Sign-in / Sign-up
Your question
Solved

P67/i5 2500k Price Trends

Tags:
  • Motherboards
Last response: in Motherboards
a b V Motherboard
May 20, 2011 7:45:05 PM

I've been keeping an eye on Sandy Bridge parts prices over the past several months to build a new system. I've pulled the trigger on the new case and the DDR3 since I've found great deals at newegg. However, it seems like the P67 MBs and the 2500k prices seem sticky -- it doesn't seem to be falling as I would expect.

I have not been a computer component price watcher for long, so I don't know what to expect over the next few months. I do not need a machine right this minute; I don't need one until this fall for Battlefield3. However, the apparent lack of variability in motherboard or 2500k pricing even in the face of intense competition in memory and case pricing has led me to believe that my vigil for price reductions is in vain.

As a note, I do not have a microcenter nearby so their brick-and-mortar deals are out. We do have a frys, but the only attractive deals I've seen from them recently are on the 2600k, which I just -- don't need. I am keeping an eye on slickdeals, but so far -- no dice.

Anyway...any idea as to what kind of price drops we saw with core2duo or with the first generation core series consumer-grade MBs and CPUs?

Another note -- I do have camelegg (newegg) and camelcamelcamel (amazon) price watches up but the price of both the motherboard I'm looking at (ASRock P67 Pro 3) and the 2500k have been constant for at least a month. In the case of the 2500k, it's been constant since mid-March.

More about : p67 2500k price trends

a b V Motherboard
May 21, 2011 9:16:49 PM

Just a bump -- any thoughts on this?
m
0
l
May 21, 2011 9:34:40 PM

fullofzen said:
Just a bump -- any thoughts on this?

just go ahead wih the purchase. trust me cause i never regretted the purchase of my 2500k. i got it as soon as it hit the shelves :sol:  . So buy the proc now, bloat about it and enjoy. else brood over no price fall :D  , wait for sometime, buy it,watch the market refresh :pt1cable:  and then notice a price fall, then brood and crib all over again :cry:  . i vote for option 1 :D  .

also while you are at it make sure you have a good GPU!!! :bounce: 
m
0
l
Related resources
a b V Motherboard
May 21, 2011 9:51:49 PM

Intel cpu prices really don't drop much, in fact sometimes they go up.

Look at the Q6600, it never dropped. E8400, it never dropped more than $10 before going up.
m
0
l

Best solution

a b V Motherboard
May 23, 2011 2:19:34 AM

You can keep monitoring components at Newegg and sometimes you can get your components on sale. The Intel i5 2500K is a hot seller and there is little change that it will be discounetd in the next 6 mos. But mobos are different. The P67 is being downchanneled for the Z68 and the P67 prices are coming down slowly. I find that P67s have come down about $10-15 since the introduction of the Z68. The ASRock P67 Extreme6, for example came down from a special discount to a regular price of $204, and seems to be slipping to $194.
If you are willing to take a chance and are vigilent you could opt for an open box item. They are rare, but you receive the same warranty. CAUTION, CHECK THE NEWEGG POLICY ON EACH ITEM IF YOU GO FOR OPEN BOX -- MAKE SURE YOU ARE WILLING TO TAKE THE RISK. There is no replacement from Newegg, only a refund if you have to RMA an open box component.
You might try monitoring techbargains.com for sales on components. They often have alerts to Newegg and other sites for computer components. Subscribe to the e-blast at Newegg so you keep abreast of sales.

The ASRock prices dipped a little, but rebounded. If you have the time I'm sure you'll see a bargain come up. But is it worth the $10-15 for the wait?

Good luck.
Share
a b V Motherboard
May 23, 2011 7:46:40 PM

Best answer selected by fullofzen.
m
0
l
a b V Motherboard
May 23, 2011 7:47:17 PM

Went ahead and made the buy: i5 2500k and P8P67 (non-pro; no SLI needed). Figured that 3 months of watching prices was enough!!!
m
0
l
a b V Motherboard
May 23, 2011 10:58:45 PM

Congrats. Let me know how you like it.
m
0
l
May 25, 2011 1:10:31 AM

Another thing to think about is what will the cost be if you amortize or spread the cost of the computer or components out over the expected life or usage of the computer. Divide the higher early dollar cost out over 12 months, 24 months or 36 months and you can see that the cost works out to not be that much. You can also divide by weeks or even days and the extra cost will likely be just pennies a day. For instance, $100 divided by 365 days is less than 3 cents a day. Over 3 years about a penny a day. Is it worth a few extra cents to get what you want now? I think so.
m
0
l
May 26, 2011 5:25:48 PM

fullofzen said:
Went ahead and made the buy: i5 2500k and P8P67 (non-pro; no SLI needed). Figured that 3 months of watching prices was enough!!!

