Sniper Server Madness

Last response: in Video Games
July 15, 2004 4:48:10 PM

Howdy all,

I have spent the better part of three days trying to build s sniper
server. Here is what I have done.

I have downloaded the ZM_SLRB_ZarkAssaultRifle.zip, unzipped the file
and put the contents into the System folder, as per the instructions.

I then modified my startup script to the following

cd /home/unreal/unreal
screen ./ucc server
DM-Bathroom-SniperHeaven-[HR]Edition2?game=BotPack.DeathmatchPlus?
mutator=BotPack.SniperArena,BotPack.Translocator,
ZM_SLRB_ZarkAssaultRifle.ZM_SLRB_ZarkRifleMutator,BDBMapVote302.BDBMapVote
ini-sniper_mod.ini log=sniper_mod.log

*I have wrapped the words around to make it easier to read.*

The reason that I added the translocator is to be able to use it.
Otherwise the only thing I will get is the "regular" sniper rifle.

I am unable to get the Zark rifle unless I remove the SniperArena, which
is not what I want. I have searched with google for three days trying
to find what someone, anyone else has done to get this to work, I have
found nothing. I there are people who have this working, because I play
on there servers, but I have yet to ask another admin his secerts. That
will be my next step if I can not figure it out other wise.

gorilla

More about : sniper server madness

Anonymous
July 15, 2004 5:01:12 PM

I forgot to say that this is a Linux Server.

gorilla

gorilla wrote:
> Howdy all,
>
> I have spent the better part of three days trying to build s sniper
> server. Here is what I have done.
>
> I have downloaded the ZM_SLRB_ZarkAssaultRifle.zip, unzipped the file
> and put the contents into the System folder, as per the instructions.
>
> I then modified my startup script to the following
>
> cd /home/unreal/unreal
> screen ./ucc server
> DM-Bathroom-SniperHeaven-[HR]Edition2?game=BotPack.DeathmatchPlus?
> mutator=BotPack.SniperArena,BotPack.Translocator,
> ZM_SLRB_ZarkAssaultRifle.ZM_SLRB_ZarkRifleMutator,BDBMapVote302.BDBMapVote
> ini-sniper_mod.ini log=sniper_mod.log
>
> *I have wrapped the words around to make it easier to read.*
>
> The reason that I added the translocator is to be able to use it.
> Otherwise the only thing I will get is the "regular" sniper rifle.
>
> I am unable to get the Zark rifle unless I remove the SniperArena, which
> is not what I want. I have searched with google for three days trying
> to find what someone, anyone else has done to get this to work, I have
> found nothing. I there are people who have this working, because I play
> on there servers, but I have yet to ask another admin his secerts. That
> will be my next step if I can not figure it out other wise.
>
> gorilla
Anonymous
July 15, 2004 5:19:23 PM

I finally searched the news groups on Google and have learned that I
have to write a mutator. I will figure out how to do that and let y'all
know when it is done.

gorilla

gorilla wrote:
> Howdy all,
>
> I have spent the better part of three days trying to build s sniper
> server. Here is what I have done.
>
> I have downloaded the ZM_SLRB_ZarkAssaultRifle.zip, unzipped the file
> and put the contents into the System folder, as per the instructions.
>
> I then modified my startup script to the following
>
> cd /home/unreal/unreal
> screen ./ucc server
> DM-Bathroom-SniperHeaven-[HR]Edition2?game=BotPack.DeathmatchPlus?
> mutator=BotPack.SniperArena,BotPack.Translocator,
> ZM_SLRB_ZarkAssaultRifle.ZM_SLRB_ZarkRifleMutator,BDBMapVote302.BDBMapVote
> ini-sniper_mod.ini log=sniper_mod.log
>
> *I have wrapped the words around to make it easier to read.*
>
> The reason that I added the translocator is to be able to use it.
> Otherwise the only thing I will get is the "regular" sniper rifle.
>
> I am unable to get the Zark rifle unless I remove the SniperArena, which
> is not what I want. I have searched with google for three days trying
> to find what someone, anyone else has done to get this to work, I have
> found nothing. I there are people who have this working, because I play
> on there servers, but I have yet to ask another admin his secerts. That
> will be my next step if I can not figure it out other wise.
>
> gorilla
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
Anonymous
July 16, 2004 1:45:31 AM

gorilla <fragging_gorilla@hotmail.com> Blessed us with

> Howdy all,
>
> I have spent the better part of three days trying to build s
> sniper server. Here is what I have done.

