Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Buy now or wait for sandybridge + usb 3 + pcie 3

Last response: in CPUs
September 30, 2010 4:49:13 PM

hey guys just wanted to ask... i am thinking of building a new rig. should i go in for an i7 920 now or wait for sandybridge to come out. U know since the mainstream ones will come out before the enthusiast processors.

also i was wondering whether it would be wise to invest now or wait a few months until usb 3.0 is fully implemented as well as pcie 3...

one more thing, will usb 3.0 eventually replace all usb 2.0 ports on future MB's. coz most of the Mb's now have like 2-3 usb 3.0 ports
a b à CPUs
September 30, 2010 5:30:38 PM

Hello and welcome to the forums
Well if you want to wait,you can't every buy anything, because there is always something new around the corner.
Go with i7 920(or 930 which is better and costs the same i guess) and a
USB 3.0/Sata6.0 motherboard, and you'll be fine.
m
l
a b à CPUs
September 30, 2010 5:39:17 PM

I don't see PCIe 3 having any advantages over 2 right now, much like the extremely limited usefulness of USB 3/Sata 6... they're just too new at this point and very little in the market even supports it, and the ones that do barely utilize the full potential.

So on those points, not a big deal, and you can get them now anyway if you need it.

As for sandy bridge, well... From what I've seen it's maybe slightly better but mostly on par with current CPUs depending on your price range. The biggest benefit being a good onboard graphics but if you want discrete anyway, that shouldn't matter.

So all you're left with is a CPU much like current ones, but with less overclocking support.

I'll keep final judgement on sandy bridge for when it comes out and there's some real reviews on it, but at this point as an enthusiast I think you're fine to just buy now.

Oh one last thing, you can get the ECS P55 AK (something along those lines) if you don't need/want an i7 9xx CPU. The mobo is about the same cost with the same features as decent X58 mobos (USB 3, SATA 6, 16/8/8 PCIe lanes for triple SLI/CF), but you can save cash on the CPU and with dual channel (vs triple) RAM. But regular P55 boards are just fine too.
m
l
Related resources
a c 81 à CPUs
September 30, 2010 7:13:26 PM

The launch of SandyBridge might bring about a dip in the current CPU prices from both the camps.. Howeve, waiting or not is your call.. If you do have a system currently and are pretty ok with its performance, then i'll recommend you to hold on to it for a little more time..
m
l
October 2, 2010 5:53:23 PM

ok ...thx for your replies guys......

i actually need to upgrade..have a very old.... p4 1.9 ghz compaq presario with onboard 845 g graphics.... the only thing making the system run smoothly is that i have 1.5 gb ram onboard......

i am looking to build a system with i7 and either gigabyte gtx460 sli or an Ati equivalent......

it might be used for some crazy hackintoshing.....(yeah i like snow leopard).. but thats just as a part time project...

the reason i asked abt pci e3 and usb 3 was because i dont plan to build another new one after this for another 3 years...

but looking at the products...not many are able to utilize the full potential of usb 3 and pci3 till now.....

i just dont want to end up buying sumthing that gets "unupgradeable in a few months time" (like when we bought the presario.... AGP went out and Pcie came in..my MB didnt have PCIe support then)

thx for the info on the prices for i7's hoping sandybridge brings down the others prices.!!!

just one more question ...any cards from ati in the gtx 460 range or maybe in gtx 460 sli range...
m
l
a b à CPUs
October 2, 2010 6:23:31 PM

^The HD5830 is the 460 equivalent, while the 5970 is the SLI equivalent.
m
l
October 6, 2010 5:56:22 PM

yup... was reading the 5850 review...how is that in comparison to the 5830 and 5770....

hoping that ati ...oops amd comes out with their new offerings before christmas......

i really hope sandybridge brings down mainstream i7 prices....

gtx 460 seems to be a second choice right now...with the problems mentions getting things working on insanelymac....i might just end up settling for gtx 470....

but am seriously looking at amd
m
l
a b à CPUs
October 6, 2010 6:05:42 PM

Well the first new offering from AMD, apparently the 67xx series, will be unveiled very soon (22nd?). At the same time, Nvidia is going to price cut their GTX460 and release the GTS430. I think the 6770 will be around the performance of a 5830/GTX460 give or take a bit, if the rumours are right about the performance boost over 5xxx.

GTX470, given that they are around the same price as a 5850, are the better deal of the two right now. They seem to do slightly better with tesslation and AA, however, as an owner of two 5850s in CF I can say that these are very good cards.
m
l
a b à CPUs
October 6, 2010 6:43:56 PM

deletemach_kernel said:
ok ...thx for your replies guys......

i actually need to upgrade..have a very old.... p4 1.9 ghz compaq presario with onboard 845 g graphics.... the only thing making the system run smoothly is that i have 1.5 gb ram onboard......

With that old of a system, either an i7 or SB will give you a huge performance boost, so it depends on whether you can wait 3 months or so, or need something immediately.

My last build was a Q6700 system with an 8800GTX, which is still adequate (barely :p ) for quite a few games, so I'm waiting on the performance-level SB and Bulldozer next summer and will decide then.

As for USB 3.0, remember that Intel is coming out with Lightpeak sometime in the next year or two..
m
l
a b à CPUs
October 6, 2010 7:33:07 PM

USB 3.0 is already here.
Waiting for PCI 3.0 is illogical and not worth it. Its not even hit the market yet properly. Becoming mainstream will take quite some time.
However, waiting for SB is logical and its your call. An i7 950 which costs almost the same as i7 930 these days, should last you another 3 years of happy gaming to say the least!

m
l
October 7, 2010 11:08:24 PM

i would buy now if i were you, if you wait then something new will be there on the corner and then you gonna wait again, and again till the cave man age comes back and you will spend the rest of your life without a computer :D 
m
l
October 18, 2010 6:43:13 PM

hahahaha....i like that one...but i wont till the end of time ...just another 3 moths....have loads of exams in between...am eve n typing this while on my break......

but yeah sure am waiting for SB in the hope that it will drive prices down here.....

just got the cost for a new system....cant believe it...but here in India... a gigabyte gtx 460 is almost worth twice its cost in $!! :( 
m
l
a c 81 à CPUs
October 18, 2010 8:00:43 PM

deletemach_kernel said:
just got the cost for a new system....cant believe it...but here in India... a gigabyte gtx 460 is almost worth twice its cost in $!! :( 

Don't worry.. The launch and a full fledge availability of the ATI/AMD Radeon 6XXX series will surely bring those prices down..
m
l

Best solution

a b à CPUs
October 18, 2010 9:36:56 PM

I agree with most, as I think it would be a good idea to wait a bit. As mentioned, you have Sandy Bridge and the new ATI line of 6xxx GPU's coming out fairly soon. Not to mention it wouldn't hurt to see what MOBO makers will bring to the market in terms of USB 3.0 and SATA 6 connectivity, i.e. hopefully make it standard on some boards. Plus, you'll be able to save up a bit more to get what you really want as time goes on in the coming months.
October 23, 2010 7:23:14 AM

Best answer selected by deletemach_kernel.
m
l
!