Window taking long time to boot/general questions...

Dewm

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2009
Hey I have a couple general questions, any help would be great. thanks..

1. I have a SSD and the i7 960, but yet windows takes me on average 42 seconds to start up, which is slower then my $600 Dell that has XP, any ideas to why its taking so long to start up? (Start up: time I hit the button to the time I see the desktop)

2. My CPU is running at a average of 39C/102F, is that pretty good? what can I do to improve it.

3. Are there any programs out there that let me monitor my CPU temp from windows?

thanks for all the help!

Specs:

Antec 1200 Case.

LG Flatron 23" monitor.

ASUS P6TD Deluxe ATX Intel Motherboard http://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod [...] 6813131403

Intel i7 960 3.2 GHz

OCZ Gold 6GB (3 x 2GB) http://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod [...] 6820227365

OCZ Vertex 2 SSD (50GB) http://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod [...] 6820227528

CORSAIR CMPSU-850TX 850W Power Supply http://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod [...] 6817139009

SAMSUNG Spinpoint F3 500GB http://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod [...] 6822152181

CoolerMaster V8

XFX ATI Radeon HD 5870 1GB Video Card http://www.portatech.com/catalog/v [...] =27306&r=p

Solution
1) You need to run a SSD in AHCI mode for TRIM support. Without it, you will degrade your SSD, which means i'll run slower. Here is a quote from sminlal on how to switch to AHCI after the fact.

tecmo34

Administrator
1) Did you set your BIOS to AHCI for the Controller or left it at IDE

2) Your temps are within safe limits (fine) but I would have thought they would have been lower with the V8. I would recommend running Prime95 for 2+ hours and let us know what your full load temps are, which is more important than idle (unless way out of wack :) ). Yo

3) I would recommend getting HWMonitor or RealTemp to monitor your temps from Windows.

Dewm

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2009
I didn't mess with any of the settings in the BIOS, just left it at stock from ASUS. Whats the difference between AHCI and IDE?

Yeah I just replaced the RAM because 1 of the original 3 sticks where bad, so I ram Prime95 for 4 hours last night. But with one of these temp monitors i'll run it again tonight and watch the temps.

And yeah, I would thought the V8 would keep it lower also. I have its fan speed turned all the way up, which it says its running at around 2100 rpms, so maybe I didn't do the thermal past right? but I spead it thin and over the whole thing....I dunno.

tecmo34

Administrator
1) You need to run a SSD in AHCI mode for TRIM support. Without it, you will degrade your SSD, which means i'll run slower. Here is a quote from sminlal on how to switch to AHCI after the fact.

2) Okay... Hopefully, your temps stay under 70C

3) You can always try removing the heat sink, clean off both the heat sink and CPU and reapply the thermal compound using a pea size dot in the middle of the CPU. The pressure of the heat sink application will spread the thermal compound (most widely used. Here is a good site providing more details on application methods... Square-Base Application

Solution

Dewm

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2009
Ok i'll look into the AHCI and the IDE (i've been doing a little reading this last hour, online)

As far as re applying the thermal past, lol, the V8 has a back plate, and so I would have to take the mobo out to re apply the past. hmmmm

I'm 99.9% sure I applied it correctly.

What is the risk involved in changing the reg edit? can I fry my system at all? :S

Dewm

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2009
From what I can tell it looks like CD drivers dont' like to run on AHCI, is it possibly to only turn 1 or 2 SATA ports on to AHCI?

While I was looking around it seemed like what people were doing is putting the HDD's on south bridge.

and putting the CD drives on Jmicron Satas. and then setting one up for IDE and the other for AHCI...

is there any truth of this? or anything? or am I nuts...?

tecmo34

Administrator
What are the CD drives doing because I've never heard of this causing an issue (which me never hearing about it does hold a lot of weight though :) )?

It is an option to put your DVD drives on the JMicron controller and set it to IDE. You can try that and see how that helps.

Dewm

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2009
Aight so I switched it to AHCI, and it appears everything is working (AKA my CD/DVD drive does work)

My "Winodws experience rating" wen't from 7.2 to 7.5, and it always values the score from the lowest score, in this case my "Disk data transfer rate" wen't from 7.2 to 7.5...

BUT, from the time I hit the button to when I see my desktop its still about 40 seconds, And I was thinkin about it last night, and I think I gave you bad info, its not that Windows is taking so long to boot, but only about 7 seconds of that 40 is for Windows. The rest is for the BIOS....So is there a way to speed up my BIOS? or is that a lost cause.

And I ram Prime95 last night for 3 hours, and at the end of the 3 hours this is my temp reading

Core,0 68C
Core,1 68C
Core,2 66C
Core,3 64C

So my temps are pretty high, but didn't breach the "70C" that you had said, and this is all processors running at 100%, so am I alright?

Thanks for the help!

tecmo34

Administrator
1) Typically, the BIOS are what they are but I've always heard to disable the JMircon controller helps speed things up a little but I'm not sure if you are using it now or not. For example, my X58 takes about 10 to 15 seconds before it posts, which is normal for the board (slower booter :) ) but once that kicks in, I'm looking at about 20 some seconds before I'm at the desk top.

2) Your temps are just fine!! :D

Dewm

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2009
Oh and one last question, you mentioned that I wanted AHCI with my SSD for TRIM support, what is trim? do I need to install something? or does it just come with it?

thanks!

punit_pandya

Honorable
Oct 31, 2012
hi frnds i had this same problem of xp taking so long to show desktop screen after boot up .... i followed some advise of cleaning junk files , temp folder ,registry cleaner ..Nothing worked .... i deleted some registry folder in software folder in REGISTRY LIST which were'nt necessary for me .... I DELETED ADOBE FOLDER , SAMSUNG KIES FOLDER AND I RESTARTED PC AND IT BOOT UP IN 2 SEC .... THIS IS A REAL SOLUTION TRY ....
I HAVE THIS SOLUTION ITS VERY EASY BELIEVE ME ..JUST REMEMBER WHICH SOFTWARES OR HARDWARE U INSTALLED RECENTLY JUST DELETE THAT PROGRAM FOLDER FROM REGISTRY FOLDER ... BY RIGHT CLICK (DELETE) AND RESTART YOUR COMPUTER.......

STEPS

1) Start , Run , regedit.exe

2) HKEY_CURRENT_USER , OPEN +SOFTWARE ,
DELETE RECENT INSTALLED PROGRAM FOLDER

3) HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE , OPEN +SOFTWARE ,

4)HKEY_CURRENT_CONFIG , OPEN +SOFTWARE ,

AND RESTART YOUR PC .......
after restart u can install that program again wont be any issue...

PROBLEM SOLVE NOW C YOUR SPEED WILL BE DOUBLE OF BOOTING

DONE THANKS :bounce: :D

REGARDS
Punit_pandya