Cool! :-)

> I have downloaded the ZM_SLRB_ZarkAssaultRifle.zip, unzipped the
> file and put the contents into the System folder, as per the
> instructions.

Ah! you got the better one! There are 4 of them I believe
altogether. There is one better called the ZM SLRB II Zark Assault
Rifle.

> I then modified my startup script to the following
>
> cd /home/unreal/unreal screen ./ucc server
> DM-Bathroom-SniperHeaven-[HR]Edition2?game=BotPack.DeathmatchPlus
> ? mutator=BotPack.SniperArena,BotPack.Translocator,
> ZM_SLRB_ZarkAssaultRifle.ZM_SLRB_ZarkRifleMutator,BDBMapVote302.B
> DBMapVote ini-sniper_mod.ini log=sniper_mod.log
>
> *I have wrapped the words around to make it easier to read.*

Thanks but this Linux stuff is way over my head! :-(

> The reason that I added the translocator is to be able to use
> it. Otherwise the only thing I will get is the "regular" sniper
> rifle.

So, if I'm understanding you right, you want to be able to use
the regular sniper rifle along with the Zark rifle, and the
translocator? I believe the Zark mutator allows the translocator
but not the SniperArena. Also the Zark mutator does not replace
any regular sniper rifles because of an infinite recursion error.
The Zark rifle is derived from the regular sniper rifle and
therefore causes infinite recursion if it replaces the regular
sniper rifle.

> I am unable to get the Zark rifle unless I remove the
> SniperArena, which is not what I want.

Like I said above, the Zark rifle will not replace any regular
sniper rifles. Maybe I'm just misunderstanding you but I'm
thinking now that you only want the Zark Assault Rifle in the
map and as the default weapon?

> I have searched with google for three days trying to find what
> someone, anyone else has done to get this to work, I have found
> nothing. I there are people who have this working, because I
> play on there servers, but I have yet to ask another admin his
> secerts. That will be my next step if I can not figure it out
> other wise.
>
> gorilla

Some more info would be nice. :)  I'm unclear exactly what you want
but I'm pretty good with UnrealScript and would be glad to help if
I can! :)

"Best?? Only a fool will assume they're the best."

Mr.K

For questions you may have concerning UT, UT2003,
or UT2004.
http://www.unrealtower.org/faq
Anonymous
July 16, 2004 2:20:59 AM

After reading for hours...what I think I need to do is to create a mod
that is Sniper Specific. The mod would be for only a Sniper Rifle, one
from Zark, and the translocator. Those are the only two weapons that I
would want to be in the game. Is there an Unreal Script Editor with UT?
If not, where can I download it.

Thanks,

gorilla

JHall wrote:
> gorilla <fragging_gorilla@hotmail.com> Blessed us with
>

>>Howdy all,
>>
>>I have spent the better part of three days trying to build s
>>sniper server. Here is what I have done.
>

> Cool! :-)
>

>>I have downloaded the ZM_SLRB_ZarkAssaultRifle.zip, unzipped the
>>file and put the contents into the System folder, as per the
>>instructions.
>

> Ah! you got the better one! There are 4 of them I believe
> altogether. There is one better called the ZM SLRB II Zark Assault
> Rifle.
>

>>I then modified my startup script to the following
>>
>>cd /home/unreal/unreal screen ./ucc server
>>DM-Bathroom-SniperHeaven-[HR]Edition2?game=BotPack.DeathmatchPlus
>>? mutator=BotPack.SniperArena,BotPack.Translocator,
>>ZM_SLRB_ZarkAssaultRifle.ZM_SLRB_ZarkRifleMutator,BDBMapVote302.B
>>DBMapVote ini-sniper_mod.ini log=sniper_mod.log
>>
>>*I have wrapped the words around to make it easier to read.*
>

> Thanks but this Linux stuff is way over my head! :-(
>

>>The reason that I added the translocator is to be able to use
>>it. Otherwise the only thing I will get is the "regular" sniper
>>rifle.
>

