5770 Random Slow Downs

bnot

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2007
So recently I purchased a Sapphire Vapor-X and it's been working great so far, but today when playing both Team Fortress 2 and GTA IV I suffered severe lag. On Team Fortress 2 I was just running around with hardly anybody on the screen when my FPS kept jumping from 60-10FPS and this lasted for around 30 seconds, I had the exact same issue with GTA IV when walking through a building. I haven't overclocked and I'm using the 10.4 drivers

System specs:

AMD Athlon 630 x4 @ 2.8GHz
Geil 2GB DDR2 RAM
Biostar GF8100 Motherboard
Seagate 250GB HDD
Corsair VX550

roonj

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2009
Have you checked if any background tasks were running?
The 10.6 drivers are out but that is (not) the issue, just offering the info.
You have more than adequate power for that system so don't see any issue there.
Can only see unexpected background task or heat throttle back as logical.
Doubt the cpu is throttling back from limited use (cool&quiet or C1E or power mode setting in windows) but you could temporarily disable these to see .

jonnyboyC

Distinguished
May 11, 2009

i would agree with C1E and cool and quite i ususally just keep it off, but i recently been keeping it on because it's not a problem in most games, but i recently started replaying fallout 3 and i would get the same thing, reveing down to like 8-15 fps then jumping back up to 60fps, so i turned both off again and it was fine i think the game wasn't demanding enough of the cpu so it would try to save power which destroyed performance

Hmmm when it comes to GTA IV lag its memory related, both system and Texture (gpu side) with a bloated page file. You can buff some of the lag out with more ram and fixing the size of the page file to ware more is stored in ram instead of over working your hard drive. As for TF2 it could be driver or memory since Source is no ware near as bloated as GTA.

bnot

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2007
I was playing TF2 earlier and this happened again, but a lot more often. Usuallu Alt Tabbing out of the game and back in fixes it, when I alt tabbed out I checked Task Manager and System Idle Process was killing my CPU.

bnot

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2007
I believe there was just one. Also I was thinking about Cool and Quiet being the cause but doesn't that only enable when the computer is idle?

jonnyboyC

Distinguished
May 11, 2009
well on my computer for some reason when i had C1e and speedstep, pretty much cool and quite, sometimes fallout would only put like 8% percent or something like that and downclock, for about 15 secs, then come back out of it, if anything you can just test it out, if it doesn't appear to be the problem just switch it back on

IROC_69

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2010
it happened to my 8800gt too will playing GTA IV and other games what i did
is that

opened up the case placed a large fan in front of the motherboard :sol: and wolla every thing just turned up well and good

i think this is because of overheating or it may be your gpu's fault it would still be in warranty just claim it :D

bnot

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2007
UPDATE: I left Everest running as I waited for it to happen again and when it did my temps were:

CPU 38 Celcius with the fan at 4000rpm
GPU 53 Celcius with the fan at 40%

These temps seem fairly reasonable to me so I don't think it's that. Also Alt Tabbing out of the game then back in sometimes fixes this problem, any ideas why this is?

You should have Cool n Quiet on your board, make sure you look for CnQ or C1/CnQ in the CPU section of the Bios.

TRENDING THREADS