Windows is no longer assigning a drive letter to my second..

April 21, 2005 10:52:02 PM

After having somes problems I backed up a few files and decided to do a clean
install of XP Home. All of my hard drives and CD-ROM drives were assigned
drive letters but now it won't assign my slave hard drive a letter (this is
after I've done the clean install). I've tried going to COMPUTER
MANAGEMENT/DISK MANAGEMENT to assign the drive a letter but the option is
darkened out. Windows recognizes the hard drive and says the STATUS is
HEALTHLY (ACTIVE). This should be my D drive and it has always been in the
past. My C drive says HEALTHLY (SYSTEM). I've tried HELP AND SUPPORT and
the Microsoft website to get answers but there is nothing that works. Even
BIOS recognizes the hard drive. So the question is how comes Windows
recognizes the hard drive but won't assign a drive letter automatically and
won't let me do it manually?
Anonymous
April 22, 2005 11:01:49 PM

Try moving it to Master on the Secondary IDE channel.
!