gf4 4200
gigabyte 7vaxp using on board lan

Windows 98 se
xp 1800
512 pc 3200 simpletech
radeon pro 128
Gigabyte 7vaxp
Using netgear wireless
computer is 30 feet away from router and 15 feet higher and get 80 to 90 % signal strength

All computers connect and run the internet just fine.
All but the windows xp pro can run counterstrike fine.
xp pro cant even see it.

pc 2 can see renegade lan game on pc 1 but cant join
pc 3 can see renegade lan game on pc 1 but cant join
pc 4 cant see it neither can pc 5.

Im to frustrated to check un2004 just yet or others.
I ran the network wizard setup on all the pcs. I assumed that they should all be able to see each other all the time and connect with no problem.

But it does not work that way, it sucks.
what the hell am I doing wrong or not doing
Need more info let me know got answers let me hear them.
Please.

versions are same updates are same on games
all bios are updated on pc's
all drivers are updated
My netgear router firmware is updated when I ask it to check attached devices it shows all computers.
All isp are on same subnet.

Life is like a bolt of lighting...unless you make and impact you won't be noticed. And believe me if you kick that tiger in the a.s.s you better have a plan for its teeth.<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by icedout on 10/06/04 08:41 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

folken

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2002
Is the firewall up on the xp pro machine? The wizard in pro likes to enable the windows firewall. Usually that would block it from even being seen but there is a chance it would do crazy things like this. Have you shared a file on your xp pro machine at all? I have found that pro doesn't like to have anything communicate with it via the network unless you share a file using simple file sharing once. Sounds crazy I know but it fixed all of the network problems on my machine.

<A HREF="http://www.folken.net/myrig.htm" target="_new">My precious...</A>

jlanka

Splendid
Mar 16, 2001
what folken said. Sounds like you're blocking critical ports (firewall is enabled).

<pre> \|/
jlanka (. .)
___________oOOo_(_(_)_)_oOOo___________
</pre><p>

Icedout

Distinguished
Sep 13, 2003
with the service packs installed it does bring the message up to unblock the specific program which I did and then check in the fire wall setting and that program was under the firewall exceptions, at least it was on the others I cant remember if I looked on the pro.

Problem is now I have no asus a8v and 64 3500 had to send them back due to a possible bad memory controller on the cpu but any other suggestions or comments in the meantime would be nice so i have quite a few things to try when it gets back

Life is like a bolt of lighting...unless you make and impact you won't be noticed. And believe me if you kick that tiger in the a.s.s you better have a plan for its teeth.

folken

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2002
You should disable the firewall completely on all of your machines. Your router is a hardware firewall so you don't have to worry about having a firewall on any of your computers. Even if it says the ports are open for the program I wouldn't trust the windows firewall with anything.
I would actually just disable all of those things in that microsoft security center thing. Disable the monitoring of everything and turn off auto updates and the firewall. I would NEVER trust microsoft with my security, lol.

Icedout

Distinguished
Sep 13, 2003
I thought about disabling the firewalls but since the netgear router supposedly has its own firewall that should do it, I hope. Well Monarch should get my board and cpu today or tomorrow so hopfully I get it back early next week. Then I will try the simple file sharing first and then disable the firewalls. On another note I can see only my xp machines under network but not the 98 any reason why?

Thanks for the input so far. :)

Life is like a bolt of lighting...unless you make and impact you won't be noticed. And believe me if you kick that tiger in the a.s.s you better have a plan for its teeth.

Icedout

Distinguished
Sep 13, 2003
i turned the firewalls off on the first and second machine still can't see cs from the machines. Im not much on knowledge for ip pings how to I do this?

folken

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2002
for pinging computers do this:
start>run
type in cmd and hit ok
type ping (ip address or computername)

for seeing the 98 machine on the network:
One thing to try is to make sure it has the same clients and protocols installed on the nic that all the other computer's have. 98 machines would not see eachother on the network unless they all had the same clients and protocols installed.
You can check what clients and protocols are installed on the network card here:
it has been a while but I think it is here in 98: right click on network neighborhood and go to properties.
XP: right click on my network places, go to properties, right click on your network adapter, go to propterties.

Icedout

Distinguished
Sep 13, 2003
okay I pinged all pcs from pc 1 windows xp pro and it pinged them all

I pinged all computers from pc2 windows xp home and it saw them all except pc 1 pro edition.

I pinged all computers from pc3 windows xp home it saw them all except pro edition and pc2 home edition (but I can see all drives in map network drive when I browse except for the d drive on pro which is pro it sees c which is 98 se

I have the firewall disabled on pro and have my ntfs drive open for share.

Life is like a bolt of lighting...unless you make and impact you won't be noticed. And believe me if you kick that tiger in the a.s.s you better have a plan for its teeth.<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by icedout on 10/19/04 02:32 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

Icedout

Distinguished
Sep 13, 2003
thanks for the advice,comments etc. problem fixed for now. :)