andyw80

Honorable
May 8, 2012
I am looking for any helpful info available:

I want a NAS to be accessed by an app outside my lan to stream video..mostly home videos

I have my book live now and it streams audio and pics great on a 4g phone which is plenty fast to stream video( I get 20Mbps in most places where I live)..but for some reason the streaming video with wd2go app really sucks..

I have been looking into synology nas but please give me your thoughts and experiences here...

Thanks

I doubt that would improve your speed, assuming that you even can access your LAN's NAS server from outside of your LAN properly to watch streaming video (maybe a VPN would do this?).

Basically, you'd need a phone that supports VPNs and a NAS that supports media sharing AFAIK.

Given that you'd stil be stuck using mobile internet, chances are that this wouldn't help IMO even if you can get it working.

andyw80

Honorable
May 8, 2012
But my 4g verizon phone speed is 20Mbps and up which is plenty fast to stream video so why doesnt it stream on my phone

Home pc is 15Mbps and streams perfect

Is it only the one application on the phone that has bad performance, or do other streaming applications on the phone have bad performance?

Keep in mind that this phone is a lot weaker than your HTPC and it's using mobile internet. It doesn't matter how high bandwidth it is, it's still wireless and subject to high latency and probably erratic connection strength. Even my laptops on WiFi are noticeably slower on my WiFi network than on my Ethernet connection.

andyw80

Honorable
May 8, 2012
i know netflix works awsome and so does youtube when streaming videos

I understand the latency issues And connection of wireless

I guess i just think at such a high bandwidth that could make up for some of that..and streaming a 10mb audio file is perfect while streaming a 13mb video file is awful

Audio has a much lower bit-rate, so it's probably much less impacted by a higher latency and more erratic connection than video. I'd expect the video to stream better if you reduced the quality significantly as a demonstration of this.

Netflix and Youtube work on the phone, but that one other program doesn't? Is that what you're saying? If that's the case, then it sounds more like an application-specific problem unless maybe if you were streaming much lower quality video on Netflix and Youtube which like I said, can be much less impacted by the kinks of a wireless internet connection.

andyw80

Honorable
May 8, 2012
So i tried to convert thes Videos to a much lower bitrate and video quality

They streamed right away

Thanks for help
Do u know why i dont get email notification of post even tho i have it checked marked
Does this ever happen to u