idjlee96

Distinguished
May 6, 2011
So I have been looking into building a tower for the first time. I had my mindset on a p67 mobo, but I was recently introduced to the Z68. Which apparently is a mobo that allows for both the OC capability and the Onboard graphics of the SB intel CPU.

I was originally planning on getting a gpu, but looking at it now, I think I might save up a little more money, use the onboard graphics card for now, and then purchase a higher end GPU later. I also heard there is a way to run both the onboard and a seperate GPU at the same time for better Graphics performance.

I would just like some experts opinions on the choice I should make, and perhaps recommend me a decent Mobo, whether it be a Z68 and P67.

Also, I am pretty sure z68 is fairly new, does that mean that it will have little support and knowledge out there about the Bios and firmware and whatnot. Being a first time builder, I could use all the support I can get.

Once again, I am just wondering if a Z68 is worth it, and whether my plan to use the Onboard GPU first will work or not.
Also, looking for recommendations. Thanks :)

Cheers
-Isaac-

chesteracorgi

Distinguished
If you want to get, and use on chip graphics for now and a GPU later and do not intend to overclock (now or in the future) you can also consider the H67 series of mobos. The H67 will use either the native graphics on the sandybridge chip, but there will be no CPU overclocking.

As far as support I'd recommend the Z68 chipset as it appears to be the new mainstream and will not be orphaned too soon. The H67 and P67 will have pleanty of support, but the future is with the Z68.

Good mobo manufacturers are ASRock, ASUS, Gigabyte, MSI, Intel and Biostar. There are others, like Saphire, ECS EVGA and Zotec, but they don't seem to have the market share to instill too much confidence. Not saying that there is anything wrong with their products, but I'd go with one of the majors.

jbakerlent

Distinguished
What are you going to use the system for and what is your budget? If gaming is in that list, then the IGP wouldn't suffice. Z68 shouldn't have any support/firmware problems. The other main feature of Z68 is SRT or SSD caching, which lets you use a small SSD as cache for your most recently use applications. If this is of interest to you and you plan to use the IGP then Z68 would be a good option. Also, if you don't need the SRT, but would like to use IGP there's always H67.

Edit: Chesteracorgi beat me to it :)

idjlee96

Distinguished
May 6, 2011
First of all, I wanted to say Thanks to everyone. Really informative and great answers.

Basically, I am going to be using the PC for video editing/rendering. That is my main and most important focus, gaming is also going to be done, but isn't as urgent. Therefore, I can wait on the GPU.

I am just wondering if it will be possible to install and use a different high-end GPU with the z68 Mobo. I don't see a reason why not, but just double checking.

Also, I am going to be getting a 60GB ssd for my windows and some programs, I heard the cache is good for smaller sized SSD's. What exactly does the SSD cache do?

Once again thanks to everyone.

Also, I am looking to get the ASUS P8Z68-V PRO
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131730

Opinions and Personal experiences with it will be really appreciated. Thanks :)

Kaboose

Distinguished
May 4, 2011
The SSD cache allows for use of min 20 GB of SSD space to speed up the write read values for a HDD.
It combines a portion of SSD and the HDD into a single volume to increase speeds near SSD level while maintaing capacity of HDD.
Think its dubbed Intel Smart Response.
Currently in the market of building a z68 based new rig as well.
Original was pushed away from z68 idea becuase the chipset does not support 2 pci-e x16 slots in crossfire or sli.
I belive it reduces both down to x8 x8 or maybe x16 x8.
The x58 chipset does but its dying out and wouldnt be wise to invest such money into a soon dead end.
But given the fact the x68 is so far away and after alot of research learning that x8 x8 really offers little performance difference until you reach resolutions that I probably wont be using anyways,(Damn monitors way to expensive ><) decided that really little reason to not choose z68 if i choose to buy now. Have everything pretty much figured out cept the decision of using SSD and HDD with ISR or just using SSD.
Also considering using the ISR with 2 600g velociraptors in raid 0, but havent read up enough to know if I can set up the HDD's in raid 0 with the SSD caching data for both. If I can I should be able to get a rather large performance boost without losing the capacity or relaibility that I've come to expect of HDD.
Also I've heard that setting up 2 SSD's in raid 0 does not enhance the speed of the SSD's read/write cycles.
So I'm kinda guessing that using ISR with an SSD cache to enhance main SSD speed would not work either.
Other problems is Cyberpowerpc not having the exact SSD's im looking for as well as minor issue of Cyberpowerpc not having the brand of graphics card I want as a selection choice for all of their available card types.

BTW nice board choice, thats the one I've decided to go with cuase the Maximus board not available yet(Tired of waiting!) and ASUS Bios seems to be a step ahead of other main brands.
It comes with all the good options and features you would expect from a z68 Based board.