Sign in with
Your question

Temperatures on an Intel Core 2 Duo

Last response: in CPUs
September 30, 2010 12:36:03 AM

Hi all,

I recently purchased a computer from a friend with a Intel Core 2 Duo E8500 CPU @ 3.16GHz.

It currently sits in a fairly warm room (but cool weather is coming soon, fortunately) and I found that after playing Oblivion (a fairly powerful game) for about 1-2 hours, the core temperatures on the CPUs jumped to about 72C. About 10-20 minutes after the game, they went down to the upper 50s. Idle temp I'm finding is about mid 40s to low 50s.

Do these temperatures seem safe? I do plan to cool the room down a bit, but the computer already has some fans in it.
a b à CPUs
September 30, 2010 11:03:31 AM

I would suggest taking the chip out, cleaning it properly (with alcohol if you can, but if not a simple micro-fibre cloth works well) and then reseating the CPU with some new good quality paste such as MX-2.

I recently sold an old computer that I did up for a friend.. it was using a Core2Duo and was idle at 45C. Cleaning the heatsink (removing all dust and fluff) and seating with some new (and better) paste reduced idle temps to 39C.

Remember cheap thermal compound dries up to almost a powder. Getting some quality paste makes all the difference.
m
l
a b à CPUs
October 1, 2010 8:43:50 PM

You can also install PCI slot fans, they're a little loud sometimes, but MY GOD they move a lot of air :].
m
l
Related resources
a c 172 à CPUs
a b å Intel
October 2, 2010 5:05:26 AM

72 C, depending on what you are using to monitor your temperatures, is at the top of the acceptable range?

Is the system overclocked?

Is the system running with the stock cooler?
m
l
a b à CPUs
October 2, 2010 6:27:19 AM

jsc said:
72 C, depending on what you are using to monitor your temperatures, is at the top of the acceptable range?

Is the system overclocked?

Is the system running with the stock cooler?

Of course its overclocked 3.** ghz,
m
l
a b à CPUs
October 2, 2010 6:28:52 AM

You might want to get a cpu cooler, or change thermal paste at the mates suggested, or install additional fans.
Also make sure , that there is no dust blocking the air flow.
m
l
!