> So, if I'm understanding you right, you want to be able to use
> the regular sniper rifle along with the Zark rifle, and the
> translocator? I believe the Zark mutator allows the translocator
> but not the SniperArena. Also the Zark mutator does not replace
> any regular sniper rifles because of an infinite recursion error.
> The Zark rifle is derived from the regular sniper rifle and
> therefore causes infinite recursion if it replaces the regular
> sniper rifle.
>

>>I am unable to get the Zark rifle unless I remove the
>>SniperArena, which is not what I want.
>

> Like I said above, the Zark rifle will not replace any regular
> sniper rifles. Maybe I'm just misunderstanding you but I'm
> thinking now that you only want the Zark Assault Rifle in the
> map and as the default weapon?
>

>>I have searched with google for three days trying to find what
>>someone, anyone else has done to get this to work, I have found
>>nothing. I there are people who have this working, because I
>>play on there servers, but I have yet to ask another admin his
>>secerts. That will be my next step if I can not figure it out
>>other wise.
>>
>>gorilla
>

> Some more info would be nice. :)  I'm unclear exactly what you want
> but I'm pretty good with UnrealScript and would be glad to help if
> I can! :)

Anonymous
July 16, 2004 3:22:56 AM

fragging gorilla <fragging_gorilla@hotmail.com> Blessed us with

> After reading for hours...what I think I need to do is to create
> a mod that is Sniper Specific. The mod would be for only a
> Sniper Rifle, one from Zark, and the translocator. Those are
> the only two weapons that I would want to be in the game. Is
> there an Unreal Script Editor with UT?
> If not, where can I download it.

Oh, I think I see a little better now, you want all of the regular
weapons in the map replaced with Zark rifles and still be able to
have the translocator. You could do this very easily by
subclassing the *Arena* class!. Yes there is an editor of sorts
with UT and it's part of UnrealEd. It's called the script editor
but it's best when writing and compiling scripts to use a regular
text editor along with UCC.exe. You write the script into a text
editor, save the file as a .uc file in a folder called *Classes*,
inside of another folder with a name that will be the resulting
compiled .u file in the UT root folder(the folder you installed UT
in). I'm clueless how folders work in Linux though!. Then you
add the name of your not yet existing .u file to the EditPackages
lines in UnrealTournament.ini file, then compile the script using
the ucc make command from a command prompt. I'll see what I can
whip up!. I'll try to post back within the next 24 hours. Wish
me luck! :)

"Best?? Only a fool will assume they're the best."

Mr.K

For questions you may have concerning UT, UT2003,
or UT2004.
http://www.unrealtower.org/faq
Anonymous
July 16, 2004 3:22:57 AM

Good Luck. Let me know if and what I can do to help.

gorilla

JHall wrote:
> fragging gorilla <fragging_gorilla@hotmail.com> Blessed us with
>

>>After reading for hours...what I think I need to do is to create
>>a mod that is Sniper Specific. The mod would be for only a
>>Sniper Rifle, one from Zark, and the translocator. Those are
>>the only two weapons that I would want to be in the game. Is
>>there an Unreal Script Editor with UT?
>>If not, where can I download it.
>

> Oh, I think I see a little better now, you want all of the regular
> weapons in the map replaced with Zark rifles and still be able to
> have the translocator. You could do this very easily by
> subclassing the *Arena* class!. Yes there is an editor of sorts
> with UT and it's part of UnrealEd. It's called the script editor
> but it's best when writing and compiling scripts to use a regular
> text editor along with UCC.exe. You write the script into a text
> editor, save the file as a .uc file in a folder called *Classes*,
> inside of another folder with a name that will be the resulting
> compiled .u file in the UT root folder(the folder you installed UT
> in). I'm clueless how folders work in Linux though!. Then you
> add the name of your not yet existing .u file to the EditPackages
> lines in UnrealTournament.ini file, then compile the script using
> the ucc make command from a command prompt. I'll see what I can
> whip up!. I'll try to post back within the next 24 hours. Wish
> me luck! :)

Anonymous
July 16, 2004 3:23:19 PM

> Good Luck. Let me know if and what I can do to help.

Thanks! :)  I posted it to alt.binaries.games.unreal
under the subject:

Zark Sniper Rifle Arena for fragging gorilla

I hope it's what you wanted dude! If not let me know
and I'll work with it some more or if you have any
problems with it. Oh, I included the .uc file for
the script for your reading pleasure or if maybe you
want to try to change something yourself.

