expellite

Honorable
Sep 12, 2012
What can I do to improve HDD health? which factors affect on HDD health? How long does a hard drive last? What is the optimum temperature for a HDD?

Solution

To answer your first question: In simple terms you cannot improve HDD health as it's a mechanical device with move parts etc. Yes there are tools but I can't see how it may improve if not extend the life if anything.

Second question: The condition of the drive, how it's treated i.e. dropped, bumped around etc. Heat is IMHO is the number one threat to any HDD.

Third question: There is no straight answer, any HDD can fail at any given time regardless of the age. Others can last decades.

Fourth question: Recommended manufacturers numbers - use google. The cooler the better...
What can I do to improve HDD health?

Avoid writing to it unecessarily or too often (eg defragmenting too often)

which factors affect on HDD health?

As above, also initial build-quality.

How long does a hard drive last?

Impossible to say - some last only a few weeks, others can last for years. Even new ones have been known to fail after only one day!

What is the optimum temperature for a HDD?

generally, safe max is 55C

ELMO_2006

Honorable
Aug 29, 2012

To answer your first question: In simple terms you cannot improve HDD health as it's a mechanical device with move parts etc. Yes there are tools but I can't see how it may improve if not extend the life if anything.

Second question: The condition of the drive, how it's treated i.e. dropped, bumped around etc. Heat is IMHO is the number one threat to any HDD.

Third question: There is no straight answer, any HDD can fail at any given time regardless of the age. Others can last decades.

Fourth question: Recommended manufacturers numbers - use google. The cooler the better but not too cold

Edit: Made some corrections to grammar and spelling.

Solution

expellite

Honorable
Sep 12, 2012
Thank you! My HDD works in 36C and I hope it's good! I really worry about the HDD failure! I had a Seagate Barracuda 500Gb SATA2 but it failed after 2 years (less that 2 years of course)!!!! the previous devices were perfect! for exampled I bought my 1st system in 2002 ans it worked properly for 8 years until I sold it!!! I worked very well and didn't have any problem!!!!!! I wonder why those components were so High-Quality but now only expensive components are High-Quality!!!!

ELMO_2006

Honorable
Aug 29, 2012
Until recently I had an old WD Caviar 80GB drive that failed on me. The Caviar has lasted longer than the 1.5 year old Samsung that had to be RMA'd.

High quality don't mean jack today its just fancy marketing to get you to fork over some $$$.

Recommendation, always back up your data and never trust any drive moreso mechanical drives.

ELMO_2006

Honorable
Aug 29, 2012
LOL, does the term "don't place all your eggs in one basket" come to mind?

http://siliconangle.com/blog/2012/07/02/amazon-explains-their-public-cloud-failure-outage-causes-outrage/

I use multiple backups spanned across multiple drives, so the odds are in my favour that if I lose one drive I have another in place to pick up where that drive has failed.

expellite

Honorable
Sep 12, 2012

I know honey but I don't have any money to have multiple HDDs!!!!!!!!! I'm planning to buy a monitor first! I'm going to sell this monitor to Louvre!!! Samsung SyncMaster 765MB!! older than MONA LISA!!!! LOL!