ASRock z68 Extreme4 Firewire Chipset--TI?

perple

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2009
I have done an exhaustive search online, here, there, everywhere and cannot find the answer to this question: What chipset is used for the 1394 firewire on the ASRock z68 Extreme4 motherboard. Does anyone know? Thanks.

perple

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2009
Well how completely annoying! I mean me, of course. I looked everywhere (eh-hem...) but there in that article for that info. Thanks for this and for Tom's Hardware in general.

Noworldorder

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2011
I am a little slow; I just figured out now that this was not a off-hand question in a random thread.
Oh....buggers....I was really hoping to get that Z68 and give it to my daughter.
no one to blame but myself; I reaped what I sowed.

perple

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2009
Hey Noworldorder, I'm not sure what gets you to "Oh...buggers...", but I will be using my new build for a DAW music computer, so the chipset matters in particular for my audio intentions, as far as I gather. Texas Instruments-made chipsets seem to be the recommended 1394 chipset for audio work, that's why I asked the question. Depending on what your daughter uses her computer for, the VIA chipset should be fine, no?

Incidentally, I have gone with the ASRock z68 Pro3 (no firewire) and a Lacie 400 PCI card. TI chipset, gets great reviews, and cheap at Amazon.

Good luck!

Perry

Noworldorder

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2011
Well, thank you for that Perry! I guess I'm looking for ghosts.
My daughter wants a computer for video creation for her new website, and has asked me whether a PC or a Mac would be better. Well, I have no idea! That's not what I do.
So I am reading up and learning. Some say Avid, Some say Final Cut, some say Adobe Premier.
Some say PC, some say Mac. I have not needed video crafting so I have much to learn.