What card to buy? Too many choices.

Hi All,

I am looking at my first PC build. Currently I've chosen to buy the Sapphire Toxic 5850 2GB card. Why? Because it got great reviews and goes like stink. But it is a 380.00! Beyond that I know very little about where the sweet spot is in price/performance.

My goals are to play games with triple monitors and watch HD movies.

Did I leave money on the table with this choice by paying more and getting less? Should I get a cheaper card and overclock it? Too many choices.

Cheers
3 answers Last reply
More about what card choices
  1. The only reason to get the 2Gb card over the 1Gb card is if you plan to run Eyefinity over multiple monitors which you are planning on doing. Here is a review of the HD5870 2Gb maybe it will help your decision. http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/radeon-5870-eyefinity6,2595.html
  2. For playing on three monitors, the hd 5870 eyefinity 6 edition is the best bet.But the Toxic should handle games at a touch lower FPS than the 5870.
  3. EyeFinity?

Go for the more expensive HD 5870. Otherwise, you will be disappointed sooner rather than later as new games come out with higher requirements. I suppose when that happens you can always drop in another HD 5870 if your motherboard supports X-Fire.
Ask a new question

Read More

Graphics Cards Graphics