"Best?? Only a fool will assume they're the best."

Mr.K

For questions you may have concerning UT, UT2003,
or UT2004.
http://www.unrealtower.org/faq
Anonymous
July 16, 2004 4:13:25 PM

JHall <jhall@playmlec.net> Blessed us with

> gorilla <fragging_gorilla@hotmail.com> Blessed us with
>
>> Good Luck. Let me know if and what I can do to help.
>
> Thanks! :)  I posted it to alt.binaries.games.unreal
> under the subject:
>
> Zark Sniper Rifle Arena for fragging gorilla
>
> I hope it's what you wanted dude! If not let me know
> and I'll work with it some more or if you have any
> problems with it. Oh, I included the .uc file for
> the script for your reading pleasure or if maybe you
> want to try to change something yourself.

Sorry for replying to myself here but the Zark Arena still has
some problems. It doesn't act like a regular arena mutator and I
still haven't figured it out yet. In a regular arena when you kill
someone they do not throw down their weapon but in this arena they
do!. However the weapon that the dead person throws away does not
*always* give you full ammo everytime you pick it up especially if
your gun is empty!. It only gives you whatever ammo they had left
in their gun when they threw it down. Actually I think this kind
of makes it cooler because it makes it a little harder to run out
of ammo. Also, for some unknown reason, right when the players
spawn and the game starts, all players have a Zark rifle on the
ground directly below them. Strange! I'm thinking that it has
something to do with the Zark rifle itself. Still scratching my
head over that one too!.

"Best?? Only a fool will assume they're the best."

Mr.K

For questions you may have concerning UT, UT2003,
or UT2004.
http://www.unrealtower.org/faq
Anonymous
July 16, 2004 4:13:26 PM

Thanks for all of the hard work. I installed the mutator and I have it
up and running. Everything looks good except the players can not see
through a scope. The rifle is there, but they can not be seen nor can
the player see through a scope.

I left it up and running on the server.
216.39.194.203:7805

I hope this will help you figure it out.

Thanks TONS,

gorilla

JHall wrote:
> JHall <jhall@playmlec.net> Blessed us with
>

>>gorilla <fragging_gorilla@hotmail.com> Blessed us with
>>

>>>Good Luck. Let me know if and what I can do to help.
>>
>>Thanks! :)  I posted it to alt.binaries.games.unreal
>>under the subject:
>>
>>Zark Sniper Rifle Arena for fragging gorilla
>>
>>I hope it's what you wanted dude! If not let me know
>>and I'll work with it some more or if you have any
>>problems with it. Oh, I included the .uc file for
>>the script for your reading pleasure or if maybe you
>>want to try to change something yourself.
>

> Sorry for replying to myself here but the Zark Arena still has
> some problems. It doesn't act like a regular arena mutator and I
> still haven't figured it out yet. In a regular arena when you kill
> someone they do not throw down their weapon but in this arena they
> do!. However the weapon that the dead person throws away does not
> *always* give you full ammo everytime you pick it up especially if
> your gun is empty!. It only gives you whatever ammo they had left
> in their gun when they threw it down. Actually I think this kind
> of makes it cooler because it makes it a little harder to run out
> of ammo. Also, for some unknown reason, right when the players
> spawn and the game starts, all players have a Zark rifle on the
> ground directly below them. Strange! I'm thinking that it has
> something to do with the Zark rifle itself. Still scratching my
> head over that one too!.

Anonymous
July 17, 2004 4:59:06 AM

> Thanks for all of the hard work. I installed the mutator and I
> have it up and running. Everything looks good except the
> players can not see through a scope. The rifle is there, but
> they can not be seen nor can the player see through a scope.

Hmmm...I just tried it out a little while ago and I never even
had the gun period! :-( But I did have a translocator! I got
fragged a few times as the bots had guns but all I ever had was
the translocator so I didn't get to see if the scope worked or
not.

