Turning off XP's ZIP integration

April 22, 2005 11:56:02 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

Is there any way to turn of XP's automatic ZIP archive integration?

This especially bugs me when performing a Search. How can I turn off
XP searching in ZIP archives?

I would also like to know if there is a way to turn this off in
Explorer and let me copy of Winzip handle all archive management.

Cyberdude
Anonymous
April 22, 2005 12:07:46 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

Winzip justs adds features, it does not disable XP's built in features.

Explorer and Search utility still automatically open ZIP files and
treat them like folders. That is what I want to disable.

Cyberdude.
Anonymous
April 22, 2005 12:32:30 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

Thanks!
Related resources
April 22, 2005 2:07:55 PM

"Cyberdude" <pnjtlxhzhgjb@spammotel.com> wrote in message
> Is there any way to turn of XP's automatic ZIP archive integration?
>
> This especially bugs me when performing a Search. How can I turn off
> XP searching in ZIP archives?
>
> I would also like to know if there is a way to turn this off in
> Explorer and let me copy of Winzip handle all archive management.

regsvr32 -u zipfldr.dll

** Post your replies to the newsgroup - Share with others **
For e-mail Reply: remove "DELETE", add "~VN56~" to Subject.
April 22, 2005 4:58:45 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

Hi Dude,

To turn off the ZIP folder integration, at start / run:

regsvr32 -u zipfldr.dll

To turn it back on:

regsvr32 zipflder.dll

Hope this helps.

--

Anando
Microsoft MVP- Windows Shell/User

In memory of Alex Nichol

Folder customizations
http://newdelhi.sancharnet.in/minku

Protect your PC!
http://www.microsoft.com/protect

"Cyberdude" <pnjtlxhzhgjb@spammotel.com> wrote in message
> Is there any way to turn of XP's automatic ZIP archive integration?
>
> This especially bugs me when performing a Search. How can I turn off
> XP searching in ZIP archives?
>
> I would also like to know if there is a way to turn this off in
> Explorer and let me copy of Winzip handle all archive management.
>
> Cyberdude

Anonymous
April 22, 2005 7:00:08 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

Not sure how to turn it off but I like Winzip application better therefore
installed it. Once I did that, I guess you could say it was turned off and
the WinZip application worked instead.

fyi; Not sure if that helps you at all.

"Cyberdude" <pnjtlxhzhgjb@spammotel.com> wrote in message
> Is there any way to turn of XP's automatic ZIP archive integration?
>
> This especially bugs me when performing a Search. How can I turn off
> XP searching in ZIP archives?
>
> I would also like to know if there is a way to turn this off in
> Explorer and let me copy of Winzip handle all archive management.
>
> Cyberdude

Anonymous
April 23, 2005 1:06:03 AM

On 22 Apr 2005 08:07:46 -0700, "Cyberdude"
<pnjtlxhzhgjb@spammotel.com> wrote:

>Winzip justs adds features, it does not disable XP's built in features.
>

>Explorer and Search utility still automatically open ZIP files and
>treat them like folders. That is what I want to disable.
>
>Cyberdude.

Close but no cigar. When you install WinZIP, by default it takes over
the extraction of any ZIP folder, unless you tell it not too. 99% of
users accept whatever defaults a program install routine uses, so 99%
of the time installing WinZIP will, in effect, disable the built-in
zipping utility.
!