External USB RAID Device?

ittimjones

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2012
So, I have a bunch of USB flash drives that I've accumulated over the years. I want to use the storage on my network, but I want it to show as one single entity.

So, does anyone know of an external device in which I could connect a USB hub with multiple USB drives (or HDD's, or w/e) to that would RAID or span the media?

I plan on connecting the data to my router, as I have this router that can do alot with attached storage: http://www.asus.com/Networks/Wireless_Routers/RTN66U/

ocmusicjunkie

Honorable
Jun 6, 2012
If we are talking years of data, I would suggest you get it all onto more stable media and use that for your setup. Flash memory is not generally intended or expected to maintain itself over time for archieve situations nearly as well as a HDD platter will. Get a nice external enclosure and 5400rpm 2.5" sata II drive. Upload all the files to the drive with it internally connected to your pc (this will save days of bottlenecking the write speed via a usb connection), then move the drive to the enclosure afterwards. The enclosure plus a 320gb Scorpio Blue would be under $75....

ittimjones

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2012

Not even on the same planet of what I'm talking about... thanks for the reply tho.

FireWire2

Distinguished
There are some basic problems you have there with USB flash - it DOES not do well in RANDOM read and write...
When you try to W/R in the same device it slows down to 3~5MB/s. this is not a device you want to use... USB flash intends for portable