Need help with my stock CPU cooler for my Q9650

Hi all, am new to the forum :)
I am a bit concerned about my stock cooler's RPM, it is at 4000+ RPM at load and 2800-3200 at idle, it is not overclocked tho and i dont intend to do so...
CPU temperature is about 40-43C at idle and 55-63C at load

core temperatures at idle:
core 0: 43
core 1: 42
core 2: 44
core 3: 47

core temperatures at load:
core 0: 59
core 1: 60
core 2: 62
core 3: 58

Is this ok?

I just dont like the loud sound coming from my cpu fan when it is at 4150 RPM (at load) :(

Thanks guys.
7 answers Last reply
More about need stock cooler q9650
  1. u have one of the fastest prev gen processors there, the idle temps are a bit above my tastes, but all that matters is load temps which are quite fine, if you want more quiet operation you can go aftermarket for a nice 120mm heatpipe cooler, but other than that you are fine
  2. They are about right for the stock cooler, maybe a tad high at idle. What's the temperature in the room? And what sort of load did you use to test it?
  3. sportsfanboy said:
    They are about right for the stock cooler, maybe a tad high at idle. What's the temperature in the room? And what sort of load did you use to test it?

Temp in the room is 26-27 C, The load am talking about is when I play GTA IV
  4. Do you have decent airflow going through your case? Either way with the temperatures your getting, the chip will last longer than you'll want it.
  5. sportsfanboy said:
    Do you have decent airflow going through your case? Either way with the temperatures your getting, the chip will last longer than you'll want it.

Yah, I even keep the cover of my case off. is my ambient temp the cause?
  6. Your ambient temps are a little warm so your CPU is likely to run a little warm as well, as your using the stock cooler. Make sure the heatsink is properly installed, sometimes those pesky pins don't fasten well. Lastly, a good after market cooler for the q9650 would cost around $30.00 USD from Newegg and will absolutely solve your temperature problems.
  7. I have a Q9450, so I totally understand your problem. I got a Zalman 9700 pure copper fan/heatsink for my CPU, dropped the temps by about 10 degrees even at 3.2 ghz, awesome cooling power, the fins are always cold to the touch.
Ask a new question

Read More

CPUs Core Cooling