> I left it up and running on the server. 216.39.194.203:7805
>
> I hope this will help you figure it out.
>
> Thanks TONS,
>
> gorilla

If you're still running a Linux server that could have something
to do with it and I'm totally at a loss when discussing Linux
issues. It plays great on single player! I have the gun at game
start and can see through the scope but I don't ever have the gun
at all on your server. I couldn't see the gun the bots were
holding as I was always killed too soon to tell and the map is
very dark and hard to see in it. One thing I would try if I were
you would be to clean my cache folder and any other .u files that
were not originally installed by the game, then connect to a
server that has this mod working, and all the files will appear in
your cache folder. Then it would be just a matter of writting a
..int file for the mod. .int files are not that hard to figure out
but it is very hard to make it exactly the same as the original on
the server. However, they can still be written for functionality
purposes to get a mod functioning. In any event, I hope I have
given you some ideas, and something to go on, and work with.
Sorry this mod didn't work too good but like I said I'm not an
expert when it comes to server games or Linux. Well...I'm out of
ideas and if you do get it working please post back here and let
us know how you did it!

Good Luck and...

Best Regards

"Best?? Only a fool will assume they're the best."

Mr.K

For questions you may have concerning UT, UT2003,
or UT2004.
http://www.unrealtower.org/faq
Anonymous
July 18, 2004 1:36:42 AM

JHall <jhall@playmlec.net> Blessed us with

[Big Snip]

> Well...I'm out of ideas and if you do get it working please post
> back here and let us know how you did it!

Never fear FG! I've been feverishly working on this thing and I'm
about to post what I've got to the binary group if my news server
doesn't wigg out on me again!. I recompiled the whole weapon
including its mesh so the zip file is about 530kb. This one works
on single player just like any other arena mutator now so I'm just
about willing to bet that it will work on your server. Post back
here when you get it installed and I will see if it works from here.
I'm going to post it under the subject

Zark rifle for fragging gorilla version 2

I hope this one works! :-)

"Best?? Only a fool will assume they're the best."

Mr.K

For questions you may have concerning UT, UT2003,
or UT2004.
http://www.unrealtower.org/faq
Anonymous
July 18, 2004 10:33:00 PM

Hey JHall,

The second file is not working correctly. The first one is a zip file
and the second one in not, or am I doing something wrong?

gorilla

JHall wrote:
> JHall <jhall@playmlec.net> Blessed us with
>
> [Big Snip]
>

>>Well...I'm out of ideas and if you do get it working please post
>>back here and let us know how you did it!
>

> Never fear FG! I've been feverishly working on this thing and I'm
> about to post what I've got to the binary group if my news server
> doesn't wigg out on me again!. I recompiled the whole weapon
> including its mesh so the zip file is about 530kb. This one works
> on single player just like any other arena mutator now so I'm just
> about willing to bet that it will work on your server. Post back
> here when you get it installed and I will see if it works from here.
> I'm going to post it under the subject
>
> Zark rifle for fragging gorilla version 2
>
> I hope this one works! :-)

Anonymous
July 19, 2004 2:08:39 AM

OK. I pulled my head out and got everything downloaded. I hate to
admit this, but I used outlook express to d the download and merge onto
an XP box and then I copied it over to my FreeBSD desktop box. I
uploaded everything and restarted the server with the new mods. It says

Add mutator ZarkSLRBRifleArena_v2.ZarkSLRBRifleArena
Failed to load 'ZarkSLRBRifleArena_v2': Can't find file for package
'ZarkSLRBRifleArena_v2'
Failed to load 'Class ZarkSLRBRifleArena_v2.ZarkSLRBRifleArena': Can't
find file for package 'ZarkSLRBRifleArena_v2'
Add mutator BDBMapVote302.BDBMapVote

I think the reason for this is I do not have a ZarkSLRBRifleArena_v2.u
or ZarkSLRBRifleArena_v2.int files. I was forced to download the new
rifle so I know that is working.

Thanks for all of the work JHall. You will have to let me know how I
can repay you. I like good Belgium Beer and old Scotch if you want me
to send you one or the other, or maybe both?

