Turning off XP's ZIP integration

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

Is there any way to turn of XP's automatic ZIP archive integration?

This especially bugs me when performing a Search. How can I turn off
XP searching in ZIP archives?

I would also like to know if there is a way to turn this off in
Explorer and let me copy of Winzip handle all archive management.

Cyberdude
6 answers Last reply
More about turning integration
  1. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

    Winzip justs adds features, it does not disable XP's built in features.

    Explorer and Search utility still automatically open ZIP files and
    treat them like folders. That is what I want to disable.

    Cyberdude.
  2. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

    Thanks!
  3. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

    "Cyberdude" <pnjtlxhzhgjb@spammotel.com> wrote in message
    > Is there any way to turn of XP's automatic ZIP archive integration?
    >
    > This especially bugs me when performing a Search. How can I turn off
    > XP searching in ZIP archives?
    >
    > I would also like to know if there is a way to turn this off in
    > Explorer and let me copy of Winzip handle all archive management.

    regsvr32 -u zipfldr.dll

    ** Post your replies to the newsgroup - Share with others **
    For e-mail Reply: remove "DELETE", add "~VN56~" to Subject.
  4. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

    Hi Dude,

    To turn off the ZIP folder integration, at start / run:

    regsvr32 -u zipfldr.dll

    To turn it back on:

    regsvr32 zipflder.dll

    Hope this helps.

    --

    Anando
    Microsoft MVP- Windows Shell/User

    In memory of Alex Nichol

    Folder customizations
    http://newdelhi.sancharnet.in/minku

    Protect your PC!
    http://www.microsoft.com/protect

    "Cyberdude" <pnjtlxhzhgjb@spammotel.com> wrote in message
    > Is there any way to turn of XP's automatic ZIP archive integration?
    >
    > This especially bugs me when performing a Search. How can I turn off
    > XP searching in ZIP archives?
    >
    > I would also like to know if there is a way to turn this off in
    > Explorer and let me copy of Winzip handle all archive management.
    >
    > Cyberdude

  5. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

    Not sure how to turn it off but I like Winzip application better therefore
    installed it. Once I did that, I guess you could say it was turned off and
    the WinZip application worked instead.

    fyi; Not sure if that helps you at all.

    "Cyberdude" <pnjtlxhzhgjb@spammotel.com> wrote in message
    > Is there any way to turn of XP's automatic ZIP archive integration?
    >
    > This especially bugs me when performing a Search. How can I turn off
    > XP searching in ZIP archives?
    >
    > I would also like to know if there is a way to turn this off in
    > Explorer and let me copy of Winzip handle all archive management.
    >
    > Cyberdude

    On 22 Apr 2005 08:07:46 -0700, "Cyberdude"
    <pnjtlxhzhgjb@spammotel.com> wrote:

    >Winzip justs adds features, it does not disable XP's built in features.
    >

    >Explorer and Search utility still automatically open ZIP files and
    >treat them like folders. That is what I want to disable.
    >
    >Cyberdude.

    Close but no cigar. When you install WinZIP, by default it takes over
    the extraction of any ZIP folder, unless you tell it not too. 99% of
    users accept whatever defaults a program install routine uses, so 99%
    of the time installing WinZIP will, in effect, disable the built-in
    zipping utility.

Configuration Microsoft Zip Windows XP