Sign in with
Your question

Getting a motherboard for the next few years

Last response: in Motherboards
May 19, 2011 1:27:58 PM

Hello everyone!
I am buying a new computer and I need some advice.
When I buy new computers i just usually get the best motherboard (and ram) that will last for the next few years, migrate whatever i can from my old computer, and upgrade other components as the time passes.
From reading a few articles and threads i came to the conclusion that the 1155 socket would be the best for me since it is just getting started so i decided on the i3-2120 processor(it will do for now but i will upgrade it with a quad core probably). The only components that i need now are the motherboard and ram which i want to be high end.
What i need from the motherboard is reliability and performance(since i will stick with it for a few years) and the possibility of upgrading it (the components on it) as long as i can. Also it needs to have crossfire capability (not just 2 slots but two well placed slots that will allow me to put 2 big cards like the 6990 in crossfire).
I have been looking at some gigabyte boards and the GA-Z68X-UD7-B3 seems like it has everything i want but it is just too expensive. Do any of the other cards (they have like 10 z68 cards) fulfill my requirements?
Thank you in advance for the replies!

More about : motherboard years

a b V Motherboard
May 19, 2011 4:58:03 PM

If you want long term, better get an AM3+ motherboard. You can get a CPU for it now but if you wait some 3 weeks, the new AM3+ CPUs will be out. You will be able to upgrade on that up to 8 core CPUs.
a b V Motherboard
May 19, 2011 5:13:41 PM

Actually there's new sockets coming out for Intel and AMD in the next couple months.

It's really hard to plan for something to last anymore, cause things change so fast.

Why do you need a $350 mobo? What's wrong with GA-Z68X-UD3P-B3 or GA-Z68X-UD4-B3? Both under $200.

May 19, 2011 6:48:01 PM

mosox said:
If you want long term, better get an AM3+ motherboard. You can get a CPU for it now but if you wait some 3 weeks, the new AM3+ CPUs will be out. You will be able to upgrade on that up to 8 core CPUs.

Well as far I have seen the Intel 4 cores beat the AMD 6 cores on the charts so I was assuming that Intel 6 cores would beat AMD 8 cores too.

geekapproved said:
Why do you need a $350 mobo? What's wrong with GA-Z68X-UD3P-B3 or GA-Z68X-UD4-B3? Both under $200.

As i understand from the gigabyte site if i want to upgrade to crossfire then those motherboards will ony do 8x/8x while the UD7 can do 16x/16x.
Related resources
!