gorilla

gorilla wrote:
> Howdy all,
>
> I have spent the better part of three days trying to build s sniper
> server. Here is what I have done.
>
> I have downloaded the ZM_SLRB_ZarkAssaultRifle.zip, unzipped the file
> and put the contents into the System folder, as per the instructions.
>
> I then modified my startup script to the following
>
> cd /home/unreal/unreal
> screen ./ucc server
> DM-Bathroom-SniperHeaven-[HR]Edition2?game=BotPack.DeathmatchPlus?
> mutator=BotPack.SniperArena,BotPack.Translocator,
> ZM_SLRB_ZarkAssaultRifle.ZM_SLRB_ZarkRifleMutator,BDBMapVote302.BDBMapVote
> ini-sniper_mod.ini log=sniper_mod.log
>
> *I have wrapped the words around to make it easier to read.*
>
> The reason that I added the translocator is to be able to use it.
> Otherwise the only thing I will get is the "regular" sniper rifle.
>
> I am unable to get the Zark rifle unless I remove the SniperArena, which
> is not what I want. I have searched with google for three days trying
> to find what someone, anyone else has done to get this to work, I have
> found nothing. I there are people who have this working, because I play
> on there servers, but I have yet to ask another admin his secerts. That
> will be my next step if I can not figure it out other wise.
>
> gorilla
Anonymous
July 19, 2004 8:25:21 AM

> OK. I pulled my head out and got everything downloaded. I hate
> to admit this, but I used outlook express to d the download and
> merge onto an XP box and then I copied it over to my FreeBSD
> desktop box. I uploaded everything and restarted the server
> with the new mods. It says

OE is not the best newsreader out there and I have used it before
myself until it gave me problems and I heard of all the security
risks associated with it. It's also a very under developed program
that just like Internet Explorer hasn't been updated in a while.
It seems that Bill Gates is too busy getting rich from it but if
it starts to cost him money, which it will eventually, he will
have to update OE and IE. But yeah, when you combine and decode
the individual parts of a multipart post you have to make sure they
are in numerical order in the list from top to bottom, otherwise
part 2 will be placed as the beginning of the file and part 1 at
the end. OE usually gets the order right in most cases but sometimes
it does not. Sorry about splitting it up as I forgot to set Xnews
to split files at a larger size or I could have posted it in one
file.

> Add mutator ZarkSLRBRifleArena_v2.ZarkSLRBRifleArena
> Failed to load 'ZarkSLRBRifleArena_v2': Can't find file for
> package 'ZarkSLRBRifleArena_v2'
> Failed to load 'Class ZarkSLRBRifleArena_v2.ZarkSLRBRifleArena':
> Can't find file for package 'ZarkSLRBRifleArena_v2'
> Add mutator BDBMapVote302.BDBMapVote
>
> I think the reason for this is I do not have a
> ZarkSLRBRifleArena_v2.u or ZarkSLRBRifleArena_v2.int files. I
> was forced to download the new rifle so I know that is working.

Ok, I see, I think! The ZarkSLRBRifleArena_v2.u and
ZarkSLRBRifleArena_v2.int files were not in the zip file after you
downloaded them? Anyway, scrap that mission as I am working on
a waaayyyy smaller version 3 now and I have found something wrong
with the original mutator. If there is a weapon in a map that uses
an ammo type that is a subclass of *ShockCore* it replaces the ammo
leaving the weapon that uses that ammo *ammo less* causing massive
havoc with accessed nones!!!. The engine tries to give ammo to the
player for the weapon, but there is no ammo since it has all been
replaced, hence the accessed nones. I am working to correct that
problem and make the mod a lot smaller in the process. I will post
back within the next 24 hours from the time I post this message with
either a progress report or a finished product. Hopefully a finished
product!. : )

> Thanks for all of the work JHall. You will have to let me know
> how I can repay you. I like good Belgium Beer and old Scotch if
> you want me to send you one or the other, or maybe both?

Hey, no problem man! As long as we get your server running the way
you want it to, I will be happy to have helped!. :-) However I am
also a scotch lover!. Nothing like a good scotch on the rocks with
sparkling water!. Even with flat water is okay with me!. I like
a brand of scotch called Black and White and another one called
Bacardi. Bacardi is not old but I believe Black and White is.

Ta for now

"Best?? Only a fool will assume they're the best."

