Sign in with
Your question

Need help with a $1000-1200 Workstation Build

Last response: in Systems
July 28, 2010 7:03:35 PM

Hi I am an Applied Math PhD student and my department will reimburse me up to 1200 on PC parts for a new Office Workhorse PC. I do lots of Computational intensive work, I am familiar with and prefer CUDA GPU's. I've built several computers in the past but always bare bones so not sure how or what to get for a workhorse. Also, I will have to purchase Windows as one of the programs I use only has a windows license (Ansoft HFSS). Thank you all in advance for advice. I'm a long time lurker, first time poster.

APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: Within 1 Month

BUDGET RANGE: 1000-1200 After Rebates

SYSTEM USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT: Lots of Computational work and Simulations( Mathematica, Matlab, Ansoft HFSS, Comsol Multiphysics, Genetics, etc) No Games, except the occasional online poker game

PARTS NOT REQUIRED: Keyboard, mouse, Monito

Parts that I Found and Might be useful: I've scoured my department and found an OCZ Game Extreme 700W power supply and I am not sure if It would be enough power or not. Also, we have a 1.0 TB 7000 WD hard drive laying around as well as a 500GB 7500 WD hard drive I can have if they will work.

PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PARTS: Newegg, Tigerdirect, any other really that is trustworthy

COUNTRY OF ORIGIN: USA

PARTS PREFERENCES: None

OVERCLOCKING: Maybe

SLI OR CROSSFIRE: Maybe

MONITOR RESOLUTION: any widescreen as we only have widescreen monitors

ADDITIONAL COMMENTS: Prefer it to be quiet.
July 29, 2010 11:19:09 AM

The GameXStream line isn't 80+ certified and for a non gaming rig a quality 380 - 500W 80+/80+ bronze shall serve u well ^^ Actually depending on your apps/software could be a professional class GPU nets ya the best gains ^^
m
l
!