Wifi connections not detected, Please Help!

roxxi23

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2010
My pc is not detecting any wi-fi signals. I don't know why. So here's the deal. I have a Gateway all-in-one pc...it's a Z..something. Z4e or Z43, something like that. I'm sorry, but I just moved, can't find all my info and I don't know where to get the exact model description from this darn thing. My boyfriend has wi-fi set up in his apt and there are othere people here in other apartments that have open access wi-fi as well. Yesterday when I finally connected my pc I tried to get on the internet. Under "connections", I saw the name of my boyfriend's network and tried to connect. It had 5 little bars suggesting the signal strength was good, but it had that warning symbol, the yellow triangle with the exclaimation mark. So I selected it, connected, and on the bottom right hand corner next to the time and date, it had the signal bars, all in green, with the warning symbol, but still said "connected to network, no internet connection". He said there was a problem on his end. Something about the little boxy thing that he needed to replace and he had to reset it. But, there are other open wi-fi signals here that were detected and I had the same problem. I tried connecting with my BlackBerry, but is sooooo slow since my signal is sometimes blocked up here on the millionth floor. I almost gave up, but when I moved the pc about 5 feet away from the box, the symbol on my pc changed. Instead of it being green on all five bars with the warning symbol, it changed to all white bars, no symbol. And the internet worked. ???? I don't know how or why that happened, but it did. So today, when I tried to connect, I went to the little symbol to see what connections were available. NOTHING showed up except my BlackBerry, which obviously would show up since I use it as a modem and have my BlackBerry Desktop Manager software open whenever the pc is turned on. So I refreshed and still nothing but my BlackBerry. I don't know what happened. Can anyone help?? I have gone through all the settings and internet options and "network detections" is enabled. I went to my BlackBerry and checked if I could pick up wifi settings on it and all the same connections come up as they did yesterday and I was able to set my Blackberry up with no problem, but still nothing on my pc. :( I'm hoping to get a direct answer too, since it took me about an hour to be able to even get to this forum. Redirecting me to another post would be even worse! :( Thanks in advance.

It's possible you got close enough to overcome channel differences and just managed to cling on to a signal. In your computer, right click the wireless network icon in Control Panel>Network Connections and then on Properties and Configure. Seek out the Channel settings and set it to Automatic or Roaming so that your adapter can track the signal the router sends out, which ever channel that router is using.[/#000ff]