Mr.K

For questions you may have concerning UT, UT2003,
or UT2004.
http://www.unrealtower.org/faq
Anonymous
July 19, 2004 2:59:47 PM

> gorilla <fragging_gorilla@hotmail.com> Blessed us with
>
>> OK. I pulled my head out and got everything downloaded. I hate
>> to admit this, but I used outlook express to d the download and
>> merge onto an XP box and then I copied it over to my FreeBSD
>> desktop box. I uploaded everything and restarted the server
>> with the new mods. It says

Ok! This is *IT*. I posted version 3 to the binary group under the
subject *This is it fragging gorilla...I hope!* I tested it with
several different maps I have that have different items in them and
are configured in different ways and it performed beautifully! I
fixed the problem with the original mutator replacing subclasses
of stuff. It only replaces the shock rifle, sniper rifle, shock
core, and rifle shell and not *any* subclasses of them. That's
with the ZM_SLRB_ZarkRifleMutator_v3 but the ZarkSLRBRifleArena_v3
replaces *all* weapons with Zark rifles and *all* ammo with
bullet boxes. Of course it still allows the translocator in the
game! :)  I could also make it allow the impact hammer if you
wanted it with only about 3 or 4 lines of code. The zip file
I just posted was roughly around 19 kilobytes so it should be
all one file. Let me know when you get it and if it works
and as always I wish you luck with my fingers crossed!.

"Best?? Only a fool will assume they're the best."

Mr.K

For questions you may have concerning UT, UT2003,
or UT2004.
http://www.unrealtower.org/faq
Anonymous
July 19, 2004 3:27:52 PM

JHall,

I downloaded the latest zip file. I put everything onto the server and
modified everything per your instrucitons. Here is what I get.

Mutators ZarkSLRBRifleArena_v3.ZarkSLRBRifleArena,BDBMapVote302.BDBMapVote
Add mutator ZarkSLRBRifleArena_v3.ZarkSLRBRifleArena
Failed to load 'ZarkSLRBRifleArena_v3': Can't find file for package
'ZarkSLRBRifleArena_v3'
Failed to load 'Class ZarkSLRBRifleArena_v3.ZarkSLRBRifleArena': Can't
find file for package 'ZarkSLRBRifleArena_v3'
Add mutator BDBMapVote302.BDBMapVote

I believe that it can not load ZarkSLRBRifleArena_v3 because there are
no .u & .int files associated with it.

gorilla

I have a 12 year old Gift set of MacAllan here for all of you trouble.

gorilla wrote:
> Howdy all,
>
> I have spent the better part of three days trying to build s sniper
> server. Here is what I have done.
>
> I have downloaded the ZM_SLRB_ZarkAssaultRifle.zip, unzipped the file
> and put the contents into the System folder, as per the instructions.
>
> I then modified my startup script to the following
>
> cd /home/unreal/unreal
> screen ./ucc server
> DM-Bathroom-SniperHeaven-[HR]Edition2?game=BotPack.DeathmatchPlus?
> mutator=BotPack.SniperArena,BotPack.Translocator,
> ZM_SLRB_ZarkAssaultRifle.ZM_SLRB_ZarkRifleMutator,BDBMapVote302.BDBMapVote
> ini-sniper_mod.ini log=sniper_mod.log
>
> *I have wrapped the words around to make it easier to read.*
>
> The reason that I added the translocator is to be able to use it.
> Otherwise the only thing I will get is the "regular" sniper rifle.
>
> I am unable to get the Zark rifle unless I remove the SniperArena, which
> is not what I want. I have searched with google for three days trying
> to find what someone, anyone else has done to get this to work, I have
> found nothing. I there are people who have this working, because I play
> on there servers, but I have yet to ask another admin his secerts. That
> will be my next step if I can not figure it out other wise.
>
> gorilla
Anonymous
July 21, 2004 12:43:05 AM

> I did get all six files and yes I am removing all of the other
> mutators, except for Map Vote, from the startup script. I had a
> Windows geek friend of mine download the mutator too and he also
> can not see any guns.

Does the original mutator that you downloaded from the Zarkmercs
website have guns that you can see in the game? Might be something
wrong with the mutator itself.

> Yes, I modified the .ini file as subjected in your instructions.
> I am at a loss for what to do now.

Me too dude! :(  I have some interesting news though. I just got
done playing a match on your server and I won! Wooooot! Against
a bot named Loque no less! I am going to post a Portable Network
Graphics or .png file to the binary group. Not a big thing to
other people but it is to me since this was the first time I ever
won a match in multiplayer!. You can also see my ping to the
server next to my name which was 263 when the game ended. I was
also playing on your server last night and I hit F1 to check out
who was playing and my ping. While I was looking at the info I
saw a person named "Slayer" join the game, 3 seconds later I saw
his frags turn to -1, and about 3 more seconds after that his name
disappeared. Heheee! He must have got mad and quit after he
killed himself!. :-) The map I was playing was
"DM-Bathroom-SniperHeaven-[HR]Edition2".

