Sign in with
Your question

Motherboard does not powerdown when Windows shuts down

Last response: in Motherboards
May 19, 2011 1:33:54 PM

I completed a new build Sunday May 15. I was able to power up, install Windows 7, and power down successfully. When I powered down all fans shut down and all LEDs on the motherboard and case were unlit. Since then, I have been able to power up and run windows, but when I shut down windows the fans continue to run and the LEDs on the case power switch and case fans remain lit. I can't power up again using the case power switch, but I can press the case reset switch and windows will start up as though I powered up normally. It appears that either windows is not telling the HW to shutdown, or the HW is not responding to windows shutdown. Everything else seems to be working fine, it's just that the HW does not power down when windows shuts down. For now I have resorted to using the power switch on the power supply to turn off the PC. I have flashed the latest bios code but that did not fix the problem. I am happy with the build other than the problem with shutting down the PC. I don't run my PCs 24/7 so this is important to me.

At the suggestion of Asrock, I plan to disconnect all components from the motherboard tonight except for the minimum (cpu, cpu cooler, gfx card, 1 ram stick, SSD, and all MB connections other than power, power switch and reset switch) to see what happens. I am going to borrow a watt meter from a coworker to see if the PC is drawing the same power before/after windows shutdown.

Has anyone else had a problem like this? Suggestions?

Build info:
Nothing is overclocked, all timing is at default values.
Everything is in the case and buttoned up. Temperatures appear to be good.
Asrock P67 Extreme4 (B3)
i7-2600K
XFX Radeon 6950 2 GB
Corsair CMPSU-750TX 750W power supply
G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 1600 F3-12800CL8D-8GBXM (4 sticks, 16 GB total)
Intel 510 SSD 120GB SATA III
Hitachi Deskstar 7K2000 2TB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5"
Lite-on Blu-ray Burner with 3D Playback SATA iHBS212 LightScribe
Asus Xonar_DG 5.1 PCI Sound Card
Xigmatek Gaia SD1283 120mm CPU Cooler
Corsair Graphite Series 600T Case
Microsoft Windows 7 Professional SP1 64-bit
a b V Motherboard
May 19, 2011 4:55:15 PM

Check again the front panel connectors, it's easy to get them wrong. Check the power options/advanced tab in the control panel as well if it's set right.
m
l
May 19, 2011 8:48:21 PM

Thanks, I'll check the connectors and control panel settings.
m
l
Related resources
!