Anything better than a Q9300 for $140?

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Hey guys, I'm looking to upgrade my ancient c2d 6400, I can get a Q9300 OEM for 140(not including tax) and would like to know if there's anything better at a similar price, after searching I saw some posts where people assumed the Q6600 is better for overclocking(Assumed because the Q9300 but looking at the 7.5 vs 9 mult I can see why), but I can't find a Q6600 thats below 230, any other 775 socket cpu at a similar price with better performance?

G

My last CPU upgrade was the 6400 back when they first came out. This one will probably be the same until octo cores come out.

shiftstealth

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2009
Yea thats likely the best you can do without upgrading your Motherboard. I'd pull the trigger.

And although you may want the q6600, The q6600 is 2 die's of core 2 duos on one chip. the q9300 is a true quad. whereas the q6600 is 2 duals. Also the q6600 is 65NM lithography and the q9300 is 45nm lithography.

G

Thanks, never knew that about being a real quad, always thought that as long as they had 4 cores they'd be the same. does it actually make a difference in performance when it comes to games? either way I'm probably getting the q9300 as I can't seem to find a cheaper cpu.

Here are my specs in case anyone is wondering;
Evga 260gtx
XFX750i motherboard
WINTEC AMPX 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400)

No matter what, as long as you stick with the 775 mobo, you're wasting your money. Core 2 Quads are far too expensive these days for what they give you. If you change to an AM2+ mobo you'll be able to use the PhII-X6 series without changing mobos again. Raise your budget to $200, get an Athlon II X3 or X4 and a new mobo. It will still be a HUGE upgrade in performance and you'll be in much better shape for the future.

STFU amd fanboy.He said he uses a mobo with 775 socket.And wants to buy an intel cpu for 140Usd.
Right, so he can't change his motherboard for something else which he's going to have to do anyway. You would have him pay the $140 now and then have to pay the $200 later? Ignorant people like you are what's wrong with the world. Go back to playing with lego blocks and let the people who have a clue about technology live in peace.

BTW, your post has been reported. I doubt it will survive long. I'm sure it violates at least 3 provisions in the forum rules.

STFU amd fanboy.He said he uses a mobo with 775 socket.And wants to buy an intel cpu for 140Usd.

No need to get personal guys... Attack the idea all you want, but leave the personal insults out of it...

damasvara

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2010

That's exactly what I said at the AMD vs Intel thread. But this fan boy, dipankar, is just way to annoying to be let loose. I don't mind the fanboism, but you should see his posts. Insulting, backstabbing, running away when cornered is all he ever did. I was going to teach him some manners about forum posting, until mousemonkey closed the thread to prevent the others from cornering him. I bet even fellow Intel fan boys is ashamed to be in the same group with this one.

Check this thread:

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/forum2.php?config=tomshardwareus.inc&cat=28&post=290941&page=1&p=1&sondage=0&owntopic=1&trash=0&trash_post=0&print=0&numreponse=0&quote_only=0&new=0&nojs=0

As a moderator, you'll know better how to treat this kind of member. He already said that it's okay to be banned anyway. I'd say just give him what he deserves. He knows what's coming to him.

This isn't personal, this is him against I don't know how many member besides myself who's pissed by his actions. He has an ego bigger than the Asia continent, with a knowledge nowhere to keep up with it.

@dipankar, the internet maybe godless, but this forum has moderators. Watch your mouth, in this case, watch your fingers that's typing posts here. :non: You're building yourself negative sentiments, don't let it get any bigger than it is now.

damasvara

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2010
If you have any problem with me PM me or start a hate thread against me.You have no right to hizack OP's thread.
First of all, from my point of view, this thread is practically closed. The OP already got his options, which include wait for the Sandy Bridge, change platform to AMD (which you insulted with the abbreviated line "SHUT THE F**K UP"), go for it, etc. He has got all the options available. I have nothing to say to the OP.

Second of all, I'm not hijacking (with a "J", not "Z"), I was only directly reporting your annoying behavior to a Moderator, since one happens to be in this thread. Claiming you can tell Tom's to change my status to "Spell Check", and dare the others on who's going to be penalized while knowing that you're the only one making trouble, that big fat ego of yours will take you down the drain.

Third of all, your psyche play is old school. Pretending to apologize, changing topics when can't find an answer (like using the thread hijacking excuse), ask suggestions then insult the one giving it, playing innocent, editing your whole post, being a genuine anti AMD with no concrete knowledge base to support it whatsoever. You're pretty good at it, but unfortunately for you, you're dealing with the wrong guy to be back stabbed. I can see right through your tactics.

Last but not least, I don't need to PM you, since I know you'll reply with some shallow insulting comments like F** OF (Correction: F**K OFF, you missed an alphabet and an "F") or set me up and report to the moderator about the contents of my PM. I also don't need to start a thread against you, it would be far too good for you. Let the moderators here decide what to do with you. If they decided to do nothing, that means they have a VERY high tolerance against fowl mouthed, egocentric, shallow minded members. If that's the case, we'll surely meet again when you start yapping about AMD is for poor people and Intel is for rich people. You'll eventually be cornered again like last time and took off with a "gangsta's style" goodbye: "F** OF".

By the way, how was it feel to be cornered by so many members at the AMD vs Intel thread? :whistle:

damasvara

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2010
^dud you need a mental doctor.Way you are insulting him seems like he has raped your wife or kicked your ass in your personal life.
Comment reported.
Dude, this is about principals. I just can't sit back while someone keep dissing the others with retarded and insulting comments. I was only returning the favor.

Let me ask you, what do you hate the most?

EDIT: Forget my previous question, this is you isn't it, dipankar? The same grammar errors, just registered today with 3 posts, You can't report me who's reporting you, so you make a new account to do it. Nice one. Even if this isn't you or you deny it, I don't mind being banned for doing what's right. Banned in Tom's won't ruin my real life anyway.

Skidrow 2010

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2010

Your arrogance pops out from the way you post.Just because i registered today you are thinking i am that Intel Fanboy.I thought Tom has the best people using there forum never thought my first interaction would be with a rotten egg like you.Get a life retard.

Status
Not open for further replies.