"Best?? Only a fool will assume they're the best."

Mr.K

For questions you may have concerning UT, UT2003,
or UT2004.
http://www.unrealtower.org/faq
Anonymous
July 21, 2004 7:55:11 AM

fragging gorilla <fragging_gorilla@hotmail.com> Blessed us with

[Snip All]

I just ran into a bad problem with your server dude! It gave
me a version mismatch with package 'credits'. I checked the
log file and it is the credits.utx file that is in question
and the problem is that I can't delete or move the credits
texture package because the game will not start if I do and
it won't let me move it while the game is running either.
If I try to move the file with the game running it gives me
an "access denied the source file may be in use" error. I
have the original file that was installed with Unreal Tournament
not GOTY. Are you running GOTY? That could be the cause or
it may be a Linux thing like the infamous package 'de' mismatch
error. The only bad part is that I can't move or delete the
file to download the server's version because the game needs
it to run. The map that was playing at the time was Cybrosis.

"Best?? Only a fool will assume they're the best."

Mr.K

For questions you may have concerning UT, UT2003,
or UT2004.
http://www.unrealtower.org/faq
Anonymous
July 21, 2004 8:38:33 PM

It happened to me too. What I did was remove the map from the rotation.
I am now able to get back on it and play.

gorilla

JHall wrote:

> fragging gorilla <fragging_gorilla@hotmail.com> Blessed us with
>
> [Snip All]
>
> I just ran into a bad problem with your server dude! It gave
> me a version mismatch with package 'credits'. I checked the
> log file and it is the credits.utx file that is in question
> and the problem is that I can't delete or move the credits
> texture package because the game will not start if I do and
> it won't let me move it while the game is running either.
> If I try to move the file with the game running it gives me
> an "access denied the source file may be in use" error. I
> have the original file that was installed with Unreal Tournament
> not GOTY. Are you running GOTY? That could be the cause or
> it may be a Linux thing like the infamous package 'de' mismatch
> error. The only bad part is that I can't move or delete the
> file to download the server's version because the game needs
> it to run. The map that was playing at the time was Cybrosis.

Anonymous
July 21, 2004 10:14:39 PM

> It happened to me too. What I did was remove the map from the
> rotation. I am now able to get back on it and play.

This is definitely weird and I don't know what would cause it
exactly. The map Cybrosis][ might be using textures from the
credits.utx file and the file it used when the author made the
map may be a different version to what you and I have. I will
open the map in the editor and try to see what I can see. If
it's just a texture on a hidden surface or something I can fix
that no problem but then there would be different versions of
the map out there to cause problems unless it's renamed just
to change a texture. It's strange that Epic included an editor
with their game, made it more tweekable and changeable than any
other game, then turned around and made it to where servers can
only use one version of files needed to function. I have the
original Cybrosis][ map that came in the bonus packs and I will
see if the map is calling for the credits texture package. I
wanted to play Cybrosis!. That's a cool map by my map making
idol Alan Willard!. :-) I'll post back an let you know what
I find out.

"Best?? Only a fool will assume they're the best."

Mr.K

For questions you may have concerning UT, UT2003,
or UT2004.
http://www.unrealtower.org/faq
Anonymous
July 21, 2004 10:45:35 PM

fragging gorilla <fragging_gorilla@hotmail.com> Blessed us with

> It happened to me too. What I did was remove the map from the
> rotation. I am now able to get back on it and play.

Ok...Here's what I found out about the map DM-Cybrosis][.unr. It
uses a texture out of the credits.utx file called *blackground* on
the movers used to simulate the electrical sparks where the damage
amp is located. It's only an 8x8 pure black texture used on some
of the movers to make the part of the mover with that texture on
it invisible. So, since me and you both got the version mismatch
error, it would be safe to assume that the server somehow has
gotten a hold of the wrong version of credits.utx. The credits.utx
file will be located in the UT\Textures folder. Is there any way
you can upload your copy of credits.utx to the server and overwrite
its version of the file? I see you already removed the map but
still, it's a cool map I think!.

!