Sign in with
Your question

Installing games from cd on another hard drive

Last response: in Storage
October 12, 2012 11:19:38 AM

Hi all I need some help installing games on my second hard drive. I can install games but most of the time I get errors about cab files or files that cant be read.

on my C drive I never ever get problems installing games. I have a very clean second hard drive that is weekly checked and cleaned using defrag and cleaning tools. my windows seven is fully updated and I have no problems with my avg. also my avg is not blocking anything and I have turned it off to see if it makes any difference. It doesn't!
please could someone offer some help?

many thanks Richard
a c 375 G Storage
October 12, 2012 12:47:26 PM

Are these legitimate games or pirated? If they are legitimate, contact technical support as this should not be happening. I install games to secondary drives all the time with no problems. If they are pirated, well, you get what you deserve.
m
l
October 12, 2012 3:44:58 PM

they are from CD and sometimes it happens from steam. steam is installed on my second hard drive and normally when it gets to 70-75% that's when the error with cab file appears.

thanks for quick reply
m
l
Related resources
a c 375 G Storage
October 12, 2012 4:07:36 PM

Is the drive full or near full? If so, it may just need more space. Have you run a chkdsk against the drive? If not, open a command prompt (possibly as admin) and type:

chkdsk d: /f

substituting "d" with your drive letter. For a longer more thorough check, you can use:

chkdsk d: /f /r

but be warned, this can take a while depending on how large the drive is.
m
l
a c 91 G Storage
October 12, 2012 4:18:40 PM

bad connection? bad cable? how old is the disk?
m
l
October 12, 2012 4:42:27 PM

hi I have 244gb free and the cd's are f1 2011, 2012 okay because of steam. I think the problem started when I upgraded to windows 64 bit

also last week i put new cd drive in....
m
l
!