Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Hard disk dying ?

Last response: in Storage
October 11, 2012 6:44:17 PM

i just built myself a new pc but i reused my old seagate 320gb hdd from my previous 4yr old pc..
the thing is my hdd makes a lot of high pitched clicking noises at random intervals .. it used to do that in my old pc as well but since i ran out of budget i kept my old hdd.. this problem is since past year
sometimes the clicking is very frequent like every 30 seconds or while sometimes less often..
the clicking sound is quite loud to be clearly audible. am sure its my hdd..
i want to know what exactly is happening to my hdd and if it is dying ..in that case what must i do ..how do i backup my data before my hdd fails.. and do i really need to get a new hdd coz i spent all my money on my new build ..thanks

More about : hard disk dying

Best solution

a b G Storage
October 11, 2012 6:55:36 PM

There is a good chance that the drive itself is going to fail. I had a similar issue with some older WD Caviar HDD's. These things would squeal and click as if the platters themselves were alive and wanted out. Though they tested fine, eventually they failed and failed hard.

It's a difficult decision to make however you need to ask yourself:

1. If the drive fails tomorrow, can you afford to be without a desktop?
2. Can you deal with the loss of your data?

If you answer YES to both, then leave the system as is until the failure and deal with it then however I would recommend backing up your data at least to USB drives as they are cheap. Canadacomputers.com has ADATA 16GB USB drives for 9.97 or Staples has a 32GB USB drive for 15.99.

As to how to backup your data, you need a plan of what needs to be backed up and how often. Usually the Windows Backup utility is simple and good if not without its flaws or there are numerous free backup utilities that can be used.
I use FreeFileSync for backing up files as well as others.

Hope this helps and good luck.
October 11, 2012 7:18:24 PM

i have 80 GB maxtor with alot of noise...tek ... tak ... tok ..

seems that it has damaged blocks ... and its repaired with HDD regenerator ... the high noise gone ... still the noise when its start and shut down .... but i totally dont count on it any more ..for saveing important data ...still work and doing fine since half a year ...

try to check it with test with HDD tune
http://www.hdtune.com/download.html
m
l
Related resources
October 12, 2012 3:44:33 AM

Best answer selected by mohit9206.
m
l
October 12, 2012 3:47:47 AM

the data in my hdd is not that important ..mostly games and movies that i can always re install on a new hdd .. the cost of hdd is quite a lot these days so maybe i will keep my hdd until it fails..i will backup the data i see as important since i have a 16 gb usb flash drive.. thanks for the help
m
l
a b G Storage
October 12, 2012 4:00:02 AM

Just a quick note, I see a lot of USB drives getting corrupted. If you keep a back up on there, do not use it as a portable drive. Keep it unused. I personally wouldn't use a USB, but I have a lot of spare HDD's lying around unused.
m
l
October 12, 2012 12:16:08 PM

mohit9206 said:
the data in my hdd is not that important ..mostly games and movies that i can always re install on a new hdd .. the cost of hdd is quite a lot these days so maybe i will keep my hdd until it fails..i will backup the data i see as important since i have a 16 gb usb flash drive.. thanks for the help

keeping the hard suffer from bad sectors ( if there is ) make him die faster ... that noise often come when hard has problems and errors reading from bad sectors and damaged blocks ...

m
l
October 13, 2012 6:17:59 AM

mar4all said:
keeping the hard suffer from bad sectors ( if there is ) make him die faster ... that noise often come when hard has problems and errors reading from bad sectors and damaged blocks ...

so how do i repair the bad sectors and damaged blocks ?
m
l
October 13, 2012 1:36:14 PM

I understand what you mean here. The sound may be caused by power supply. Have you seen the max power supply of your computer if it is the same with the power supply you change. But try to reduce the power so that the sound will reduce or change the power light and see what will happen. If you still notice that, then check the link blow I hope you will find the solution there thank http://www.techyv.com/questions/my-hardrive-very-noisy
m
l
!