griptwister

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2012
Well, Let me start off by saying, I want something that's fast and effective, I was thinking about some sort of a raid configuration with a SSD and a HDD. But I'm thinking I may not. I don't think I'll need the SSD because I don't plan on over clocking my PC very much... If I do, It'll probably only be my GPU. So, would a SSD set up be worth it for me?

Almost forgot. I'm a fairly serious gamer. However, I don't require the fastest write times. How ever, If I could get a good deal, I might consider it. And I'm also considering a Hybrid drive. People keep pushing me to save for an SSD, but I don't feel they're too reliable right now... I want something that'll last.

Solution
Vertex 4 is a very reliable SSD and OCZ has a 5 year warranty on it.

SSDs have nothing to do with overclocking. You generally aren't supposed to put SSDs in RAID arrays. Putting differently performing devices, such as two different storage drives, in a RAD array is generally not ideal either.

The point of SSDs is usually fast read performance, not just fast write performance (in fact, reads are usually faster than writes).
Vertex 4 is a very reliable SSD and OCZ has a 5 year warranty on it.

SSDs have nothing to do with overclocking. You generally aren't supposed to put SSDs in RAID arrays. Putting differently performing devices, such as two different storage drives, in a RAD array is generally not ideal either.

The point of SSDs is usually fast read performance, not just fast write performance (in fact, reads are usually faster than writes).

Solution

enforcer1412

Honorable
Aug 28, 2012
I got a Crucial M4 128gb and I love it. Boot time is godspeed, take only around 4-5 secs and bam, u're in windows ready to use. Also the read performance is awesome, u click an application, they pop up right away, no more loading time =P~

griptwister

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2012

How long would an SSD last for me? And how do they burn out? When you export Data? I feel like I want to go the Hard Drive route, for Longevity and I also heard there are fast HDDs out there now. I'm probably going to be playing games and editing videos later.

whooleo

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2010

There are brands/manufacturers that make some very reliable drives such as Crucial, Intel, and Samsung BUT NOT OCZ! I highly recommend these brands (NOT OCZ!).

Vertex 4 is just as reliable as Samsung, Plextor, and Crucial. Only OCZ's older drives are unreliable. This is because unlike Vertex 3 and such, Vertex 4 uses a Marvell controller like Plextor and Crucial do.

I'd have to say that OCZ has a pretty good SSD track record I have a Samsung 830 which I love some like Crucial M4's some like OCZ vertex 3/4 some like samsung it's all amount of flavor. Also samsung's releasing there 840 here soon which destroys anything mentioned prior.

What games do you play. Games with load screens will load faster MMO's and some cases FPS's. Also I/O performance will be faster meaning your windows experience opening and closing applications system responsiveness.

griptwister

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2012

Lol, I think this is what sold me on a SSD. I think I'm going to go for a 256 Gig SSD. I hate waiting for windows!

Well I think for everyone its different but yes boot times are a bit faster. You may want to look at toms review on best ssd's for the money they do a good job at looking at all these drives. Also keep in mind any SSD at this point that is a modern SSD will blow away any hard drive you put in front of it period. Hope your SSD experience is a good one sir.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/ssd-recommendation-benchmark,3269.html

I'm not sure with the agility 3 but also keep in mind that different tiers of ssd's use different types of memory. For example the Corsair Force 3 Versus the Corsair GT SSD's the GT uses synchronous ram versus asynchronous. The Gt uses more gamer oriented memory. So you may want to look into that. I mean if you absolutely end up with a agility might look into the agility 4 its the newest agility revision. Also, SSD performance sometimes changes based on the size mainly on the lower capacity drives.

griptwister

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2012

When is that coming out?

enforcer1412

Honorable
Aug 28, 2012
I think SSD with 128 gb is enough since you do not want to use it for storage because if you write or move data on a SSD, it will decrease their life time, but usually a SSD now has around 3 years warranty so its not a really big problem. Still, it depends on your usage, my point is why buying a lot of space and you wont use it, right?

griptwister

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2012

Exactly what I've been thinking! However, I am considering a 2nd HDD just to store other files. I'll probably go with a 500GB for my second Drive.

Agility 3 is unreliable (due to a poorly implemented power delivery system for the controller IIRC) and has asynchronous memory which slows it down significantly compared to the otherwise identical Vertex 3. Agility 4 is comparably performing, but is much more reliable despite being very similar in pricing. It's not as fast as Vertex 4, but if you only want to best hard drive performance, not go for the gold in SSD performance, it is probably the best option.

That sale on the 830 is great, but what's so great about that M4 128GB price? The Vertex 4 128GB is both cheaper and faster. The same can be said for the Plextor M5S 128GB and the Samsung 830 128GB, all of which have incredible reliability too.

Oh, I'm just pointing out that he doesn't have to go with the cheapest OCZ tier with the sales that go on with SSD's. Trying to hit around his price range because it feels like its around the 120 gigabyte range and that 256 drive is just above it by 20-30 dollars.