reach10

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2010
So I was looking around newegg recently and i stumbled across a set of RAM on the homepage offering GSkill(2x4GB) for $99. I thought this was very strange and almost(ALMOST) upsetting to think that I had bought my GSkill(2x2GB) for nearly double ($92) what 8GB runs now less than 8 months ago. So being the curious behind-the-scenes kinda guy that I am I was just wondering what has caused the price of RAM to be cut almost in half in such a short amount of time. I understand that as technology grows companies find more efficient ways of producing their products but dropping from $100 to $50 before my build has even reached its first birthday is just unheard of to me.

Noworldorder

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2011
RAM prices have dropped slightly in the last year, but the decline is slowing and probably bottoming out.
Being one who purveys RAM every day. Allow me to say I believe you are mistaken about a price drop of almost 50% in this time frame.
I suspect that you are looking at 2x4Gb sticks with different parameters from the ones you purchased. Even on sale there would not be that big a drop - certainly not for Gskill!
Compare model #s, cas, voltage, and speed between the two sets. I am sure you will see a difference.

reach10

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2010
I definitely do not check every day so I am not exactly sure on whatever "math" I had used in saying a 50% drop. What I do know is this:

I had bought G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600
Model F3-12800CL9D-4GBRL less than 8 months ago for $92 from the egg.

That same EXACT RAM now runs for $49.

The G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 w/ the same cas, voltage, and speed runs for $95

Other companies are also running about $99 for (2x4GB)

Now again I don't know if its just because that Ripjaws series has aged or what but all companies seem to have dropped significantly at least for (2x2GB)

huron

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2007
I had noticed this too, but can't specifically explain to you why the prices have dropped so significantly. I had thought they would go up based on the disaster in Japan, but haven't seen much recently relating to that.

Noworldorder

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2011
It is true that the 2 x 2 / 4Gb kits prices have dropped about 40% due to the price pressure of value kits from Adata, Crucial, and Team, while their low-latency and high-speed cousins, as well as larger kits are dropping much more slowly. For example, my RAM; F3-12800CL7D-4GBECO was $75 shipped 6 months ago, now it is $70 shipped. Only 7% because it is rarer.
Your particular kit, the F3-12800CL9D-4GBRL, is selling by the thousands, allowing it to be produced in larger, cost-effective batches.

Actually, I am surprised RAM prices are as high as they are; we all remember a bunch of companies, including Samsung and Toshiba, getting caught with their hands in Micron's the cookie jar:
http://www.tomshardware.com/news/European-Union-Price-Fixing-DRAM,10462.html
I feel there is still something fishy afoot; with 4x4 / 8Gb kits hardly budging by single digits over the last year, while smaller kits are on the skids.

reach10

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2010
I had also thought that if anything they would have been at a higher price than they are now since the Japan fiasco. Although i assume Japan is "too good" for that kind of work and leave that to China, Thailand, and Malaysia. Anyways thanks for the input guys, I was just making sure i wasn't crazy seeing a 40% drop in price in less than a year.

huron

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2007
I agree about the collusion deal, but thought the Japan ordeal would have caused them to skyrocket again.

I'm never going to complain about parts being cheaper and better, but it is interesting.