Samsung 830 Series SSD SLOW now

interlaced

Honorable
Sep 3, 2012
I just built this system and everything was BLAZING fast.
Bootup in less than 15 seconds, Photoshop opened in less than 3 seconds. ALMOST Instant. Like I barely saw the splash screen.
Now? Longer bootups, and photoshop takes like 5+ seconds to bootup.
It's not even 50% full.

Could it be my motherboard? I posted another thread in the motherboard section and well, I basically took a screwdriver to the Dr Debug part on the AsRock Z77 Extreme4 and I heard scratching / cracking, I also took pliers and tried to pull it off and left a scratch across the top. I was stupid, I know.

What I'm curious about is, Is it my SSD that's messing up? Or my motherboard.

RealBeast

Titan
Difficult to say, I would do some diagnostics (run AS SSD http://www.filehippo.com/download_asssdbenchmark/ ) and post the results. Also some system info would help.

Are you running the drive in AHCI mode? Have you run the Samsung Magician?

My first thought is that if you caused damage, the system would be dead and not just wounded.

mad-max79

Honorable
Jul 12, 2012
Windows takes more time to but after some time, because most people install many applications with services and other running tasks which slows down your machine.
Please post some AS SSD number to check if there is something wrong with your machine.

interlaced

Honorable
Sep 3, 2012

Here you are. Seem's like a low score...

jnQEGmCjkVtuF.PNG

RealBeast

Titan
Nope, those scores look fine, better than many I've seen. I suspect that you indeed have accumulated too many non-essential services at startup and should review and at least delay some of them.

Also, if you have not already done so and don't use them, turn off any bios stuff that you don't use -- particularly extra sata controllers.

Kajcha

Honorable
Jul 31, 2012
Well... here are some things worth mentioning.
As I installed W7 (I did it more than 10 times), it used to boot up really fast (considering it's a HDD on a 2008 laptop). But then as I proceeded to add more programs, it would go slower and slower after every program. Also, installing updates and SP1 would make it a lot slower.
So the boot speeds, from brand new OS to something with programs I need for every day use, would go from 35 seconds to 100s...
Also, programs would load slower.

RealBeast

Titan
You can backup all your data or even a full system image to a spare or external drive with EaseUS Todo Backup (free). Then do the secure erase/re-install. One thing that will help prevent problems is to never let your SSD sleep or hibernate, just have the monitors use screen savers and power down after a while.

interlaced

Honorable
Sep 3, 2012
I just noticed another thing, when im doing a default windows system backup, i cant open the dvd drive. Only way I can is if I go to my computer and right click then press eject. It's irritating. After I do that, I can open it with the button. My whole system is having issues sadly.

RealBeast

Titan
Don't rely too much on the Windows backup, sometimes it works fine, other times it is useless. I use Ghost, True Image, or EaseUS Todo Backup to clone my SSD to another drive in my IcyDock after major changes and backup data to multiple devices. I've never had a problem restoring an image with any of those three.

With all of the issues that are happening, I would probably do a good backup and then a repair install, which should leave your data and programs intact -- just have to reapply all Windows updates. You need an SP1 Windows installation disk though if you have updated to SP1 from original Win 7. If you need one you can legally download it as an image from Digital River and use your key to activate.

interlaced

Honorable
Sep 3, 2012
Damn, just when I used a bunch of disks for the windows backup. I tries Easeus but it kept giving me an error. "backup the type of file or partition where the operating system is exists is not supported"

interlaced

Honorable
Sep 3, 2012
That sucks, I just used a bunch of dvd's for the backup disks.
I tries EasUS but i got this error "backup the type of file or partition where the operating system is exists is not supported"

RealBeast

Titan
EaseUS has some limitations. It will not backup an OS where the system and boot partitions are on different physical disks. This is one way around that: http://www.todo-backup.com/products/features/backup-drive-and-partition.htm AND then to restore do this: http://www.todo-backup.com/products/features/restore-image.htm

Also, AFAIK EaseUS still does not support the use of GPT formatted disks.

RealBeast

Titan
Those are all statistically the same, i.e. they are not a significant difference, and could not be noticed in real use. Every drive will act that way.

The real question is whether you have any more of the long pauses -- where you get no results at all. If that happens again, then you have a hardware issue.