Sign in with
Your question

I7-950 VS Phenom II X6 1090T

Last response: in CPUs
September 30, 2010 12:39:54 AM

OK I have builds in mind (I can only do one but im looking for what might be the better deal ish) (This is my second Build)

Lets Start with Uses: HGU (Heavy-Game-Use), Video Editing/Encoding, Burning DVDs (maybe BDs), Casual Internet, and Music Listening/TS3 (Usually some at the same time). I like both companys (tend to lean a small bit twards Intel but it doesnt make a big diffrence) and Either way ill be getting an ATI 5870.

Im wanting to see if the i7-950 would be better than the Phenom II X6 1090T, Tom's Charts (Chart) show the 950 out does the 1090 in almost all areas by just a bit. BUT also it says the 950 is running @ 4C/8T w/1066 and the 1090 @ 6C w/1333...
So the 950 is hyperthreading (corrct?) w/ a bit slower ram and the 1090 isn't hyperthreading (which it can do- correct?) w/ a bit faster ram. BUT if it did hyperthread it would be @ 6C/12T... am I wrong in thinking this?
HERE is the Full comparison --->(HERE)

There REALLY close in price ish... i7 = $1,462.92 BEFORE BD burner (havent decided if I want 1 yet), 1090T = $1,479.91 W/ BD Burner

i7-950 BUILD
Intel Core i7-950 Bloomfield 3.06GHz on Newegg

1090T Build (hasnt posted on Newegg as of now) But its mostly the same, only real diffrences is a BD burner, still GB-MB, and processor...
AMD Phenom II X6 1090T Black Edition Thuban 3.2GHz on newegg

Im Happy with all my parts unless someone showes me something WAY better for about the same or cheaper..

I REALLY just want to know which one will out preform the other espically with Editing/Encoding + Games.

THanks!!!
-The Ram-

PS.- anyone know a GREAT DVD burning program off-hand?

More about : 950 phenom 1090t

a b à CPUs
September 30, 2010 7:03:37 AM

You would have to consider the price of the entire system, not just the CPU. So draw up a full list, compare the two and decide which better fits your budget. The i7 will outperform the Phenom in the majority of applications, especially encoding, but then again Intel-based builds are usually more expensive.

And no, AMD chips do not support hyperthreading, so you only get 6 threads with the Phenom II X6.
m
l
Related resources
a c 81 à CPUs
September 30, 2010 8:22:20 AM

Hyper-Threading is not of much significance considering gaming and majority of other applications.. So lets just count it out.. The i7 950 with 4 cores still betters out the X6 1090T which has 6 cores by the virtue of being based on a better (and faster) architecture.. The X58 platform does fetch you the advantage of higher RAM count (if you can use it to your advantage) and video card flexibility by providing both SLI and Crossfire compatibility.. So overall, if you can afford the i7 950 build, surely go for it.. Both are even when considered solely for single card or crossfire gaming rig (advantage Intel when building a SLI based rig).. Considering you've a 1500$ budget, i'll suggest a config similar to the following -

AMD Phenom II X6 1090T

MSI 890FX-GD70

Sapphire Vapor-X 1GB HD 5870

G-Skill Ripjaws 8GB (2 x 4GB) 1600 MHz

Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB

Pioneer Blu-ray Burner

XFX XPS 750W Black Edition

CoolerMaster HAF-X
m
l
September 30, 2010 6:07:13 PM

I'd really only use the (excellent) x6 if money is really tight with a cheap motherboard, or where you are trying to upgrade and or re-use existing parts.

It can be paired with a really cheap motherboard, or dropped into many older AM2+/3 boards, and offer far better valve than an intel build.

However, if you have the money and want a better quality motherboard then as you have found they are about the same cost and you will probably be able to squeeze more performance out of the i7.

Both platforms are almost end of line, but don't let that bother you, by the time you upgrade (3-5years) any socket goes south.
m
l
October 1, 2010 3:24:49 AM

Thanks Yall for the replys!

I think ill go with the i7, after the charts and help.

@ ct1615:
Thanks for the site, I definatly saved that ite for future help, and imma agre with the dentist...lol

@ Herr_Koos:
Yeah I "built" both and the price is only about 100 or 200 diffrence and for a better system im willing to put a bit more in it, thanks for the info on hyperthreading

@ Emperus:
thx bro ill look into that system, tho im think later imma cross-fire with another 5870.

@ joeythellama:
Yeah i build my Core2 Quad a little bit before i7 and its about almost 2 year ish i think, but I just want something new and to give thisPC to my GF so we dont have fight to play Mass Effect, Dragon Age, SC2, BC2, ect lol

But thanks yall for the info!

m
l
!