a real wise choice indeed ;)  . Congrats :bounce:  and put some pics of your rig, overclocking benchies etc anythin..
m
0
l
a b V Motherboard
May 26, 2011 5:33:34 PM

warlord1609 said:
a real wise choice indeed ;)  . Congrats :bounce:  and put some pics of your rig, overclocking benchies etc anythin..


You would not believe the hackles that I would raise from my wife if I were to start snapping shots of my computer. Or maybe you can imagine it. I don't know, but I'm not gonna try :non: 

But -- I will convey to you that it does look pretty slick. I picked up an antec six hundred case to go with it -- looks really nice with the P8P67 through the plexi-window. Very sharp.

The P8P67 has been a good little board so far; overclocking is a little more complex than I feel I'd been up-til-now led to believe -- it's not just a matter of upping the multiplier in the UEFI and rebooting. The "auto-voltage" feature pushes the core voltage _way_ too high, pushing Prime 95 load temps up to 80C for a core or two. So I'll be learning to fiddle with the manual voltage as well; for now, it's back to the stock clock until I pick up a Hyper 212+.

The temporary excursions were really just to ensure that the board could handle the overclock so that I can RMA before 30 days.
m
0
l
a b V Motherboard
May 26, 2011 6:40:37 PM

fullofzen said:
You would not believe the hackles that I would raise from my wife if I were to start snapping shots of my computer. Or maybe you can imagine it. I don't know, but I'm not gonna try :non: 

But -- I will convey to you that it does look pretty slick. I picked up an antec six hundred case to go with it -- looks really nice with the P8P67 through the plexi-window. Very sharp.

The P8P67 has been a good little board so far; overclocking is a little more complex than I feel I'd been up-til-now led to believe -- it's not just a matter of upping the multiplier in the UEFI and rebooting. The "auto-voltage" feature pushes the core voltage _way_ too high, pushing Prime 95 load temps up to 80C for a core or two. So I'll be learning to fiddle with the manual voltage as well; for now, it's back to the stock clock until I pick up a Hyper 212+.

The temporary excursions were really just to ensure that the board could handle the overclock so that I can RMA before 30 days.


One of the advantages of the ASRock UEFI is that if you use their stepping it adjusts all of the variables for you. It may be the ultimate overclocking board -- you may be able to achieve higher overclocks on other boards -- but you can easily overclock a 2500K to 4.8 GHz. And it also allows you to make the adjustments yourself so, if you experiment, you may be able to get even higher overclocks than they build in for you.
m
0
l
May 26, 2011 7:42:34 PM

chesteracorgi said:
One of the advantages of the ASRock UEFI is that if you use their stepping it adjusts all of the variables for you. It may be the ultimate overclocking board -- you may be able to achieve higher overclocks on other boards -- but you can easily overclock a 2500K to 4.8 GHz. And it also allows you to make the adjustments yourself so, if you experiment, you may be able to get even higher overclocks than they build in for you.



Hey Chester, good answer. Thanks for the info.
m
0
l
May 30, 2011 12:44:39 PM

fullofzen said:
You would not believe the hackles that I would raise from my wife if I were to start snapping shots of my computer. Or maybe you can imagine it. I don't know, but I'm not gonna try :non: 

But -- I will convey to you that it does look pretty slick. I picked up an antec six hundred case to go with it -- looks really nice with the P8P67 through the plexi-window. Very sharp.

The P8P67 has been a good little board so far; overclocking is a little more complex than I feel I'd been up-til-now led to believe -- it's not just a matter of upping the multiplier in the UEFI and rebooting. The "auto-voltage" feature pushes the core voltage _way_ too high, pushing Prime 95 load temps up to 80C for a core or two. So I'll be learning to fiddle with the manual voltage as well; for now, it's back to the stock clock until I pick up a Hyper 212+.

The temporary excursions were really just to ensure that the board could handle the overclock so that I can RMA before 30 days.

Well I am 19 and studying, so I wouldn't understand family issues so early. But the board definitely looks promising. So let's see once you get ur cooler. Anyways I wish u all the best
m
0
l