What is the max. cpu I can put in my emachine el1200-07w and it still \

miser61

Distinguished
May 19, 2011
I am wanting to upgrade the cpu on my MB. the computer is a emachine el1200-07w. It's not a bad little pc in my eyes BUT, I would like to go to a 2.?, and it still plays nice with the P.S. Also I'm going to go up to the 4gig max on memory as well. Can someone help. I contacted emachine techie and they "suggest" I don't change any hardware. The thing is long past warranty, so I don't really think it matters too much. I have changed out thye 160 gig HD and put in a 750 gig sata / no problems up-to-date.... Thank you all ahead of time for your responses....

Solution
You may not like this answer, but I think most here would agree with me;
Trust me, upgrading from your Athlon 2650e and the expense of DDR2 RAM will cost you $50 less than simply replacing the MB, RAM, and CPU with modern, quality parts. Plus, there is no BIOS upgrade and no mention of CPU upgrades - you could be playing with fire; literally. Because that horrifically inefficient PSU (what is it...300w...emachines won't say...gasp!) just might cook if you try this.

Noworldorder

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2011
You may not like this answer, but I think most here would agree with me;
Trust me, upgrading from your Athlon 2650e and the expense of DDR2 RAM will cost you $50 less than simply replacing the MB, RAM, and CPU with modern, quality parts. Plus, there is no BIOS upgrade and no mention of CPU upgrades - you could be playing with fire; literally. Because that horrifically inefficient PSU (what is it...300w...emachines won't say...gasp!) just might cook if you try this.

Solution

miser61

Distinguished
May 19, 2011
First, Thanx for the come-back... 2nd - putting a different MB & Ram sounds like the thing I need to do. I really like the small footprint of this machine. It has a 220w PS. (Part A) -When I do the upgrade, will I need to purchase a new PS as well? (Part B) - What would (in your opinion) would be a good MB & RAM to put into this? I need good value for the $$$ as well as being efficient to play my FPS's. Older ones, like F.E.A.R. & below (Doom 3, RTC Wolfenstein etc)?

Noworldorder

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2011
Definitely.
Before we can make recommendations, I need to know if you can tell me something I don't know; are you computer savvy enough to figure out the front panel wiring. The reason I ask because every time we run into a problem upgrading with an OEM case (especially eMachines) we find out the F/P wiring is proprietary.
If it is proprietary, well, I'm sorry, but you'll end up with a new case. Before I start making recommendation, let me know what you think.

miser61

Distinguished
May 19, 2011
Thanx Again... I' MighT/?? be able to do it but my bro-in-law is an electrical expert. Last question I hope... This system seems to not want any upgrades ExcepT ram... In your opinion, would it be beneficial to just bump it up 2 4 gig and then leave it at that?? I got alotted $75 for ??? for the computer, parts ??? etc. Thanks Ahead of time for your response....

Noworldorder

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2011
For gaming the extra RAM would help.