Your question

What card to buy? Too many choices.

Tags:
  • Graphics Cards
  • Graphics
Last response: in Graphics & Displays
June 20, 2010 2:28:09 PM

Hi All,

I am looking at my first PC build. Currently I've chosen to buy the Sapphire Toxic 5850 2GB card. Why? Because it got great reviews and goes like stink. But it is a 380.00! Beyond that I know very little about where the sweet spot is in price/performance.

My goals are to play games with triple monitors and watch HD movies.

Did I leave money on the table with this choice by paying more and getting less? Should I get a cheaper card and overclock it? Too many choices.

Cheers

More about : card buy choices

a c 1429 U Graphics card
June 20, 2010 2:46:19 PM

The only reason to get the 2Gb card over the 1Gb card is if you plan to run Eyefinity over multiple monitors which you are planning on doing. Here is a review of the HD5870 2Gb maybe it will help your decision. http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/radeon-5870-eyefini...
m
l
a b U Graphics card
June 20, 2010 2:48:51 PM

For playing on three monitors, the hd 5870 eyefinity 6 edition is the best bet.But the Toxic should handle games at a touch lower FPS than the 5870.
m
l
a c 365 U Graphics card
June 20, 2010 5:34:22 PM

EyeFinity?

Go for the more expensive HD 5870. Otherwise, you will be disappointed sooner rather than later as new games come out with higher requirements. I suppose when that happens you can always drop in another HD 5870 if your motherboard supports X-Fire.
m
l
!