Sign in with
Your question

If I have my GPU's fan running at around 50-70% most of the time...

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
June 20, 2010 8:39:20 PM

will it substantially decrease its life time?

I always had my GTX 470's fan running on auto (40%) and it didn't seem to increase much even during gaming sessions. Highest I've seen it was up to 50ish % and the GPU reached 93C playing SC2 >.>

I just downloaded MSI Afterburner and set up my own user defined settings. I have it idling at 45% fan speed, then up it one %/C until about 70C, then after that the fan goes up to about 80%.

Is this fine or will it harm my card in the long run by using the fan too much?

If not, can someone give me a nice little set up for the fan speed?

More about : gpu fan running time

June 20, 2010 8:42:31 PM

the gf100 (fermi) architecture theoretically is designed to handle high heat. so the stock fan settings shold be fine. however, it wont damage the fan to use it. after all, it is meant to do that. besides, its cheaper to replace the fan everntually than to replace the whole card.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
June 20, 2010 10:59:05 PM

shovenose said:
the gf100 (fermi) architecture theoretically is designed to handle high heat. so the stock fan settings shold be fine. however, it wont damage the fan to use it. after all, it is meant to do that. besides, its cheaper to replace the fan everntually than to replace the whole card.

agreed 10 bucks vs 350 pretty simple, but i fell you won't significantly decrease your fans life if you keep fan speed at 80 or below, keeping it at 100 all the time will wear your fan down alot quicker but 50 to 75 is no problem
m
l
a b U Graphics card
June 21, 2010 12:18:48 AM

Sure using anything will wear it out, but it should last for a long time under normal usage, just make sure to not strain it by having poor airflow or putting extra thermal load on it from other parts. Just be smart and it should last for a long time, remember people F@H with their graphics cards and have been for a while, so expecting steady loads for long times is quite common.
m
l
Related resources
!