Ccc 10.6 xfx 5770 memory clock not dropping

fusk

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2009
Hi there, i updated ccc to 10.6 today, and noticed that the overdrive settings where reverted back to default, so i went in and changed the clock settings to what i had before, but i noticed that the memory clock does not drop afterwards, it stays at the current setting, but not the core clock, it drops to 400mhz.
So if i set memory clock to 1350, it stays at 1350 and does not drop as it used to do.

if i disable overdrive, the clocks will drop to 157/300 mhz, as soon as i enable it, it'll stay at 400/1350 mhz.

Is there a way to fix this, maybe something i can reset?

D3LTA09

Distinguished
May 19, 2008
As far as I am aware and was the same for me on 10.5, as soon as you change default values for either memory or core clocks ccc will set your 2d clocks to 400/x OC memory clock. You can change the 2d clocks by creating a profile and editing it but unsure if this gets around this as I only enable my OC profile when gaming so my 2d clocks are always set to defaults.

fusk

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2009
as zipzoomflyhigh is saying, that is also my experience.
I ran my 5770 at 930/1320 and in 2d mode it would drop to 157/300, but now it's running 400/1320 causing idle temp to be quite high.

About creating a profile, maybe i should try that, sounds like a workaround.

But i've read around the web, that it seems to be a windows 7 problem, people are reporting that it does not occur on vista or xp.

I also had the same issue with 10.5/10.6, reverted back to 10.4 and everything went back to normal.

My 2D clocks were showing 157/1150 making my idle temps jump to 45c, now its back to 157/300 @ 34c.

How hard can it be to get it right? lmao! AMD drivers are pathetic..

D3LTA09

Distinguished
May 19, 2008
I have the same problem with 10.5 and 10.6.

My memory clocks used to drop from 775/1125 to 157/300. Now it only drops to 400/1125.

Like you say, if I disable ATI overdrive, it goes back to 157/300. This is causing my idle temps to be almost as high as load temps.

I can't figure it out.

Delta09, not really sure what your saying but I overclocked the card the day I got it and I assure you the 2d clocks were 157/300, not 400/XXXX. Just recently did it switch to 400/1125. It's puzzling really because I don't want my memory or core running so high when I'm in 2d mode.

Yea your correct what Im saying is that this feature has been introduced (it would seem) to the 10.5 ccc drivers onwards and yes it is a pain in the ass for most but apparently the idea aimed at fixing stability problems in cf or eyefinity cant remember which, pretty sure it was cf, for some users. Best way around is just have an OC and a stock profile set to hotkeys then you can change in split seconds without even opening CCC and can have nice cool temps on desktop and other non intensive uses.

Kinda like Nvidia's 196.75 causing cards to overheat and fail?

I would not know because I jumped from 195.xx to 197.xx. Anyways its not a secret, NV's driver are superior, the reason I say this is because of the simple fact that you cannot apply v-sync when needed in certain games. In more than 15 years of using NV cards I never had an issue with the v-sync regardless of the game, never had a GSOD, never had flickering unless I messed up by not fully removing any previous driver, basically never had this much screen tearing in my life

[:digitalprospecter:4]... not a HAPPY ATI Customer ATM.

Of course the card is flawless, its just the software.. It's not quite there yet, the 5 series has been out long enough, we deserve some decent drivers.

D3LTA09

Distinguished
May 19, 2008
Personally I have no issues with v sync as never use it in drivers or in games, of course that means some times get a bit of screen tearing but fairly minimal at most. If thats the only reason nvidias drivers are superior than doesnt really bother me tbh.

Yea well try viewing a Blue-Ray and have screen tearing, im not talking games only. When I had my 260 all I had to do was go into the Nvidia Panel and "enable v-sync", from there on everything was CRISP and CLEAR with no tearing at all.