Please Help - Annoying cold boot issue

randy12345

Honorable
Mar 7, 2012
Whenever I boot up my pc after being off for around an hour or longer windows will load up but after that there is a "lag" every 5 seconds. It is kind of hard to explain but just a temporary freeze every 5 seconds, and then if i try to open a few things windows pretty much freezes. This only happens on a cold boot, and if i reset the pc it usually fixes it. I did have windows crash once while doing it, so i completely wiped my drive and re-installed windows 7, it still has the issue. I would think it would be my hard drive but could it be something else?

Please help me pinpoint the problem or find a fix, much appreciated.

cpu - i5-3570k
mobo - ga-z77x-ud5h f8 bios
memory - 9-9-9-27 1866 @ 1.5v crucial ballistic tactical tracer 8g
gpu - hd7850
hard drive - seagate barracuda st1000dm003 with firmware update
power supply - rosewill 850 xtreme

Solution
I had what might be a similar problem with an older computer of mine. I replaced the motherboard and the problem was solved. IDK if its the same issue for you, but that's what worked for me. You could try a BIOS update, testing the system with a different storage drive, or also run memtest to see if the memory is related (it probably isn't IMO, but it doesn't hurt to be thorough).

Also, what PSU do you have? How old is it and have you used it in previous builds or upgraded this build since you got the PSU?

luciferano

Honorable
Sep 24, 2012
I had what might be a similar problem with an older computer of mine. I replaced the motherboard and the problem was solved. IDK if its the same issue for you, but that's what worked for me. You could try a BIOS update, testing the system with a different storage drive, or also run memtest to see if the memory is related (it probably isn't IMO, but it doesn't hurt to be thorough).

Also, what PSU do you have? How old is it and have you used it in previous builds or upgraded this build since you got the PSU?

Solution

luciferano

Honorable
Sep 24, 2012
That is a very overkill PSU. It's unlikely, but it might be related to your problems. You might want to look in stuff such as the device manager to see if there are any unknown devices or you could check if any drivers aren't working properly. You could also consider my earlier suggestions.

inerax

Distinguished
Is it only on cold boot?

I had the same problem but it would happen for 5-20 seconds randomly and only last 3 seconds or so back to back.

The HDD would make funny sounds when this would happen.

Found it was a had hard drive.

GL

Hi,

Check for malware / virus with malware bytes, hitman pro.

If it's ok, download hard disk sentinel trial to check the status of HD,

You could do a chkdsk /f/r in command prompt to correct disk errors

If all that is ok it might be you antivirus / windows downloading updates.

randy12345

Honorable
Mar 7, 2012
Hi i'm back, I did the bios update and also updated some motherboard drivers and still have the issue, last night i turned my computer off and this morning after booting it up, within 2 minutes it went back into a complete freeze starting with the little freezes every 5 seconds or so after the first minute. Once again I restarted and it was just fine. When this was going on I managed to open up task manager (after taking some time to open) and the cpu % was only 3 percent with the ram at 1g used. I ran a chkdsk about two days ago and it did some updates but didnt really seem to help. Also the only malware protection I use is malwarebytes and superantimalware and they havent found anything.

Any other ideas?

mar4all

Honorable
Oct 11, 2012
try to stop all services except Microsoft on >>> you can change them from run >>> msconfig >> services ..and hit ( hide Microsoft services )
try to disable all start up programs too at msconfig >> startup ....
do a restart ....

still freeze ??

give alook to temperatures ....download HWinfo 32 its free ... and c the sensors ...check the Voltage 3,3 5 12 on HWinfo 32 .. ( or if freeze happening while voltage go down )...

now to check the PSU ...you have to make load on pc ..
download prima95 ... and furmark there are free too .. do strees test and c if its freez or maybe down ..

is the HDD LED turn on while freezing ?