Sign in with
Your question

WD hard drive not being detected

Last response: in Storage
October 11, 2012 4:12:25 PM

Hi,

I have an external WD elements Hard drive and it's almost three years old and it served well.
But it fell on the floor yesterday accidentally, and now my PC is not able to detect it. LED keeps on blinking. For the first time when I plugged it in, it was detected but then I was not able to copy the data. Now, it isn ot being detected.
I don't know what to do now. Is the drive dead? Repairable?
Are hard drive so prone to fail when they fall?
Please help.

More about : hard drive detected

a c 288 G Storage
October 11, 2012 7:43:53 PM

It has probably sustained head or media damage, or both. It could also be a stiction fault, or seized spindle motor. Another possibility may be a damaged USB connector.

If there is media damage, then continuing to power up the drive will only make things worse.

On the plus side, Elements models are not encrypted, so you should be able to remove the drive from the enclosure and attach it directly to a SATA port on your computer's motherboard.
m
l
October 12, 2012 6:05:28 PM

Get WD Diag from their support site and see if it can recognize the drive for testing
m
l
Related resources
October 20, 2012 4:48:05 PM

I installed the software but still it is not getting detected!
What to do? Suggestions?
m
l
October 20, 2012 4:50:56 PM

fzabkar said:
It has probably sustained head or media damage, or both. It could also be a stiction fault, or seized spindle motor. Another possibility may be a damaged USB connector.

If there is media damage, then continuing to power up the drive will only make things worse.

On the plus side, Elements models are not encrypted, so you should be able to remove the drive from the enclosure and attach it directly to a SATA port on your computer's motherboard.

What should I do to attach the drive directly to SATA port? First time I connected it I was able to see the folders, but after that my PC got stuck and resumed only after removing the disk.
Can I get my data back?
m
l
a c 288 G Storage
October 20, 2012 7:30:49 PM

I don't know whether you will be successful, but you could at least eliminate the enclosure as a potential problem.
m
l
October 21, 2012 6:57:19 AM

fzabkar said:
I don't know whether you will be successful, but you could at least eliminate the enclosure as a potential problem.

If i remove the enclosure, what should I do ahead? Means how do I connect it to SATA?
m
l
October 22, 2012 1:52:13 AM

Find an open SATA port on your mobo and SATA power connector and use a SATA cable to hook up data, power to power port. If you only have molex (4 pin white connector), you can get an adapter (and the SATA cable if you need one) from any local computer hardware store.

After you hook it up, it should show in Computer just like any other hard drive. If it doesn't, let us know and we can go into the Disk Manager.
m
l
October 22, 2012 1:53:41 AM

Oh, and then re-run WD Diag when it's on a SATA port...
m
l
April 16, 2013 2:14:58 PM

I had the same problem. Luckily I have a MacBook laptop as a 2nd development laptop. I put it into the Mac and it recognised it straight away. I then formatted it in DOS-FAT format in the Disk Utility in the mac. Then I took it to my PC and it was recognised. I then reformatted it to NTFS and now it works fine. Go figure.
m
l
!