2010 12:09:54 AM

Best answer selected by engrbill47.
m
l
October 7, 2010 7:32:07 AM

That was similar with my past experience with power cables. I checked the whole setup and found no problem, until I check the power cable for connection using an Ohm meter at both end. Guess what? it's not connected! I'm kicking myself for my stupidity. Luckily, unlike me, you can solve that intermittent power issue pretty quick.

The credit should go to jsc though, I'm merely pointing out the details from his suggestion. No wonder the guy's got that shiny silver badge. :lol: 

In the end, well done!
m
l