No beep, hangup on AGP LED, P7P55D-E Pro, XFX HD5870, Best Buy return?

rockgardenlove

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2009
Hi,
So I shipped my computer back from school, and it no longer boots. More specifically, the post process halts at the VGA checking.

My card is an XFX HD5870. I've had some problems with my video cards before and this is the second RMAd card. The XFX folks suggested that something else in my computer might be the problem though as they said the cards tested okay.

Anywho, I was wondering if anybody had any ideas here? If I take out the card entirely and try to boot, I get the one long three short beep pattern indicating AGP probe failure. With the card in, I get nothing. I've tried resetting the CMOS, including leaving the battery out for a while.

So, I was thinking:
Would it work to go to Best Buy, buy a card to test my computer with, and then return it? I'm trying like crazy to find somebody with a desktop computer, but I'm the only gamer in my friend group and I can't find a rig to swap parts with.
Has anybody ever tried this?

Thanks!

Solution

dtemple

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2006

I work at Best Buy. They take returns for 30 days on all computer accessories, including videocards, with the receipt. No restocking fee. They will only ask you when you return it, if it's because it's defective (so they know whether or not to put it back out on the shelf).

Solution

n595093

Distinguished
May 20, 2011

Hah, shipping computers is often a scary event. "Would it work to go to Best Buy, buy a card to test my computer with, and then return it?" This question isn't really a hardware related question, more of a best buy's return policy question. If you are asking if trying a different video card would yield positive results, there is only one way to know, anything else is speculation. I still use a few older motherboards that have a small panel that lights up and displays error or debug codes. I love that feature. This might sound silly, but are you sure the monitor is plugged in, turned on, all cables are good, and it's trying the right 'source'? Many monitors have multiple inputs, so you could be drawing off of the wrong source. If your video card has other ports, I'd also try those. Typically, the 'del' key is the default key to press to get into bios. If you just keep on hitting that you may see something. I imagine a delay in display and an error in your OS.
Does your motherboard have an integrated video card? If it does, you would -very- likely need to boot with your monitor plugged into it's port and enable the agp video as default. There are countless possibilities and many options of who knows and what ifs. I'd say your best bet would be to take it to some guy who knows what he is doing. You might have to spend a few bucks, you'll survive.

A lot of people hope to recieve free troubleshooting expertise on websites such as these. Even when you are lucky enough to come across someone willing to help out a stranger for absolutely nothing, you have to keep in mind that there is an extreme limitation of knowledge in this sort of circumstance, and thus, an extreme limitation in what the generous individual can do or say. I guess this is my little rant on the general use of many techy type forums.

Call your motherboard manufacturer, go on Craigslist and find some tech support guy and toss him a 50 or so. Or keep on praying that you'll magically fix your broken pc.