HT not showing for Pentium 4

Joe_Carr

Distinguished
Sep 13, 2010
Ok I did today get the Pentium 4 3.06 gHz processor and I did put that in and took out the Celeron D 2.4 gHz but I noticed that I don't see it showing as HT. I thought mine is now a HT type processor. Do I need to do something to enable the HT?

Thanks

Joe_Carr

Distinguished
Sep 13, 2010
This is for the same Dell 170L machine I was talking about before. I did while back ordered the CPU but it just came in today since it came from China. I did install it and it does work but I just don't see it say that it's a HT. I' am pretty sure all 3.06 gHz Pentium 4 processors are HT. I remember somewhere I read that it said I needed to install something in order to make it use the HT that the CPU has.

SLC6PG on your chip refers to a Intel® Pentium® 4 Processor supporting HT Technology 3.06 GHz, 512K Cache, 533 MHz FSB

So with this in mind, have you checked the bios to see if there is an option to switch on hyperthreading as the Celeron doesn't support HT.

Mike_m

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2008
i dont know what OS the OP is running but for at least XP and possibly the following Operating systems, (This could be true for Vista and 7 as well, never tried) If you installed the OS with only a single core or single threaded CPU, it dosen't install multi-threading support. Only way to get it working is to re-install the OS.

Mike_m

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2008
Verify that your BIOS supports Hyperthreading first (The 3.06 is the only Northwood core P4 that was HT enabled so if your BIOS was written with the rest of the product line in mind, it may not be HT compatable. Prescotts are where HT support really took off). Verify as well that you are running the latest BIOS rev. If you are confident that the HW supports it, then yes a re-install is your final and nessesesary step.

Joe_Carr

Distinguished
Sep 13, 2010
Ok I did went to bios and I noticed that HT was disabled so I enabled it and it looks like it's working since at first it did detect the multi cpu drivers and stuff and then I rebooted and now I see on the task manager and on performance it shows like it's a dual core. So everything seems to be working. But I guess that HT will never be close to a same speed dual core right? Since I did ask you guys and you said it won't be as fast as a dual core. But I wonder what difference will this make now that I have HT. Like should my games run better? What will happen?

someguy7

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2007

Not correct. I have a 2.8 socket 478 northwood with HT.

Hey I am glad to see it worked out.
HT will help with Windows XP operation since it is a mutlthreaded OS.
Primarily you will notice a difference when you have multiple open applications.
Also video/audio encoders like DVD Flick, Format Factory, Handbrake etc will benefit.
Those are multithreaded apps.
Mainly it should feel a little bit "smoother" when running multiple apps.
How much and what kind of memory are you using?
Memory plays a big part in how fast a system runs.

power supply is 250 watt but it's a Dell so it's probably closer to 300 watt.
the card slot is a pc-i and not agp.
self-correction..

THe 170L SFF only has pci so that is why recommended a nvidia 6000 series (last PCI series I believe).
The 6200 is the cheapest.
The 6600GT or 6800GT would definitely be better but in PCI they would be hard to find and pricier though a 6800GT would breathe
some life into that machine :D
His PSU should be able to handle it.
My Dell Precision 450 360watt PSU powers 2 IDE HD,two DVD-RW,Nvidia 7600GS,PCI Cooler,Two CPU's,80mm case fan,Audigy 2 EX Platinum sound card
and assorted USB devices (USB TV Tuner) and that PSU is original (2004) to case.
The Dell PSU's back then at least were underated.

" The Dell PSU's back then at least were underated. "
very very much so..

I dont mean to hijack a thread but...
I noticed that my PSU is rated 360watt.
I also noticed that my each of my two 12v rails is rated 15amps.
So if E x I = W than 12v x 30a (2x15amps) = 360 watts.
I think it is a 30a PSU using split rails since I doubt an OEM would use
a true independent two rail PSU.
I know your a former Dell tech so I wanted your opinion.
I wonder if Dell got its total wattage from 12v x Amps or it is just coincidence
that the math works out that way.
If it is true than my PSU would be closer to 450 total watts with adding the other rails (5,3.3 etc)

I think with the Precision series it is a safer bet to push the PSU than with the Dimensions since they were home based.
The Optiplex was a business class so I think the PSU can be pushed a little harder.
Of course that is if the Taiwanese caps don't blow up! LOL
Dell is still paying for that one....
And Michael Dell is possible facing jail time for insider trading...
And HP and Nvidia are facing possible class action...
More reason than ever to do custom builds!