Is this a graphics card problem? Random freezes...

stalker7d7

Distinguished
Jun 20, 2010
PROBLEM SOLVED!
Problem solved. It was primarily the power supply. So if you are experiencing random complete system freezes, check your psu.

So, in these past few months, my computer started to randomly freeze. I might be browsing the internet, or nothing at all, and it would just freeze, and I would have to manually reboot it.

When it froze, any audio that was playing would continually repeat the last millisecond or so infinitely, and the video would stay paused. When it first freezes, I noticed the numlock/caps/scroll lock lights on my keyboard, when I press the keys, do come on and off, but take longer each time, as if all the processing power in my CPU were being used up, pointing to an infinite loop or something?

This last time, just a few minutes ago tho, when I tried to reboot, I got no video. I opened my machine, took the card out and inspected, and there was nothing visually wrong, so I put it back in, and it started up fine... This was the first time I had any reaction from the video card like this, which concerns me that it might be the culprit. It's definitely not overheating...running a cool 60 degrees when I reboot, and it runs in the high 60's when playing graphically intense games...never really goes above that...

Also, there is nothing in the error logs about the event...

Any clues as to what might be causing the random freezing?

My system is running:
Intel Quad core Q9550(2.86)
8GB ram
Radeon HD4870
550W ULTRA LSP power supply
Nvidia 680iLT motherboard

stalker7d7

Distinguished
Jun 20, 2010
I do have the latest drivers installed, but I do not have any other mobos available with PCIE... :/

I'm gonna run a HD diagnostic, and I'll look back tomorrow for any response, and post what I find.

stalker7d7

Distinguished
Jun 20, 2010
I could barrow another system from my brother to test it, but this random freezing only occurs once in a long while, I could possibly test it for more than a month, and have no definite result. The last time it froze(before last night) was 3 weeks ago...

What could the power supply be doing that might cause this?

stalker7d7

Distinguished
Jun 20, 2010
Didn't change anything, but it didn't freeze this time, but straight out just shut off, as if it had ran out of power. It turned on just fine after, of course, so I think it's the power supply causing the freezes? Confirmation would be nice.

stalker7d7

Distinguished
Jun 20, 2010
No, I didn't swap them, I was running it the same, but it just shut down this time, and I looked and the fan for the PSU isn't running anymore. So I would assume the PSU was overheating.

Regardless if that's the only problem or not, the PSU needs to be replaced/fixed.

G

had the same problem, it was the psu fan, you can try putting in a new fan. i had other cheap psu's laying around so i just put one of those in and everything was fine except the cheap video card and hard drive in it must have took a hit from the psu going bad and they died a month later. replaced them and the machine is still working fine. good luck

stalker7d7

Distinguished
Jun 20, 2010
Well, my video card is expensive, I hope it don't die. And I'm just gonna get a new PSU, I don't really wanna fiddle with one that had a part break after only a few months of owning it...

stalker7d7

Distinguished
Jun 20, 2010
I've replaced the fan inside the PSU since that's the only thing that wasn't working, not problems as of yet. I'll try and remember to post back in a week or two for a fix confirmation(as I said, it seemed random, and only occured once couple weeks)...

stalker7d7

Distinguished
Jun 20, 2010
Problem solved. It was primarily the power supply. So if you are experiencing random complete system freezes, check your psu.

After one more freeze, changing the cpu cooler(and entire case upgrade to antec 900), and discovering the slightest move of the power cable to shut down the psu, discovered that it had a blown capacitor, so got a new psu(antec truepower 750).

The sensors on the old cpu cooler were giving bad readings(147 celcius my a##). Changing the cooler required a case upgrade from some tin can to the antec. And I love it.

TRENDING THREADS