• Graphics Cards
  • Crossfire
  • FPS
  • Graphics
Last response: in Graphics & Displays
June 20, 2010 6:17:20 PM

Hello,
Dear community please help me to resolve the following issue,

I have a very important question: Does it worth to add a second 4870 card to existing 4870, or not?

My system is:
Cpu: Intel Q9300
Motherboard: Asus p5q pro turbo (Intel p45 chipset)
Video: Two 4870 in crossfire 512 mb each, or one 4870 x2 2 gb
PSU: 750 watts with 4 pce-e connectors
Monitor: dell st2410 at 1980x1080 resolution. 5 ms response time

Originally I had one Visiontek Radeon HD 4870 512 MB, I didn't have any problems, games played smooth, but I played only Call of Duty Modern Warfare 1 and 2. I measured my FPS using FRAPS program and it was 60 FPS steel in both games. I decided to increase my FPS to 100FPS or more. I red numerous reviews and benchmarks about 4870 in crossfire and 4870 x2.

Then, I bought one Visiontek HD 4870 X2 2 GB. When I played these games, I did not see any difference from my single 4870. I measured fps with 4870 x2 and they were the same: steady 60 fps!!! So no difference between 4870 and 4870 x2 so far. I thought that it might be driver problems because 4870 x2 is crossfire on a single pci-e slot. Furthermore, even today with up to date drivers, ATI did not enable side port technology that was deemed to give an extra performance and to overperform two 4870 cards in crossfire.

I went further: To eliminate possible driver problems with 4870 x2, I purchased a second Visiontek Radeon 4870 512 MB to create 4870 crossfire configuration. I measured fps again and they were again the same!!! 60 fps in both games steel!!! I installed Test Drive Unlimited, old game, and measured fps with all possible configurations (4870 alone, crossfire, 4870 x2), still the result was 60 fps. So the question is, is it something wrong with my hardware? But everything works fine. I use up to date drivers so no question about old drivers.

I researched further, 60 fps is 60 HZ. In Windows or in Catalyst, in the display settings the refresh rate is preset to 60 HZ. And I think, it is how Windows controls the signal that comes from graphics card. It cannot get more than 60 FPS i.e. HZ from it, again it is my personal opinion. Here we come to discussion what is the difference between LCD HDTV and PC. HDTV have different refresh rates of 60, 120 or 240 HZ. Something, like graphics card, I don't know how it is called inside the TV, delivers TV signal to the screen at a refresh rate of 60, 120 or 240 HZ then the screen responds at its response time of 2,5,8 ms depending on the screen specifications.

In the PC, again my personal opinion, the refresh rate is produced by graphics card, and response time by the monitor. I have 5ms monitor, therefore I can watch movies at 200 HZ if my graphics card can supply me with a such fast refresh rate. But I have the fastest graphics card in the world that is capable of doing that, but even when I am watching movies, I am getting 60 fps. The next question is, can I watch blue ray movies with a refresh rate of 200HZ? Who limits the refresh rates or fps, Windows, ATI driver...? And I still do not understand, if my theory is right, if Windows limits the fps to 60, how in reviews and benchmarks, people were getting 150 fps from 4870 in crossfire in Call of Duty Modern Warfare?

Additionally, if I have 240hz LCD HDTV, and I want to connect it to my pc to watch blue ray movie, because I don't have a blue ray player, I am connecting it and my Radeon supplies it with 60 fps, What the refresh rate would I give from my 240 HZ HDTV?

Thanks for reading, but it is interesting topic.

More about : ati 4870 crossfire fps

a c 126 U Graphics card
June 20, 2010 6:38:26 PM

Your monitor's refresh rate is 60Hz so if you have V-sync enabled (either in CCC or in game settings) your FPS will never go over 60.

Disable V-sync.

Score
June 20, 2010 6:51:17 PM

Your eyes cant see more then 60fps...
Eyes cannot see improvement over 50fps, so dw.
Score
Related resources
June 20, 2010 7:04:10 PM

Rustyy117 said:
Your monitor's refresh rate is 60Hz so if you have V-sync enabled (either in CCC or in game settings) your FPS will never go over 60.

