AMD Athlon II X4 640 3.00Ghz or Intel i3 530 2.93Ghz

Status
Not open for further replies.

chloefreak17

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2010
both around the same price but which would be better for gaming and HD video editing?
Probably gonna be used with a ATI 5850 and 4gb RAM
thanks in advance :)

You heard wrong. Gaming is primarily about the video card. The CPUs actually have little to do with it these days. :sol:

Not true. Gaming is primarily about the video card provided the CPU is fast enough to give it breathing room. Try pairing a 5970 with a 2GHz single core machine and see how far it gets you.

^^, the Athlon II is actually quite sufficient for gaming and remember that tom's benchmark comparing CPus under 140USD, the quad core Athlon does quite well against the core i3, and CPU wont bottleneck it too much unless u go Crossfire

Agreed, I just wanted to clarify for OP's sake that the CPU is still an important factor.

OP includes video editing in his requirements.. On that aspect, the quad core easily outpaces the dual core.. Further, they are equally clocked.. Thus, dual core being a minimum requirement for gaming nowadays, the quad easily wins the verdict.. Both CPU's can (and will) get bottlenecked easily for a dual or more video card setup depending on the cards.. Overclocking to the rescue then and this is the only aspect on which the i3 530 may edge out the X4..

The only thing you forgot was that the i3 is faster at a given clockspeed per core. Equally clocked does not mean equally performing per core. Otherwise I agree.

Status
Not open for further replies.