Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Asus board always kinda boot twice (fans spin, stops, then spin again)

Last response: in Motherboards
May 19, 2011 9:36:28 AM

I just bought a machine with P8P67 LE. When I turn on the machine, the fans would spin for about 3 seconds, then they would stop, then after some moment, they would start again and boot normally. Everything else is normal other than this. No crash and no hang with long hours of 3D gaming. This happens with and without overclocking.

Is this normal behavior? Thanks !

Specs:
* P8P67 LE (B3 Revision)
* BIOS Version: 1011
* Core i5 2500K
* 2 x 4gb DDR3 RAM
* 4 SATA harddisks
* Gigabyte GTX 560
* Xigmatek 600W PSU

Best solution

a b Ĉ ASUS
a c 107 V Motherboard
May 19, 2011 2:54:47 PM

This is a common issue, and there is no consistent solution. Update to the newest BIOS for your board to see if they have fixed it yet. If not, a future BIOS update will do it -- you just have to wait for it to come out.
a b Ĉ ASUS
a c 111 V Motherboard
May 19, 2011 3:02:45 PM

This sounds like a motherboard issue.

This is common (and normal) if you are turning the PSU power switch from OFF to ON but it shouldn't happen if you use the normal case power switch.

(It's a PSU issue if the only fans immediately starting up that first time are DIRECTLY connected to the PSU and not through the motherboard. The PSU is starting up, probably running a diagnostic then rebooting before working normal.)

Things to do:
1) check for BIOS update
2) double-check all internal connections

It doesn't sound like something to worry about though.
Related resources
a b Ĉ ASUS
a c 107 V Motherboard
May 19, 2011 3:07:40 PM

It is a very common mainboard issue with Sandy Bridge systems, that can only reliably be solved with a BIOS update. Other supposed remedies don't work consistently.

You don't need to check all internal connections.

My ASRock board (both the B2 and B3 versions) did this until the last BIOS update from a few days ago. That fixed it right up. You just need to check and see if the newest BIOS fixes it, and be patient if it doesn't. This isn't harming your system in any way, so there's nothing to worry about.
May 20, 2011 12:56:33 AM

Thanks all, I just tested again, seems that it happens only when overclocking. Need more rebooting to be sure. The BIOS had already been updated to the latest at day 1 of purchase. I asked ASUS technical support as well, waiting for their reply.
May 28, 2011 4:30:37 PM

I have exactly the same problem

MB Asus P8P67 Deluxe with latest firmware B3 revision
Corsair 850W poser supply

Processor is not overclocked

Seems to be MB / Bios issue

a b Ĉ ASUS
a c 107 V Motherboard
May 29, 2011 6:52:34 AM

It is a BIOS issue. You just have to wait for ASUS to get on the ball and come out with a BIOS update that fixes it.
June 1, 2011 7:38:47 AM

Agreed, This is an issue with the whole line of P8p67 boards. I have the Pro version and had it with my initial board until I updated Bios. Second board (Rev3) did not do this.
June 6, 2011 1:40:01 AM

Best answer selected by ahkow.
June 6, 2011 1:45:09 AM

The ASUS technical support did not help much. At first, he thought it was a cannot-boot problem. Then, he explained that overclocking may cause unstable system, which again was not my case. Guess I will have to keep trying new BIOS version.
October 5, 2012 1:44:29 PM

I'm having this issue too. My MB is an Asus P8Z77-V.

In my case, with old BIOS versions it DIDN'T occur and it's occurring me with last 2 BIOS versions :( 

If I don't unplug the PC it doesn't happen, but when I unplug always occurs. Obviously, I have a UPS and I don't want to have it plugged all time for cutting batteries life.
October 10, 2012 4:56:09 PM

xoom_44 said:
I'm having this issue too. My MB is an Asus P8Z77-V.

In my case, with old BIOS versions it DIDN'T occur and it's occurring me with last 2 BIOS versions :( 

If I don't unplug the PC it doesn't happen, but when I unplug always occurs. Obviously, I have a UPS and I don't want to have it plugged all time for cutting batteries life.

This is happening to me as well on the same motherboard(with an i3570k CPU). I get a quick "blip" of power, then everything shuts off for a couple seconds, then it powers up and boots fine.

I believe it has to do with overclocking as mentioned above.

I keep meaning to reset to defaults and see if that cures it but I haven't done it yet. From what I have been reading, it's not that big of a deal, but it is annoying.

On the bios, I am running the latest but have only had the board a few weeks so I never ran with a prior bios version.
!