Disable V-sync.

^+1
Score
June 20, 2010 10:11:46 PM

Thank you very much my friends for the help. I found out what was the issue, but I still have some questions.

1. Monitor have refresh rates and response time. HDTV have refresh rate. 240 hz hdtv is much clearer than 60 hz hdtv. So I searched, there is no monitor with 240 hz refresh rate. 120 hz is the most you can find on the market. If I would connect my pc to 240 hz LCD HDTV, would windows identify it as 240hz, and would I get 240 hz (theoretically) if I would have two the most powerful video cards? Would I get 240 fps when watching a bluray?
Or, Would I get and outcome signal from the video card of 60 fps that would be synchronized with the refresh rate of 60 hz (as Windows would identify) ? I tried, and both catalyst and windows (I dont know whom to blame) identifies 240 HZ HDTV as 60hz 1080i HDTV. And I assume I cannot get 240hz from 4870 crossfire watching blue ray movie.

2. If all the monitors have the refresh rate of 60hz, why they need a response time of 5 or 2 ms??? 1 second is 1000 ms, so 5 ms is 200 hz. Why most expensive monitors have the response time of 2 ms if the cell is required to turn from darkness to light in 16.6 ms on 60 hz monitor?

3. Additionlly, I concluded that if the 99.9 percent of monitors on the market have only 60hz response time, it is unnecessary to have two powerful video cards because it is impossible to capture through monitor everything above 60 fps.

Score
a b U Graphics card
June 20, 2010 11:39:19 PM

peterisaev said:
Thank you very much my friends for the help. I found out what was the issue, but I still have some questions.

1. Monitor have refresh rates and response time. HDTV have refresh rate. 240 hz hdtv is much clearer than 60 hz hdtv. So I searched, there is no monitor with 240 hz refresh rate. 120 hz is the most you can find on the market. If I would connect my pc to 240 hz LCD HDTV, would windows identify it as 240hz, and would I get 240 hz (theoretically) if I would have two the most powerful video cards? Would I get 240 fps when watching a bluray?
Or, Would I get and outcome signal from the video card of 60 fps that would be synchronized with the refresh rate of 60 hz (as Windows would identify) ? I tried, and both catalyst and windows (I dont know whom to blame) identifies 240 HZ HDTV as 60hz 1080i HDTV. And I assume I cannot get 240hz from 4870 crossfire watching blue ray movie.

2. If all the monitors have the refresh rate of 60hz, why they need a response time of 5 or 2 ms??? 1 second is 1000 ms, so 5 ms is 200 hz. Why most expensive monitors have the response time of 2 ms if the cell is required to turn from darkness to light in 16.6 ms on 60 hz monitor?

3. Additionlly, I concluded that if the 99.9 percent of monitors on the market have only 60hz response time, it is unnecessary to have two powerful video cards because it is impossible to capture through monitor everything above 60 fps.

yes 60 frames are all that are needed
Score
a b U Graphics card
June 21, 2010 12:50:06 AM

peterisaev said:

Well, the higher HDTV refresh rate (120Hz or 240Hz) is usually through frame interpolation (ie use 2 frames and averaging them out for frames in between) and still only use a max 60Hz input signal. This is actually worse for gaming due to the lag of interpolating the frames in between.

peterisaev said:

so that the lag from signal going to monitor to actually being displayed is lowered

peterisaev said:

well, there are plenty of games that can push a multi-gpu rig below 60fps (ie Crysis, and Metro 2033)
Score
June 21, 2010 1:58:14 AM

Thank you all, I really appreciate your time. Now I see things clearer.
Score
a c 173 U Graphics card
June 21, 2010 2:08:19 AM

This is why people still hang onto those boxy CRT monitors and plasma TVs since they don't have a fixed range of resolution and support greater range of refresh rates as well. 85hz just for 2D is nice enough but in gaming its great.
Score
June 21, 2010 2:12:08 AM

look.. any display which can get 60hz, you no need more than 60 fps.. because there will be no difference..
your 4870 x2 is great..
Score
!